MAF or Coil Packs?

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Hi, need some advice....

I've had my LCR for over a year and had a coil pack and MAF replaced 12 months ago when getting my remap.
I never noticed a problem back then other than a bit juddery in acceleration.

Now however...I am getting what must be Limp Mode. The EPC and Traction control light come on and no power over about 50 mph.

I had noticed recently that it was very juddery when cold and slightly jerky when accelerating..but didn't seem like mis-firing though I'm no expert..
Also when I was turning the engine on the Revs would climb to about 2.5k before settling back down to idle.

Does this all sound like the MAF or a coil pack??

I want it sorted coz it's annoying having to stop and restart car when it happens and I don't want to be doing it any damage?!

Thanks!

andycupra

status subject to change
do you find you typically have the poor running in the first 5 miles or so of driving?
i say this as the high revs issue is often seen if there is an issue with the coolant temp sensor. and so possibly when cold its not running right due to wont temp info?

failure of maf brings up traction control light, but the car would still drive 90% ok so the no power over 50mph does not support this.
However you could try unplugging the maf and running in case its not completely failed.

Otherwise the issue sound potentially like a coil pack failure to me, this is where id put my efforts.
Many people raises threads when a coil fails and say the car shakes, shudders etc and many dont say its a misfire but it turns out to be a coil.
It reads like you replaced one coil at time of remap? if so further failures might have been anticipated, carrying a spare is a good idea, and would help in sich a situation as you can change each in turn to see if it helps.

scanning it would be a good idea to confirm.

Last edited:

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
I'd want to scan that.. could be a few issues

How old are the plugs?

I replaced all plugs 12 months ago when getting the remap, MAF and 1 coil changed...

The EPC and traction light come on now all the time...as soon as I try to accelerate over 3k revs!
If I stop and turn it off/on I can be left with ONLY the Traction light which drives ok until the EPC comes back on!

Il take it to my local tuner/garage and get it scanned...
Would it be worth changing all coil packs even if only the MAF shows a fault?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Very easy. Probably only 5mm Allen key and a slotted screwdriver (to release clips) required

andycupra

status subject to change
coils as said are easy to replace
10 mins work taking it easy.
easy.

cylinder 1 and 2 you can change with no more than a flat screw driver to unclip the connections and easy up the coil packs.
3 and 4 you will need an allen key to undo the bracket holding the vac resoivoir which sits above cyl 3 and 4. just undo the bracket, you can move it out of the way without undoing any pipework.

The coils simply push fit onto the spark plugs, so its an easy job.
However take care removing the electrical connectors / dont just jank the coils upwards if the electrical plug is not removed as it will likely given suddenly and you might jank the wires..
Many will want to raise the coils a little prior to removing the electrical connector. try using a flat head screw driver to ease it up, possibly two (one each side) to avoid inducing a bend on the coil.
Raise the coil a bit, then remove the electrical connector, then pull the coil upwards.

Refit is reverse. When they go into the spark you should get a small/suttle 'click'. Its good to push the coil 80% of the way in, then plug in the connector then push home.

This will all make sense when you do te job, its really not easy, just dont approach it heavy handed.

If was doing this id replace then 1 at a time or in pairs to assertain which coils may have been faulty. As if you do this you can then keep the ok coils as spares.

Last edited:

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Thanks everyone... Booked the car my local tuner who replaced the coils etc last year when remapping.

Il update this afterwards...

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Update...
Got car scanned today, problem was the Throttle Body.
Got it reset with vag-com and hey-presto no more problems!l

My local tuner fixed it for free too..bonus!

grahamd22

would anyone be able check and possibly do the same for me in the Surrey/South London area as I have replaced the lambda sensor, MAF, DV but haven't done the throttle body yet as I think that was the last thing to check? :whistle:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise