Upgrading to H.I.D. lights...?

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
I appreciate this is topic that's been covered before, though something I know next to nothing about.

Firstly, is there a difference betweent Zenon and H.I.D. lights?

Secondly and this ties in with the first, I quite fancy the idea of one of upgrading to one or the other. Something of very good quality and excellent illumination is what I'm looking for.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.:)

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
New laws on retro fitting H.I.D now, but seems as though MOT testers differ.

Btw, where abouts in Essex are you?

Luke

james91

Sep 13, 2012
About MOT testing i think they are changing the testing regulations to comply with the law more, i think you will need the headlight washers and the auto leveling headlights to pass the MOT.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2011
Essex
About MOT testing i think they are changing the testing regulations to comply with the law more, i think you will need the headlight washers and the auto leveling headlights to pass the MOT.

Not too fussed about the MOT and what the law thinks about H I D s. I've got another year till the M O T. I'll simply take em out and re fit after the M O T.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Hid and xenon are the same thing. They're not an mot fail, but are illegal.

You want H7R bulbs and IMO 5000k colour. Very easy to fit. Best of getting the slim ballasts as they're easy to hide away

Aug 8, 2011
Essex

You want H7R bulbs and IMO 5000k colour. Very easy to fit. Best of getting the slim ballasts as they're easy to hide away

5000k colour? So an option if choice is present when buying an H I D kit?

Has anybody compared various manufactures H I D kits?

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
5000k colour? So an option if choice is present when buying an H I D kit?

Has anybody compared various manufactures H I D kits?

they're most likely all to be roughly the same, a lot of buyers have preferred BAY sellers...you'll be safe with any slimline HID kit and H7R bulbs on standard reflector headlights...

go for 5000k (ice white) or 6000k (a tiny tinge of blue)

Sinfield

Feb 12, 2012
Wellingborough

They are now an MOT failure. Not sure of the stipulations but I know they're either a fail now, or will be in the near future.

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
They are now an MOT failure. Not sure of the stipulations but I know they're either a fail now, or will be in the near future.

and so the debate begins AGAIN... lol

aftermarket HID kits are NOT an MOT failure reason, if your car has xenon headlights factory fitted along with a headlight leveling system and washers/ wipers then all these components must operate correctly.

The MOT tester can however fail your car for the following reasons :-

if he is unable to measure the headlight level due to a scattered beam pattern (common problem with HID kits)

Or

if he deems that you do not have the correct type and colour

so this opinion will differ from examiner to examiner naturally as they dont have a device to measure light colour

here endeth the debate

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
and so the debate begins AGAIN... lol

aftermarket HID kits are NOT an MOT failure reason, if your car has xenon headlights factory fitted along with a headlight leveling system and washers/ wipers then all these components must operate correctly.

The MOT tester can however fail your car for the following reasons :-

if he is unable to measure the headlight level due to a scattered beam pattern (common problem with HID kits)

Or

if he deems that you do not have the correct type and colour

so this opinion will differ from examiner to examiner naturally as they dont have a device to measure light colour

here endeth the debate

He might also fail you if he doesn't like the look of you or don't shake his hand with tenner in it before the M O T !;)

Finan

i went jap.. :O
Jan 18, 2009
Eíre
bebo.com
How is the light output with 6000K?
I've been wondering about getting 3000K aswell.
I know 3000K are yellow but in Ireland the law doesn't care as long as the lights are BLUE BLUE or Purple

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
As said above, it depends on the tester.
I just put standard bulbs back in at MOT time if he doesn't like the HIDs.

I find that with 6k bulbs they look a little blue when they are first turned on but when they warm up they look exactly the same colour as LED sidelights.
Also they are twice as good as regular bulbs in the dark. Most my driving is on countryside A-roads where it really is noticeable.

I do see a lot of chavs with none reflector HIDs that just blind everyone coming the other way :censored: So make sure you buy the right ones and fit them correctly with the beam height adjusted correctly.

:rolleyes:[B)]

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
As said above, it depends on the tester.
I just put standard bulbs back in at MOT time if he doesn't like the HIDs.

I find that with 6k bulbs they look a little blue when they are first turned on but when they warm up they look exactly the same colour as LED sidelights.
Also they are twice as good as regular bulbs in the dark. Most my driving is on countryside A-roads where it really is noticeable.

I do see a lot of chavs with none reflector HIDs that just blind everyone coming the other way :censored: So make sure you buy the right ones and fit them correctly with the beam height adjusted correctly.

:rolleyes:[B)]

I'm after brilliant/super white, not keen on any of the colours. I do a fair amount of driving on country roads.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.