1.4TSI 125bhp

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
Hi,

Just wanted to ask is the 1.4tsi of the Leon like the Mk5 Ibiza one ?
Asking only cause I know they have alot of oil burning/consumption issues which I had too with my Cupra
Anyone had similar issues please cause I'll be getting one soon ?
Thanks in advance guys

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
Did you test drive one mate? As when I did, it had all the extras I wanted, but was too slow and had poor fuel consumption.

If you are coming from a Cupra you might be disappointed...

I'm really not so concered about performance anymore as I already got really disapppointed with the oil consumption, so till it doesn't have any engine issues like that I'll be quite happy
At first I was gonna get a Cupra R but financially wasn't gonna be a good move so I saw what options I had instead and decided to get this one
Hoping for the best now :whistle:

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
That is good consupation

That's good constipation? I bet it is, mate :cartman: :p

Anyway, as far as I know all TSI engines are oil burners, there's even a part on the owner's manual where they clearly state this. However, the engine's oil consumption will mostly depend on driving habits, environment temps and humidity factor and how well one kept low revs during the first 1k miles of the car's life.

Last edited:

Subc

May 12, 2008
Scotland
I have a 2008 moodel and its Fantastic, No Oil loss and it feels like a 2 litre I have a twin exhaust btcc dont know if that makes much difference but feels nippier than my Mrs FL one we have two cant fault it..

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Did you test drive one mate? As when I did, it had all the extras I wanted, but was too slow and had poor fuel consumption.

If you are coming from a Cupra you might be disappointed...

Poor mpg?

I get between 38 - 40 in mine on the daily commute.

I've had 57 mpg on the motorway & did a round trip of Manchester - Edinburgh - Manchester on 1 tank of fuel.

Mines never missed a beat & never lost any oil.

Strange... But the one I test drove (and I drove it like I would a daily driver, ie gently) was poor mpg, I saw about 32-34mpg

Don't get me wrong, that's not terrible, but if you see 32mpg from a 2L Golf GTI (MK5) you want to be seeing a bit more than 32-34mpg for a 1.4 engine nearly 80hp less

I also test drove a MK6 Golf 1.4 160 and that had dreadful mpg (admittedly not the same spec of the Leon)

That's the main reason for my view :)

Was a nice car, hence why I still stuck with the Leon just went for the FR TDI instead.

Last edited:

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Seany

I've had my 1.4Tsi for 13 months now.

after 7 months i had to replace my front tyres as it had rubbed all the tread away on the inside edges. So it'd eaten new tyres in 7 months & 4K miles. This was due to bad wheel alignment.

I had the Hunter 4 wheel alignment done when i got the tyres replaced & funilly enough my MPG return improved.......

Bad alignment is a common problem with the Leon. so the first thing to do if you *think* your not getting the MPG return you should be, is to get the wheel alignment checked to make sure its not off.

Hitting anything, pot holes, speed humps etc can knock out your alignment......

worth keeping a check on anyhow mate

Reactions: Jon Wright

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Strange... But the one I test drove (and I drove it like I would a daily driver, ie gently) was poor mpg, I saw about 32-34mpg

Don't get me wrong, that's not terrible, but if you see 32mpg from a 2L Golf GTI (MK5) you want to be seeing a bit more than 32-34mpg for a 1.4 engine nearly 80hp less

I also test drove a MK6 Golf 1.4 160 and that had dreadful mpg (admittedly not the same spec of the Leon)

Was a nice car, hence why I still stuck with the Leon just went for the FR TDI instead.

Not a true representation though is it, a 15 minute test drive? Yeah you might go on the 70 roads but only for a couple of miles not giving you time to offset all the fuel used in accelerating to that speed in the first place! My average is still changing even when the cars done a few hundred miles on the trip

Feb 10, 2012
Newquay
If its new this engine seems to take a while to improve as when new i couldnt get more than 30mpg after 6000 miles its now doing 40 and seat say its at its best after 20k

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012

It's a relatively small engine in a fairly heavy car, so you'll be pushing it harder to make decent progress.

With those 1.2/1.4 Leons etc there's good economy to be had, but you have to drive it carefully, and not be in a hurry. Drive it quickly and you'll get 2.0T economy without most of the performance.

Diesels are much more forgiving to uneconomical driving.

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
Seems pretty fair
Car should be mine in the coming week :D
Think it's the last Leon coming out of the showroom before the Mk3, it has some 60th Anniversary sticker at the back. All extras included excluding panoramic roof, not sure if it has to do with the anniversary thingy
Colour is Track Grey, will post some pics when I get it !

I think it was a 2010 and had done about 7000 miles so most likely had to be worn in a bit more.

Don't get me wrong, I am not slating the car at all, just giving my personal view, I didn't buy the 1.4 based on that test drive, and I was test driving a lot of cars at the time and did give it a fair run, basically drove it how i'd drive most of the time daily (ie like a granny!) and just was not impressed with the mpg I was seeing, it had been warmed up and it had been running at least 20 minutes before I was making my judgement, I am no newcomer to these cars :) My friend bought a diesel Merc and it was showing 35mpg after a long test drive at even speeds, and I warned them against it, lo and behold, they bought it, and after many many miles, they still struggle to see 35-37mpg from a diesel! So the test drive in that case had been correct.

It's each to their own, if the mpg mentioned above are true then it would be a nice car to have if you didn't need the power of the petrol or diesel FR/Cupra range.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise