After 19 months of issues it's good bye!

Ianmr

Mar 17, 2011
Well after the car being in and out the garage since I bought my Cupra for one reason or another it's finally needing a new engine :(

Can't say i'm surprised, using over 1L of oil every 1000 miles and just sounds the same as everyone else that's had the issues.

Decided it's time to move on and get a car i don't have to worry about on a daily basis, giving me a chance to get something slightly bigger and manuel.

I'm going to miss the Cupra, great fun to drive and very fast, if it didn't have the issues i wouldn't even be considering getting rid, i just hope seat fixes the Cupra before they start selling the face lift.

Bought my self a a Silver Mk5 Golf GTI and can't wait to collect it on Tuesday :D

Hoping it will be just as fun when required but more than comfy for my daily driving. :funk:

Mar 13, 2010
Ive drove a mk6 for a few weeks very comfy and quick enough.

Its a good plend of practicality and performance, a map gives half decent gains also.

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
Seems you have endured it for longer than some of us.

It's a sad time to say good bye but you have to put you're sensible head on and say enough is enough.

In sure the GTI will be a fantastic replacement.

Ianmr

Mar 17, 2011
Yes it has the lovely tartan seats :D not sure i would have leather again after having it in my ST, too cold in winter and too hot in summer, but yea i hope it's going to be a nice enjoyable car to have.

I was never going to the Cupra after 3 years anyways due to warranty/reliability issue so the new engine was the last straw! Get the feeling i will have this rather nice GTI for a good long time :D

Collecting it on Tuesday!! can't wait.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Yes it has the lovely tartan seats :D not sure i would have leather again after having it in my ST, too cold in winter and too hot in summer, but yea i hope it's going to be a nice enjoyable car to have.

I was never going to the Cupra after 3 years anyways due to warranty/reliability issue so the new engine was the last straw! Get the feeling i will have this rather nice GTI for a good long time :D

Collecting it on Tuesday!! can't wait.

Sounds great. Get some pics up.. Heart sank today as i saw numerous gritters out... Means filthy car time..:(

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
Just out of curiosity Ian what was the reg of your Cupra? I'm looking at the market and and seen a lovely 11 plate advertised by a dealer in Nevada white. The timing of it is abit coincidental as it has just come on the market. Want to make sure I don't get a duff! Cheers

Ianmr

Mar 17, 2011
Oh don't worry i still 'have' mine until tuesday then it needs the work done.

It will most likely be for sale in Aberdeen early December, will be a great car again once it fixed....but not mine ;)

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
Ha ha thanks for that Ian. Love the Cupras but all this oil burning is putting me off abit so going to have a look and any hint it has a problem I will be walking away. Although 16k in a year and a half is about right mileage for its age but why would it be up for sale so soon?

Anyone know how you can tell if its an oil burner other than looking at the dipstick. Soot on the inside of the exhaust maybe??

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
seems like mine is the only cupra that aint having problems !! im selling mine though due to circumstances out of my control :( would love to keep mine. good luck with the new motor though pal. hope you can finally have some trouble free motoring !!

Ianmr

Mar 17, 2011
Not sure how to tell to be honest, they have had the engine apart twice in the year and said it was fine both times.......oh wait look what happened.....

Me too!!

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
Sad news, ours will be traded in next year.... But I'm sure you will enjoy the extra grunt from the 2.0tfsi, shame its the ko3 but with a remap it will be alright :)

Ianmr

Mar 17, 2011
Yea, it is a shame Dav, still see your better half's blue one kicking around!

Will need to try make a meet when i get it! Will be slow compared to yours....for no ;)

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
You will need something with a k04 or bigger buddy! Haha

Mk5 is a great all rounder like the leon, it doesn't do anything exceptionally well but does everything well :)

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
I feel you man ! It happened same to me after a year and a half goin in & out of their service garage got sick of it and now I'm replacing it with a brand new Mk2 Leon
Should pick it up this week *cross fingers*
These cars are good when the decide to work properly but when not, it's not worth the hassel

Ianmr

Mar 17, 2011
Dav, you'll know better than me, I don't know much about these cars :S although everyone keeps saying it will be good for 300BHP for very little input which is tempting.

Agreed ace cars...when they work.