Ronin225's Candy rimmed Black LCR - Project 500-4WD, Cage installed and bigger turbo

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Cheers guys, it still needs a bit of work to finish it off properly which should hide it a touch more
The car was far from clean before its wash so its not really been pampered much lately

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
you lost your fogs?

Still have them but when i originally mounted the cooler and removed them the one was cracked and ripped my hand to pieces so it got launched across the factory.
I did then refit the one but after doing the piping time was tight and tbh i couldnt be bothered, however i do think i could get them to fit quite easily if i wanted to
Thinking of using the space made on the passenger side where SMIC was to mount an oil cooler instead though

Last edited:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Top work Tim, looking good.
Cheers mate, still needs fettling to be just right.
I keep meaning to text you too, how the signum search going?
My oil coolers going in the driver side. Fogs are for gays any way. Looking good.
Its been my plan to run welded FMIC piping in this route with oil cooler in the freed space for about 2 years now and only justgetting round to it now
Top work mate, looks really good
Cheers dude
Leave the fogs out, every bit of air flow helps ;)
The car did look properly gash without a bumper but im sure it went quicker;)

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I did plan on putting mine on top of the FMIC but I mounted it to high and did leave enough space. If you need a replacement fog light I've still got mine some where.
I wish I could weld, going to get my Dad to give me some lessions.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I dont think i'll bother with fogs again but thanks for the offer
Have you got the oil cooler as normally it the ports that raise the height a lot, im sure you could mount it and trim the bumper to suit.
With the oil cooler i've been told to make very secure mountings for it so wherever you put it make some substanially mounts
As far as welding goes MIG is easy but this was TIG'd which is much more difficult and ali is notorously difficult due to the oxide having a higher melting point
I havent TIG'd ali in about 7 years so i thought i'd get a coded welder to do it so its strong and leak free and not riddled with holes
A night welding course would be a good idea if you have the time/incling to learn as if you buy your own decent TIG welder it'll set you back £3k+

On a sidenote i've bought some bits from Awesome in the black friday sale, will put some pics up when the bits get here

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Today i decided to swap out my 007 for the Bailey DV30 i took from the S3 just to see if/what differences i notice.
2012-11-25154747.jpg

I have got it listed on ebay but if i like it i may pull it and keep it
Also the Forge TIP is coming off in the next few days too, so if anyone is interested its also on a well known auction site

Most interestingly too my EML has now turned itself off
This has only happened since swapping out the SMIC's to finish the FMIC install.
I'm wondering now if the SMIC were a bit of a bottle neck as the intake and exhaust was much more upgraded.
I wonder if the maybe the cooler itself had split but i would have expected a 17705 code which i havent had and all the pipework was very secure, maybe there was a pressure drop across the coolers being flagged by the MAP sensor?
I notice redbull's EML went off not long after he installe the FMIC too, so i assume the SMIC must be very restrictive

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
So what was the result mate?

Hopefully next week we can go for a drive, :) that's if it doesn't turn into a swim with this bloody weather!

ChefSean

Get a collins dv same as a dv30 but sound loads better had one on my astra gsi best dv in my opinion

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
How are you finding the FMIC? didn't you say at Blyton that you were 1gs away from hitting limp mode? Take it you've had no issues? Have you got a date in mind for starting the 4WD conversion?

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
do a bubble test....... then you will want to remove it and revert to oe
A bubble test? not heard of doing this? i assume it is a leak detecting device as per gas appliances
This is the recirc bailey valve not atmospheric so would expect overall running to not really be affected

Get a collins dv same as a dv30 but sound loads better had one on my astra gsi best dv in my opinion
Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2
I was quite happy with the 007 i've had on for years but since i had the bailey one lying around i thought i'd put it on just to see what it was like
If i stumble across a collins one i'll be sure to use it but will have 3 different valves in a few days so dont want to buy another

How are you finding the FMIC? didn't you say at Blyton that you were 1gs away from hitting limp mode? Take it you've had no issues? Have you got a date in mind for starting the 4WD conversion?

The FMIC has been fine but i havent really been hoofing it as the one pipe is very close to the joins so needs a new longer one
When the car was last logged it pulled 199g/s but when previously logged once it hit 200g/s it would go into limp mode
$wd conversion is an ongoing project that is just being done bit by bit as and when, the engine rebuild is my priority at the moment

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
simple test... pump, hoses to vac port and side port to dv... immerse in water and apply pressure and watch the stream of bubbles as the DV leaks

you may be shocked.. I warn you..

Oe DV... holds 2bar no probs bubble free

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.