Rev Limit

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I(we) have Fr170 Tdi Leon 08, the redline begins at 4.5k on the tacho, at what point does the limiter(if fitted) cut in? other diesels I have driven either billow black smoke when near the limit or just refuse to go any harder, only asking cause I'm having to concentrate on when to change up as my other car goes to 9.2k before I need to shift, and the revs in the Leon rise pretty quick when given some throttle:D, I'd be in big trouble if I damage anything due to carelessness.:handbags:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The ECU will limit engine speed to safe, non-smoky levels, as far as it can. No separate limiter.

Diesels just don't rev as high as petrol engines, due to fundamental limitations on the diesel combustion process. Simply put, the diesel fuel-air mix doesn't burn as quickly as a petrol mix does. It's actually a bit more complicated than that from what I've read.

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
To get max bhp there aint much point reving past 3800 rpm. I proved this on my rolling road read out . Max tourque is about 2500rpm and max bhp at 3800rpm . The key to driving diesels is gear changes . Hope this helps :)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
To get max bhp there aint much point reving past 3800 rpm. I proved this on my rolling road read out . Max tourque is about 2500rpm and max bhp at 3800rpm . The key to driving diesels is gear changes . Hope this helps :)

That depends on the car and tuning, I wouldn't apply that to all diesels. My power tails off about 4300 or so these days with my set up.

I would also recommend getting the revs up now and then just to keep the turbo clear of soot build up.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members