Gearbox oil change

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
Hi

The gears on my car, 1st (slight trouble getting it in sometimes) and 2nd (feels quite 'notchey') but all the other gears are smooth. I'm looking to follow a video I found via here to adjust them on the weekend.

But also I'm thinking about getting the oil changed, how much is this roughly and how long does it take? I'd probably take it to a garage to get done. And if anyone knows the best oil (ibiza mk4 2003)? I'd buy that and take it to the garage.

Thanks

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Gearbox oil really is something you can do yourself, waste of money paying someone.

Undo plug > drain it > put plug back in > undo filler plug > pour new oil in.

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
I was thinking about doing it myself but then read that you had to warm the car up, get the car at a specific temp etc.

So its similar to any other oil then...drain and re-fill? (obv. not that easy but you get what I mean) Any specific tools?

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Where did you read that?

I just drained it and re-filled following advise on here

If you are referring to my comment it is from experience, having done about 7 or 8 box oil changes on SEAT ibizas.

I have found without ramps it can often be difficult to get the fill plug out, so just make sure you get that removed before undoing the drain plug.

Steps are:

Remove drain bungs - at the bottom an inward facing 17mm hex nut and one on the other side, remove both then once the oil is drained refit the bottom bung and top up with oil at the top bung untill it leaks out from where your topping it up then refit the bung job done.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
I was thinking about doing it myself but then read that you had to warm the car up, get the car at a specific temp etc.

So its similar to any other oil then...drain and re-fill? (obv. not that easy but you get what I mean) Any specific tools?

You sure you haven't got mixed up with a dsg oil change?

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
If you are referring to my comment it is from experience, having done about 7 or 8 box oil changes on SEAT ibizas.

I have found without ramps it can often be difficult to get the fill plug out, so just make sure you get that removed before undoing the drain plug.

Steps are:

Remove drain bungs - at the bottom an inward facing 17mm hex nut and one on the other side, remove both then once the oil is drained refit the bottom bung and top up with oil at the top bung untill it leaks out from where your topping it up then refit the bung job done.

Was referring to Slicecbr and temp being at a certain degree etc :p

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
May vary on different models as Im sure it was a 17 on mine and the others 2 I have done it on.

I know for instance all the brake disc retaining screws are now torx rather than phillips that they used to be when I bought the car. I was told by a director at a local car plant (mentioning no names) that torx is used commonly now as they bits wear out less during manufacturing.

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
Where did you read that?

I just drained it and re-filled following advise on here

Googling change your gearbox oil, must have ended up reading about a different type of oil change. Might give it a go over the christmas holiday.

Thanks for the info as to how to do it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.