Power Steering Fluid leak

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
Hi,

When I started the car after work the power steering light was on. Checked the car and there is a leak (on the bottom of the car and underneath the fluid tank) but fluid still in there. Got the car home and literally on the last few turns I lost power steering. After re-checking the car I turned it back on and the light has gone and the steerings back to normal.

Drove and bought "Halfords Advanced: Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid" suitable for SEAT apparently, I can't find my books at the minute (typical) so can't check but is this the right fluid?

Cars fine at the minute but taking it to a garage tomorrow for a proper check, hopefully just a hose or something and not the steering rack!

Thanks!

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
The car is booked in for a check tomorrow morning, left some paper under it last night and it is leaking (directly under the filler), not a huge amount on the paper but can't tell how much has cumulated in the under body.

So I can get my head around it, what are the most common causes for power steering leaks?

Thanks

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
Just an update...

Picked the car up, the garage couldn't find any leaks, checked all the fluids to make sure, but nothing. Hopefully its just one of those things, although there was fluid in the engine bay and on the underbody at the time, which is strange, as I would have thought a sensor or something played up but obv. a leak somewhere.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it, and if the light comes on again, try get it to a garage for a scan before its reset.

Dubbed

power steering fluid won't just vanish.. wash all the existing fluid off (make sure you get it all), cover the floor with newspaper or the equivelent, top up PAS fluid, leave over night, investigate..

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
Thanks for the responses.

Also you sure it wasnt aircon just dripping as it should.

I have started to use the AC alot more recently, not really used it for years. Would that cause the power steering light to come on though and temporary loss power steering?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

I have started to use the AC alot more recently, not really used it for years. Would that cause the power steering light to come on though and temporary loss power steering?

You are not just using the car for short runs and running with a very low charge in the battery are you? Did your garage do a full autoscan to see if any faults are being logged, remember that the electro-hydraulic power steering system will need a lot of power when the steering wheel is being turned and if this is done at low engine speeds with a under charged battery, then the power steering may be switched out to keep the essentials running. Idealy you need the battery testing/checking (normally free at battery places), the charging system checked out and any logged faults read.

Also, does anyone know if the steering pump link fuse suffers as much as the ABS one does - ie do they end up cracking?

Last edited:

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
You are not just using the car for short runs and running with a very low charge in the battery are you? Did your garage do a full autoscan to see if any faults are being logged, remember that the electro-hydraulic power steering system will need a lot of power when the steering wheel is being turned and if this is done at low engine speeds with a under charged battery, then the power steering may be switched out to keep the essentials running. Idealy you need the battery testing/checking (normally free at battery places), the charging system checked out and any logged faults read.

Also, does anyone know if the steering pump link fuse suffers as much as the ABS one does - ie do they end up cracking?

No the cars not used for short runs, would hop on the crappy halfords bike for that, don't like the wear and tear on the car as shes ageing. No I don't think the garage did any scanning, just a visual for any leaks, the fault light had reset by that point. Is the fault still logged if the fault light goes out on the dash?

Yer battery could be a contributor, only happened a couple of times, after a long drive or cold morning, the car hasn't initially started but then gets going, so I'll get the battery checked.

Thanks.

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
An update...

Basically since the initial issue (3 weeks ago) the car was like normal, no signs of leaking and no loss of power steering or PAS light.

On Saturday I needed to move the car, so literally started it up, moved forward where I needed to hit full lock and reverse back (don't ever normally do that but had friends over and car was slightly in the way).

Anyway, the next morning I started the car and the PAS light was on, and there had been a fluid leak, red liquid on the right-side where the power steering reservoir is, on the floor and on the under body. Drove straight to a local garage, 1 min drive, but was closed (hoping to get a scan).

So drove back, checked the levels and all seem normal, left it until Monday and started with no warning lights and no leaks over the night.

Any thoughts?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd trying to think about the "red" stuff, I really don't think that the power steering fluid should be red. Brake fluid is probably amber/clear if its VAG stuff - but red - I don't know.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The proper VAG stuff I got from the dealers is green.

Humm, I was kind of thinking that that was the case but was not sure enough to say that, I remembered that the cap is green though!

Now if red stuff is coming out of the power steering, then some very bad person has used the wrong power steering fluid - or the fluid is coming from else where.

To the OP - to prove if you have the right fluid in, remove the reservoir cap and wipe the fluid that should be on the level stick bit on a white cloth or carefully on a paper hanky etc - youu should not see any red colour - and it should be green.

Next, what colour is your brake fluid? (maybe same test unless you can confirm by looking down into the reservoir)

Last edited:

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
Humm, I was kind of thinking that that was the case but was not sure enough to say that, I remembered that the cap is green though!

Now if red stuff is coming out of the power steering, then some very bad person has used the wrong power steering fluid - or the fluid is coming from else where.

To the OP - to prove if you have the right fluid in, remove the reservoir cap and wipe the fluid that should be on the level stick bit on a white cloth or carefully on a paper hanky etc - youu should not see any red colour - and it should be green.

Next, what colour is your brake fluid? (maybe same test unless you can confirm by looking down into the reservoir)

This is the stuff I put into the power steering too top it up initially, only half a squirt if that:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_808959_langId_-1_categoryId_255219

This stuff is red ^, please don't tell me this is the wrong stuff, went with a recommendation from a mechanic!

But yer the original power steering fluid in there does look clear or green, because its difficult to get the measurement from the green power steering cap.

I have recently been losing coolant, which is red, but could this cause the power steering warning light to come on and loss power steering? Are they linked in some way?

Will check the brake fluid soon!

Thanks

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
I would seriously consider getting yourself to a vag sealer and getting some proper fluid and changing it over.

You may need VCDS to do this however to bleed the pump I think.

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
OP how did you get on?

Found out it wasn't the power steering fluid leaking, it was the coolant :whistle:

Still got a slight leak, I know where it is, just haven't been able to get it sorted and doesn't leak much at all.

I found out (scan via VAGCOM) that the power steering comes on now and again at start because the battery is on the way out. If I drive 2 mins down the road and re-start the light will go off. Will be changing the battery soon so should sort it.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Worth checking the alternator. I had similar symptoms with the load signal wire (worth a check when you do your box oil as its there). If the wire is broken can make the alternator not kick in until you hit 4k revs. My power steering light used to come on as yours did. Just check the battery light comes on when you start the dash and check the wire when you are under the car.

Power steering is one of the first things to drop out with power losses. Also if you did have a power steering leak it can be pretty serious as they are a sealed system and any leak would mean costly bits.

Last edited:

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
Worth checking the alternator. I had similar symptoms with the load signal wire (worth a check when you do your box oil as its there). If the wire is broken can make the alternator not kick in until you hit 4k revs. My power steering light used to come on as yours did. Just check the battery light comes on when you start the dash and check the wire when you are under the car.

Power steering is one of the first things to drop out with power losses. Also if you did have a power steering leak it can be pretty serious as they are a sealed system and any leak would mean costly bits.

That sounds exactly like my problem, ps light comes on when cold then goes off when I restart the engine. No problems after that. Sounds like it could be the battery which is the original.
Ill check the fluid level and the alternator cable also though I dont drive anywhere near 4k revs.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.