Low Profile Tyres

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I'm quite happy so far, had a bit of a shock to see the tread when fitted, they do look like an M&S tyre, there was just over 8mm tread depth new-- the steering may not be quite as sharp as the 45's but much of the crash has gone over-thro'? the potholes -----------can't wait for some snow now :)

weaselfeatures

I settled on 205/55/16 the ride is superb and whisper quiet, very occasionally a wheel rub but overall I am delighted to get rid of the rock hard noisey ride. Besides an old cuss like me who seldom goes over 60 needs some comfort!

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
the rub on mine @3 o-clock rear passenger side-- there is an unused bracket behind the plastic liner I suspect it may have been for jigging at the factory-- it can be sliced off then heat up linerwith hot air gun and push back with a blunt instrument unless you already have a hole there :)

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I'm quite happy so far, had a bit of a shock to see the tread when fitted, they do look like an M&S tyre, there was just over 8mm tread depth new-- the steering may not be quite as sharp as the 45's but much of the crash has gone over-thro'? the potholes -----------can't wait for some snow now :)

Thanks Cheshire Cat, that's what I thought they looked like and wondered whether they would perform in the Dry for that reason !.....but they've had only good reviews especially for the price. Its the snow I want to use them in (I spend alot of the Winter in the Cotswolds) When all said and done maybe they are the closest you'll get to an all seasons / 4 seasons tyre !. What profile you using in the snow ?.............I assume 205 width ?

Paul

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton

Nic, I was surprised with the depth of tread on these when new, anyway as per above post are you expecting any snow over sunday night in your area ?

Paul

Packham

Jul 19, 2011
Sheffield
Did you know your tyre size gives exactly the same rolling radius as my 18s? How low are you just out of interest? Im 45mm down with no rubbing and just wanna know how much lower I can go!

Only just seen this lol. Tbf im no idea how low I am, think it went down about 55/60 not sure though cos I fitted the coilies a while a go now

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
I settled on 205/55/16 the ride is superb and whisper quiet, very occasionally a wheel rub but overall I am delighted to get rid of the rock hard noisey ride. Besides an old cuss like me who seldom goes over 60 needs some comfort!

I am very interested in this...

I too hate the horrible ride of the Mk4 Sport TDI 130, and have been looking to improve it !!

This sounds like it could be the answer, 205/55/16's.

So, weaselfeatures have you anything else to add now you have had them on for a while ?

It is not the cost, more than happy to cough for the 205/45/16's but I just want to improve the ride.

So anyone care to comment, anyone else other than weaselfeatures ever done this ?

Cheers guy's

Last edited:

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton

Did you use them in the Snow Yesterday, if so how did you get on ?

Paul

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members