SEAT Leon 2.8 V6 4 Cupra

cupra_daveh

Sep 26, 2011
Bolton
Alreet been lookin at buyin one from abroad and was jus wondering does anybody have any ideas on roughly it will be to import havent got a clue were to start lookin.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
If you're getting it from the continent, the cheapest option will be for you to fly over and drive it back. Even with hotel stopovers and petrol it'll still be cheaper than renting a container. And unless you live near a docks you'll still have to transport it home.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Make sure you have enough cash leftover to buy a big turbo or supercharger ;)

With 4WD you could make it a monster :D

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
2.8 VR6 is a superb engine (the internal construction of a straight-6 in the space of a V6), but it was not popular after the petrol prices increase (2004-present day).

The faults should be summed as such:

- It's immensely heavy. And it loads the car as expected. Almost a quarter ton over a 1.8T with FWD, maybe 150 kg over a 1.8T 4WD Leon.

- It moves the center of mass forward. This is why all of them were made with heavy and ungainly Haldex 4WD, to balance the weight. (A Haldex system with back axle adds 130 kgs to the basic car weight).

- It burns disproportionate amounts of petrol, due to weight and different gear ratios.

- It has poor performance compared with a slightly modded 1.8T (0-60 times of 7.3 seconds) due to weight of the car.

- It's expensive to mod - you need a complete turbo or supercharger kit, which runs in the 4000 GBP range.

For these reasons, the Cupra VR6 had been deleted from production in 2004.

For someone who has the car only for highway runs or long range commute, the faults of the car are not easily apparent and it can serve him or her well, like a Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor or a BMW 330i from the same timeframe (2000-2004) can do.

For city traffic, sports driving, racing or modding, it's completely useless.

~Nautilus

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
You sure about the weight? I'm a bit limited with info, but as a sort of comparison, a Golf 1.8t kerb weight is 1289 Kg, the 2.8 V6 4motion is 1401 Kg. That's only 120 Kg heavier even going from FWD to 4WD. If you're saying the Haldex system is 130 Kg, then the V6 engine is actually 10 Kg lighter than the 1.8 turbo.

Not exactly a good comparison but along the same vein, my own Toledo V5 is actually lighter than a 1.8t Toledo... (albeit one cylinder short of the V6!)

But you're absolutely right, you don't buy the 2.8 4wd to beat the 1.8t, you buy it for the exclusivity and the noise!! So 'stay clear' is absolutely not my motto! :)

Last edited:

VT86

Leon 1.8 "CupraR" 4x4
Mar 22, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
I think the continent also got the 1.8 turbo in a 4wd version, the lucky SOB's!!

Have to say 1.8t 1m Leon with 4wd is something so nice. Specially snowy winters ;)

and about weights last summer at trackday I had opportunity to check weight of my Leon and it was bit over 1440kg (3/4 fuel, and some stuff in trunk)

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Slimy: nope. The FWD Leon with 1.8T engine has a kerb weight of 1289 kg, the Cupra VR6 4Motion has 1570-1590 kg. For comparison, a Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic has "only" 1620-1635 kg. As anyone knows, despite strong engine and excellent design of the 4Matic system, the Merc is an ungainly whale.

VR6 block without accessories is ~40 kg heavier compared to the 1.8T block. Add the 130 kg of the Haldex system. Plus, non-R Cupras had as standard a lot of features which were optional on 1.8Ts (Cupra/Topsport/FR). Ever weighed an electric leather seat alongside a fabric manual-adjustment seat? :)

~Nautilus

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2009
Buy as VR6 and put something more interesting in there, that way you already have the drive train etc ;)

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Buy as VR6 and put something more interesting in there, that way you already have the drive train etc ;)

Good idea until you buy one then hear the engine noise.... they sound lovely :)

I bought a Golf 4motion for the wife which is basically the same car as a Leon.... i wasn't expecting that much from it with it being normally aspirated... but it's a quick car.... ok not really fast (it's a 24valve model so 206bhp)

The engines a belter - it's so smooth and torque everywhere...... thats if you can keep the petrol tank full.

People can criticise it for being a heavy car but it handles really well (mine does have sports suspension on) and remember these cars have a fully independent rear suspension which is miles better than a rear bear.
It may be down on power to say a LCR or a remapped 180bhp leon but it puts the power down all the time where a fwd car would be understeering.

If you don't do many miles aren't that interesting in tuning then the VR6 motor is a belter, obviously a 1.8T can be tuned a lot easier and is way better on fuel but i dare say the v6 is a really nice car to drive.

If you really want thrills buy the 2.8 and either supercharge it or stick a turbo on it, loads of information on VWVortex, but be prepared to spend big.

My wifes does about 25-28mpg.... so a bit thirsty if you were commuting.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Slimy: nope. The FWD Leon with 1.8T engine has a kerb weight of 1289 kg, the Cupra VR6 4Motion has 1570-1590 kg. For comparison, a Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic has "only" 1620-1635 kg. As anyone knows, despite strong engine and excellent design of the 4Matic system, the Merc is an ungainly whale.

VR6 block without accessories is ~40 kg heavier compared to the 1.8T block. Add the 130 kg of the Haldex system. Plus, non-R Cupras had as standard a lot of features which were optional on 1.8Ts (Cupra/Topsport/FR). Ever weighed an electric leather seat alongside a fabric manual-adjustment seat? :)

~Nautilus

As i said i am limited on info, so i'll have to take your word for it. The vr6 engine didnt end up in many cars in the uk. Although you're right about the electric seats, i nearly put my back out removing my passenger seat! If ever there was scope for reducing kerb weight a simple seat swap would save a fair bit.

Miss Chief

Jun 4, 2011
So, basically the same as a Golf V6 4 motion in that it's heavy, doesn't handle that well, isn't really faster than a standard Cupra/Cupra R, has a epic thirst for go juice but makes a nice noise?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
And the fact you'll own one of probably about half a dozen examples in the whole of England... and be able to confuse the hell out of the SEAT dealer when you take it for servicing! :D

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
So, basically the same as a Golf V6 4 motion in that it's heavy, doesn't handle that well, isn't really faster than a standard Cupra/Cupra R, has a epic thirst for go juice but makes a nice noise?

More accurately: basically a Leon shell covering a Golf VR6 4motion that is heavier than a R32 Golf, doesn't handle that well, is slower than a stock Cupra R, has an epic thirst for go juice but makes a nice noise :)

In 2002, many people were ready to choose the VR6 for the rich standard features, 4wd system, less hassle with consumable parts at the stealer and that fact it could run RON 95 fuel as standard. With 2012 petrol prices and 2012 aftermarket parts prices, reason tell us what to choose.

~Nautilus

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.