RNS510 retrofit???????

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
The seat one does not have the sd card slot you put music on via dvd or cd, that i dont mind! Its the fact that you cant put new firmware on it to take speed cams full postcode and video in motion etc

Dov21

Aug 20, 2012
I managed to get hold of an rns510, but to help me install it could you possibly upload some install pictures if you still have them please.

Thanks

MCFChris

Nov 26, 2012
Chorley
Sorry to but in, I am also considering fitting the RNS510 - I don't have factory fitted B/Tooth or anything like that, so how would that work with me, could I get bluetooth through this piece of kit?

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Yes, MCFChris, it has a built-in Bluetooth unit. I am not sure about how the mic would work, though, since I am sure it'll need to be connected to the car somehow; I remember someone fitting the RNS510 (but he already had a Bluetooth unit under his passenger seat) which had Bluetooth and he couldn't get the microphone to work with the head unit, it was still connected to the unit under his passenger seat. I am not sure if that was fixed, but I think it required a special cable to connect it to the head unit. Don't worry about it, though, just ask on the forum and hopefully someone more experienced will chime in on this. The RNS510 is a beautiful head unit and you'll not regret it. I wish I had the money to buy it, but shipping and customs will kill me if I buy it online from another country.

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I managed to get hold of an rns510, but to help me install it could you possibly upload some install pictures if you still have them please.

Thanks

Did the fascia panel come with it? You're going to need a fascia since you're switching from a single-DIN to a double-DIN head unit.

This guide is for the pre-facelift, but I am sure it's similar for the facelift as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqdTFvFubMk

If I remember correctly, the silver panel can just be removed by little force and then you'll have complete access to the head unit. From there you can pull it out or if there are screws just unscrew them and it'll be out in a matter of seconds. Then unplug the cable, plug it into the new head unit, put it back in and place the fascia panel to close it.

MCFChris

Nov 26, 2012
Chorley
Yes, MCFChris, it has a built-in Bluetooth unit. I am not sure about how the mic would work, though, since I am sure it'll need to be connected to the car somehow; I remember someone fitting the RNS510 (but he already had a Bluetooth unit under his passenger seat) which had Bluetooth and he couldn't get the microphone to work with the head unit, it was still connected to the unit under his passenger seat. I am not sure if that was fixed, but I think it required a special cable to connect it to the head unit. Don't worry about it, though, just ask on the forum and hopefully someone more experienced will chime in on this. The RNS510 is a beautiful head unit and you'll not regret it. I wish I had the money to buy it, but shipping and customs will kill me if I buy it online from another country.

Thank you very much for this! I better get saving for it soon! :lol:

Dov21

Aug 20, 2012
Arghhhhhh I thought my Bluetooth mic would have continued to work after I had installed my rns510. I have Bluetooth already built in and didn't think it would be affected by installing my new unit. Anyone know a way round this???

Dov21

Aug 20, 2012
Fitted mine and its awesome, but a couple of annoying points with it. I can't seem to change the splash screen to a Seat one and when putting a load of music on a DVD from iTunes to download onto the built in hard drive, it doesn't recognise the iTunes format. Also, the sound quality of my iPod is terrible now. Apart from that its a great system

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
Mines a genuine seat one so won't have that problem :D, I download all my music off the Internet instead of iTunes so fingers crossed wont have that problem "touch wood"... I'll put a post up when it's fitted :)

Dov21

Aug 20, 2012
It's dead easy to fit, only took me about an hour and I had to cut a bit out to fit my unit in as it has the card reader in it.

peter3hg

Aug 14, 2012
Fitted mine and its awesome, but a couple of annoying points with it. I can't seem to change the splash screen to a Seat one and when putting a load of music on a DVD from iTunes to download onto the built in hard drive, it doesn't recognise the iTunes format. Also, the sound quality of my iPod is terrible now. Apart from that its a great system

Go into the settings and there is one called "Aux Line Level" or similar. Set this to Low and it should massively improve the quality of the iPod.

Dov21

Aug 20, 2012
My iPod doesn't work on aux it only works on the cd option. My iPod dock is the one under the drivers seat ???

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
Its arrived - Fitted today :)
IMG_5945_zps2f9b3de6.jpg

IMG_5944_zps4a2b7aba.jpg

IMG_5934_zps9092fd2a.jpg

Very pleased with it! :D
IMG_5822_zps1f483b59.jpg

Old one if anyones curious

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
Sorry to but in, I am also considering fitting the RNS510 - I don't have factory fitted B/Tooth or anything like that, so how would that work with me, could I get bluetooth through this piece of kit?

Im the same got mine and cant use the bluetooth. also some of the buttons on the steering wheel wont work "only ones that work are the volume buttons, I think the cars with bluetooth have different buttons on the steering wheel." I think its still worth the money though, Awesome bit of kit!