Heater matrix leaking inside the car.. help :(

Lambie

Oct 6, 2011
Norwich
got in my car this morning and the coolant light came on.. checked to see that it had lost all the coolant... and now its all over my carpet!! :(
recently when my oil cooler died, it contaminated my cooling system and blocked everything up causing big pressure build ups..
think this is what burst the matrix..

my question is, what is involved in replacing the matrix? i really cant find a secure answer on here..

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Take the dash out, it's a one man job, really easy then the heater box is right there and very easy to deal with, the matrix is inside it.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217446

That's a guide for the dash but you might find you have allen key bolts on the back of the steering wheel if it's not a cupra, you just loosen them off a few turns, they don't come out. The other thing that's not clear is you need to take off the plastics around the steering column first and unplug the airbag before you try to remove the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Lambie

Oct 6, 2011
Norwich
Fed up and cold!...

the dash is off and the matrix box is visible, but i CANNOT see a way to free the box..ive had to give up for tonight as its freezing! but now im without a car :(
how do i remove the matrix?

thanks!!

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Don't know exactly but it must be bolted in there somehow, don't forget the coolant pipes that go to the matrix too from the engine compartment.
I know it's probably a complete ball ache but you'll get there, I had a hell of a time doing my steering rack on my cordy, it was bloody freezing, raining and the pipe wouldn't come out. In the end I had to drop the subframe and swing the whole thing out with the pipe still on. Anyway I got it sorted in the end and all was well.
You just have to persevere with these things but at least it's simpler than some cars.

Lambie

Oct 6, 2011
Norwich
This is just turning in to a disaster :( the coolant pipes I've joined in the engine bay to just circulate but bypassing the matrix.

The dash is out. That wasn't too bad.. But removing the actually box housing the matrix I still haven't managed :( broke my windscreen in the process by being nothing but an Impatient idiot and using it to lever my elbow against.
Anyway.. It's looks like there's just one more leg coming off the box going into the bulkhead.. But cannot find the nut in the engine side.. Would it be behind the heatshielding?
Spoke to a mate at seat this
Morning, theyve never even done a matrix change.. :(
So fed up! Needing my car back though..
d4b78020-a9c4-d618.jpg

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Geez dude, just take it easy and try not to get so impatient, if there's a leg coming off and you can't see the bolt/nut the chances are it could well be hidden behind that stuff. Have a look but try and keep your cool while doing it, I know it's probably a complete wind up but it's obviously held in somehow.
If it's getting to much just stop and go for a wander or something then come back to it. You'll get there.

leisky

Hi Lambie. Can you tell me how the fan air box / ventilation system is secured to the bulk head? Been trying to get this out today with no avail.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
See if you can get a picture of the parts on one of the online parts catalogues. It won't show you how it's fixed into the car, but it will show you what fixing you're looking for.

leisky

I found a diagram but it isn't too usefull as it is viewed from the cabin but it must be secured from the engine bay. I've loosened off every nut I could see there and it's still as secure as ever. Have another look today I guess.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I do remember when I was doing the same on my old Mark 2 Golf, I got to the point where I'd unbolted everything but it still didn't move. Turned out the pipes themselves were secure and solid enough to stop it moving, and just releasing them allowed the matrix to come out. You've not mentioned whether you've undone the pipes yet?

leisky

Right, got it today, took me less than half an hour. Dunno what I was doing yesterday, maybe the drink on sunday had more of an effect than I realised but looks like I took out every bolt except the ones I needed to. For any future referance here's how to do it.

There are 4x 10mm nuts that secure the blower unit to the bulkhead, these have large fitted steel washers with rubber behind them to keep a seal, they are all located in the engine bay. The first two are on the passengers side where the pipes to the air con evaporator enter the cabin. There is a rectangular shaped plate that the pipes go through, undo the nuts that secure it.
The second 2 are located in the centre of the bulk head both on a vertical axis of each other, spaced appart by about a foot. I am fairly certain you will have to remove the heat shield to access these. (mine had already been removed and I didnt recheck it)
Once these are removed all thats left holding it in is the pipes. The 2 rubber pipes to the heater matrix are just held on by jubilee clips and the A/C pipes are held on with an allen bolt (you will have to drain the refrigerant from the system).
Now its just a case of getting enough of the wiring loom out of the way to get it out.

leisky

Small correction on my last post.
You don't have to remove the heat shield. The 2nd two nuts are behind it but there are holes in the heat shield so you can get to them without taking it off.