Anti roll bars

goach

Jul 11, 2011
Thinking of having eibach 25mm front and rear anti roll bars fitted, do u think there will be a big difference from the standard lcr ones?

goach

Jul 11, 2011
Can't seem to find any, what do u search for? Anti roll bar brings up loads of threads but not just about them or am I being thick? Lol

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Bigger on the rear will make more difference on a front wheel drive car. But don't forget you have nothing on the rear at the moment, only the front is standard.

Personally I'd recommend an adjustable one, it's nice to adjust it to your own preference.

goach

Jul 11, 2011
Bigger on the rear will make more difference on a front wheel drive car. But don't forget you have nothing on the rear at the moment, only the front is standard.

Personally I'd recommend an adjustable one, it's nice to adjust it to your own preference.

Didn't realise there wasn't 1 on the back! Lol, what makes are best to buy?

gdjohny

Crazy Mechanical Engineer
Dec 25, 2010
Kettering
I have 25 mm eibach in the front and it made a big difference to handling
when I added rear one it transformed the car

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Slimy, we've been over this before. The LCR does have an anti-roll bar at the back, as do all of the beam-axle Golf Mk.4 derived cars. It's part of the rear beam and it's inside the beam section that connects the two trailing arms: impossible to get at or change. The LCR and other cars with the Sports suspension setup have a 21.7 mm bar, others have an 18mm bar.

Last edited:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Slimy, we've been over this before. The LCR does have an anti-roll bar at the back, as do all of the beam-axle Golf Mk.4 derived cars. It's part of the rear beam and it's inside the beam section that connects the two trailing arms: impossible to get at or change. The LCR and other cars with the Sports suspension setup have a 21.7 mm bar, others have an 18mm bar.
Is it possible/worthwhile to add an external RARB? I'm looking to fit one once my suspension is done as I'll be running lower but wonered about fitting a rear ARB to compensate.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Yes, improved anti-roll stiffness at the back can make a big difference to the feel and roadholding, and is probably the best suspension improvement you can make. I'd do that first, especially if you are looking for better suspension performance. Lowering, other than for looks, is often counter-productive on the Golf Mk.4 platform as the roll center drops twice as far as the CofG does.

Because of the construction of the standard ARB, you have to add another, separate, one. Several aftermarket suppliers provide kits for it though, the main problem being where to fit the mounting brackets.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Ah right, it's sounding like more work than I thought...is there a common mounting point on the rear beam? I've seen some of the after market ones (Whiteline, Neuspeed etc) but they cost a fair bit! Is it better to go adjustable or standard?

I'm looking to get lower while I have the money as I want to get the looks sorted before I start on the handling.

Thanks for your advice by the way, always helpful and informative :)

gdjohny

Crazy Mechanical Engineer
Dec 25, 2010
Kettering
i have went the cheap route and welded modified standard front arb to the rear beam.
cost nothing and car drives PERFECT now.

edewer

May 14, 2007
Newbury/Reading
just recieved my 24mm adjustable Whiteline, heard nothing but good things, so will get it fitted in the next few days along with my 20mm spacers and see what improvements there are :)

goach

Jul 11, 2011
So nuespeed ones are good? Are they better than eibach? I've found a place that sells front and rear 25mm eibach for £300, is that cheap?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
The Leon tends to understeer so adding a thicker rear will make a big difference.

Something like the Whiteline 24mm adjustable bar is a very good option.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members