oil consumption fix possibility?

Fredthered

Nov 3, 2009
North West
I've had the beather parts fitted and im still using the same amount of oil its coming to the end of its warrenty now so prob will just sell it on which is a shame.

However i do sit in ques and standing traffic quite alot on my daily commute to work so don't know if that has any bearing on the issue?!? I have noticed that when i do long motorway runs i don't use half as much oil!

Jun 17, 2011
Grimsby/Birmingham
Having the ITG kit on made no difference for me as I had the oil problem from the start...had the breather pipe put in, put the ITG on straight away when I got home and it was running fine for about 400 miles?..checked it again and it was down to the bottom of the dipstick so had to take it in again..and now I have a new engine in which I collect my car tomorrow after 3 weeks without it! :( hopefully, it doesnt happen to me again with the new engine (fingers crossed)

secret.squirrel

Dec 1, 2010
Middle Earth (Wiltshire)
I was thinking about getting rid of my '08 FR in PX for a '11 Cupra... Reading this has made me seriously doubt whether I still want to, I knew the 1.4 TSi had issues, but this is just ridiculous. Maybe sticking with the PD engine is the best solution, seems the CR's aren't short of dramas themselves either! Judging by the customer service, makes me really wonder if I want to go back to Seat again after this at all with a new car. Ive been lucky, everything I've had done was through JKM and I've never had any problems from them...

Squirrel.

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
My mistake, I figured they were all TSi so all had a supercharger. Maybe time to look at something bigger after all then.

Squirrel.

There are steps you can take to lessen the problems, and some don't have them at all, especially those with the updated engine. Only reason it sounds so bad is because on a forum you don't really get people posting just to say everything is ok :) if you still fancy a cupra just do your research, go to a reliable dealer and look at cars with the most service history...by general rule of thumb the cars that don't have the problems are the ones that have been bedded in properly for the first while and not hooned from the word go.

The people that have had major problems (in most cases) are the ones that have not kept on top of their oil checks and have let the oil run empty

Don't quit just because of a few posts on a forum, if that we're the case I would have never bought mine as nearly everyone I spoke to said they were famously bad for breaking and it didn't put me off one bit.

All that said, I still won't be keeping mine past warranty lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
I was thinking about getting rid of my '08 FR in PX for a '11 Cupra... Reading this has made me seriously doubt whether I still want to, I knew the 1.4 TSi had issues, but this is just ridiculous. Maybe sticking with the PD engine is the best solution, seems the CR's aren't short of dramas themselves either! Judging by the customer service, makes me really wonder if I want to go back to Seat again after this at all with a new car. Ive been lucky, everything I've had done was through JKM and I've never had any problems from them...

Squirrel.

The oil issues seem to be contained to the earlier to the earlier cars so with the 11 plate you should be fine. I've had loads of people tell me how my engine is going to use all it's oil in 600 miles etc yet it's about on par with the oil consumption from an EP3 type r.

I've now done 7k miles in mines and it's using around 1L every 3000 miles, coming from my last car that used around 3L if you're lucky in 32k it seems a lot. Those 7k have been put on it since August and it hasn't missed a beat yet.

secret.squirrel

Dec 1, 2010
Middle Earth (Wiltshire)
Fair comments, Ive started looking and am enquiring about one I have seen. Seems the garage is intent on trying to rip me off for mine at the moment though, just got offered about £2k less than the value of the car. Thieving b&st$rds.

Squirrel.

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
Fair comments, Ive started looking and am enquiring about one I have seen. Seems the garage is intent on trying to rip me off for mine at the moment though, just got offered about £2k less than the value of the car. Thieving b&st$rds.

Squirrel.

Outright i would never have paid what did for mine but the trade in they offered for my cupra was a lot higher than other places so I couldn't say no.

If you go for a look, check the engine code, check the dipstick for oil position and most importantly get under the back of the car and look at the exhaust, tell tale sign that its been using oil is excessive carbon around the area and runoff on the tail pipes down to the back box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

secret.squirrel

Dec 1, 2010
Middle Earth (Wiltshire)
@wegi: *facepalm* awkward.

@lawrie: This is the thing, looking at what older higher mileage cars are going for on Autotrader and PH and stuff, even taking into account they have to shoot low to make a profit, they are still trying to have my eyes out over it. But the guy who was sorting out the finance and stuff for me is looking into it to see if he can get higher bids for my car and maybe bump the garage price up. We shall see, hopefully I'll be able to get the Cupra, would be nice.... And I have my checklist of stuff ready for a potential viewing :D

Squirrel.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
I would think the new engine codes CTHE are fine, and have the problems rectified. I believe from somewhere in 2011, engines came with new style piston and piston rings. This is the time seat were "changing piston rings" but actually changing entire pistons with the new variety.

For peace of mind i would make sure it had the CTHE engine code and not the CAVE.

The reason early models, ie pre 2011 have had major problems is because not only did they have the CRAP vw pistons and rings, they also had the first model of injectors which used to clog and drip fuel on to the piston crowns when at a standstill. This was coupled with several batches of dodgy coilpacks, spark plugs which were too hot for the engine and sat in the way of the new version of injectors. And last but not least the HORRENDOUS ecu code which overfueled the cylinders on startup and during a misfire which meant cylinder 4 was starved of fuel and cylinder 1 was filled with fuel.

This was sorted in 2011 which is why people with cars from this year are doing better. The date the pistons got changed to the new ones I dont know but I imagine they were phased out.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Ive bought a late 60 plate and it appears to be going well at the moment. Although I have probably jinxed myself.

Its used 1ltr in 6000 miles and seems to of levelled off. Hopefully it stays that way.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
i think its because they have realised that max boost is when the supercharger is active which is the most likely time for oil to be pushed passed the piston rings. So they cut boost levels. Another example of vw not wanting to solve problems with peoples cars and are more concerned with hiding problems that exist with them at least untill warrenty has expired. I am boycotting vw and its sister companys after my horrendous experience with these idiots

Last edited:

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
Link wont do you much good since it was on a Dutch PoloGTI forum, but they got the info from an English forum. Ill see if I can dig up which one.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.