Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Bclowes86

Aug 3, 2012
The door sits on a seal inside the car this Is where the build up of water begins cut two vs each end of this seal on each door it will allow the water to drain away problem solved my car been free from water since I done this

the_hutch

Well I took the door card off and got the mrs to spray the door with the watering can. There was no water coming from the carrier area at all - bone dry so the butyl was fine. Opened the door and the sill was covered in water :confused: I found that the water was coming in slightly around the top of door and running down to the sill - it looks like the door alignment is slightly out, it needs to close tighter. The drivers door has a bigger gap at the top compared the passenger side. I think someone must have tried adjusting it in the past to try and fix the leak. Just need to get the corret multispline too so I can tighten it up again and hopefully have a dry car :)

Bclowes86

Aug 3, 2012
07-12-2012, 08:59 #1261
Bclowes86

The door sits on a seal inside the car this Is where the build up of water begins cut two vs each end of this seal on each door it will allow the water to drain away problem solved my car been free from water since I done this

andrewkettle

Put the car back together yesterday with my now dry underlay. The towels I had used as a temporary replacement were bone dry after a week of being in there so the butyl seal is doing its job.

Such a good feeling to know all is sorted now and that the job has been done properly.

Many thanks to all for the help in this thread!

richie kaye

Oct 26, 2012
West Midlands
Put the car back together yesterday with my now dry underlay. The towels I had used as a temporary replacement were bone dry after a week of being in there so the butyl seal is doing its job.

Such a good feeling to know all is sorted now and that the job has been done properly.

Many thanks to all for the help in this thread!

Great news,how long did it take you to strip the interior?

Ive got a leaking pollen filter as well so gotta strip the scuttle panel off and reseal that and check the drain holes either side....this is my first job,Bad timing as im working on the house..Time is just never there when you need it

andrewkettle

Not long at all really, probably about two hours to take it apart and put it all back together, although I cut the underlay rather than take the center console apart. Good chance to give the interior a thorugh clean aswell!

I did one side at a time, that way I didnt have to take the seats out of the car just put them behind each other.

I disconnected the battery and had no problems with the airbag lights either.

richie kaye

Oct 26, 2012
West Midlands
Ive read the centre console needs some persuation to come out,So you didnt remove the carpet fully?
Just bent it over and cut the underlay out by the centre console...

richie kaye

Oct 26, 2012
West Midlands
Ive read the centre console needs some persuation to come out,So you didnt remove the carpet fully?
Just bent it over and cut the underlay out by the centre console...

andrewkettle

Yea, just lifted it up and cut it, the back only needs one little cut, the front needed cutting all the way along the side.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I did the same. The underlay under the centre console was fairly dry, the majority of the water had been stored by the underlay in the footwells.

slickbone

Apr 4, 2010
I would just like to mention that I had water leaking in from the pollen filter. If you take off the pollen filter cover and remove the pollen filter, the 'tray' that the pollen filter sits in needs to be removed. Under this 'tray' are seals. Mine was worn and I simply used a sealant where the seals were damaged.

Result no leaks! Thought I'd just add this if anyone else has had this issue.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
What was involved in you removing the tray? I tried to remove mine but it seemed to be bolted in place with some plastic fixings that just turned to mush when I tried to undo them.

slickbone

Apr 4, 2010
Slimy, the actual removing of the 'tray' was done by a garage that I've used for the last 2 years as I could not do it myself (Not good with my hands). The garage is in Cannock and here is their site: http://www.midlandvw.co.uk/find_us.html

I'd suggest you give them a ring. They are very helpful. One of the lads there took it out for me and re-sealed the broken seals. This was about a month ago. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Aha, I'm very familiar with Midland VW, very good garage. It turned out mine was just the drain holes blocked up, but I'd have preferred to be able to seal the tray. Ah well, perhaps a summer job!