Light knocking noise from rear

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I've noticed a light knocking noise coming the from the rear of my car on uneven roads.
Anyway I checked spare wheel and seat catches and tailgate etc but its not them.
I today found I can replicate it just by lightly bouncing the car.
Anyway I can't feel anything through the drop links but I can feel the knock through my left rear shocker.
The question is has anyone had a rear top mount knocking or a shocker?
My car is a 10 plate and only done 8600 miles.
I spoke to the dealer who said if they were unsure which part it is they want to keep my car for 2 days:wtf:
I wondered if the dealer would try and blame my h&r springs although its obvious the noise is coming from the shocker area.
Anyone any views on this?
Thanks

indyr

May 2, 2011
Hi Marshall - did you ever get this resolved?

I have booked my car in for its 1st service next week and have not driven it for about 2 weeks.... Took it out today and noticed a knocking noise on the Left Rear side (thought I had a puncture at first or the rear mudguard had come off) - only done 2800miles.

It only appears to happen at low speeds, say braking from 10-15mph slowing down etc etc... Its getting a tad annoying and wanted to know what the fix is. I don't want to waste endless amounts of time with the stealers next Saturday and instead ask them to look at the main failing components.

Any Ideas???

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
If the noise could also be described as a creak, it may be the ARB bushes. I had similar problem and when I jacked up the car, the creaking was very bad, more at the back than the front. I lubricated the bushes with a silicone spray about 6 months ago and it seems to have cured it.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Hi Marshall - did you ever get this resolved?

I have booked my car in for its 1st service next week and have not driven it for about 2 weeks.... Took it out today and noticed a knocking noise on the Left Rear side (thought I had a puncture at first or the rear mudguard had come off) - only done 2800miles.

It only appears to happen at low speeds, say braking from 10-15mph slowing down etc etc... Its getting a tad annoying and wanted to know what the fix is. I don't want to waste endless amounts of time with the stealers next Saturday and instead ask them to look at the main failing components.

Any Ideas???

My noise was the shock absorber.
The dealer replaced one which cured that side.
I had to replace the other side myself as Seat wouldn't as it was only a noise and not a fault!
It's been perfectly quiet since and now covered 18000 miles.
Good luck with the terrible and unhelpful Seat aftersales.

indyr

May 2, 2011
Hi TimSawf & Marshall,

Appreciate the responses back - have been doing a few searches to see what the 'general' symptoms are and it appears to be either the rear drop-links or the anti-roll-bar bushes as mentioned.

I found these responses and one being on a different forum, so I thought i'd share (not sure if I am allowed to paste URL's from a different forum):
http://seat-sport.co.za/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=12035
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240607

I'll phone through to garage/servicing department to let them know of another task for Saturday's work on my LCR and will keep you posted on what they find the issue is!!!

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
When I was diagnosing mine faulty shocks was unheard of.
The R runs different shocks to the rest of the range so I found out by part numbers.
The only other thing I can think you should check is where the carpet trim goes to the rear lamp inspection panel in the boot.
Lots have had the trim rattling against the body including me.