Mk5 Cupra reliability

That's fair enough

I'm really interested in having one of these but want to read up a lot first :)

don't blame you mate! lets be honest they're quite expensive for what they are lol!

as with every car there will be a few teething problems in its early years, but i feel if you buy a later model you'll be fine! engines were meant to have been revised from 11 plates on....but we shall see

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
well like i've said mines is a late 2011, there's no receipts for any work carried out by seat (car is still under warranty) and i've been checking the oil regularly because i'm petrified by the oil consumption problems lol, but it hasn't been using any!

one of my friends has a 1.4tsi A1 and has been running a remap (for the last 6000 miles) without any problems

I said more not someone with. Glad to hear yours is ok but that's not changed my mind just yet

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
I had a 59 Boc from new and for the first 12 months it was absolutely flawless - I'd recommend having one just to experience it but would be shot of it within a year-18 months for value purposes and before anything major goes wrong.

All my problems with the Boc started after a service at Arnold Clark SEAT, the car spent the best part of the next 7 months or so in and out of their garage trying to sort out whatever the hell they did during the service (this included a major loss in power) and according to SEAT it all turned out to be an incompatible ECU upgrade but I'm still convinced there was more to it than that.

Got rid after about 21 months of ownership as it started mis-firing shortly after having the issues 'fixed'.

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
had a 60 plate with battery in boot. had a misfire early on so got new plugs and update then nk probs upto 32k when i sold it. loved the car and was gutted to sell it but i have lost my job so it had to go :( would defo get one again though :)

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
oil usage and misfires.

Have a look in the Fabia II section of briskoda. ive stopped looking in the oil burning and misfire threads now because its just become boring and repeated.

the CTHE engine is basically the CAVE engine with all the updates fitted.

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
Who has a 60 plate + Cupra /boc? Does your engine eat itself,gearbox fail/rattle, drink oil like its fuel and misfire and run like a 3 cylinder corsa?

I'm looking to decide yes or no If I want the mk5 during 2013

Any help would be great.

61 Plate Cupra with 13k miles, had it 4 and a half months and put 7k on it with no issues. Oil is around a litre every 2500miles which isn't too bad. Gearbox/magnetic clutch rattles a bit but they all do that.

I've had misfire issues but they were self inflicted due to getting the car remapped, changed the plugs and dropped the gap from .6x down to .55 and they've been cured ever since.

wezzel98765

Jul 11, 2011
oil usage and misfires.

Have a look in the Fabia II section of briskoda. ive stopped looking in the oil burning and misfire threads now because its just become boring and repeated.

So basically the engine is still rubbish :/?

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
oil usage and misfires.

My god, people are well bitchy on that forum. They are like a bunch of girls.

Couldn't find anything about the new engines being a problem

wezzel98765

Jul 11, 2011
My god, people are well bitchy on that forum. They are like a bunch of girls.

Couldn't find anything about the new engines being a problem

Well they do drive skoda's... ;)

Must admit though, the VRS is the same price as the Seat now and the Polo that used to be much pricier, has is only fractionally more now!!

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Ok here goes. Owned a 59 plate very early Bocanegra, it got through 3 engines and one gear box. Mods were Revo fully body kit Weitech 3 way adjustable coil overs all round, stiffer arb and bushes. Oh and other small cosmetic mods.

Absolutely loved the car it was awesome when it worked. Reason for 3 engines was that mine was an early one with all the associated problems. Once the new and final engine was fitted it only used 1 ltr of oil in 5000 miles. The dealership where it was finally repaired really persevered with it and got it working properly.

Would I have another one, I cannot believe I am typing this, but the answer is yes. When they work they are **** quick and really fun to drive. Rattly yes, noisy yes. But a bucket o fun most definitely !!

I would go for a later one and probably a Cupra as they are a wee bit cheaper than the Boc even second hand. We need a second car again at the moment.

For this Im looking at another pocket rocket Either a Clio, or a SEAT. I cant abide Minis, Fiat felt slow and the DS3 just doesnt do it for me.

Mrs B and I both miss the Boc, and the DSG was bloody brilliant when you were feeling lazy! Love its replacement the Supercopa, especially since its been Stage one Revo'd.

Try and find one of the last of the Pre FL Cupras or an FR if you are going to get one. Or one with at least 18 months of warranty or not dicked around with to any great extent. Then if you do have to take it in the dealership wont blame you for any dodgy mods.

B

Last edited:

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Had to put this on for old times sake. Prior to suspension change.

DSCF2128.jpg

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
Chuck, I remember reading about your problems. A late as poss per facelift was actually the plan, side skirts and spoiler a must as I think it really makes the car (should be standard tbh) stage 1 and 312 brakes. The last engine they fitted do you know the engine code?

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
I had a 1.4TSi Cupra previously. Was in the same boat as you and loved the looks of them, had test driven a couple and loved how they drove.

Bought one, had a few months but any time I fisted it the engine light came on, oil consumption was in no way consistent, it'd be fine for a couple of months then suddenly say the sump was half empty.

Sucked all the fun out of owning the thing, and felt like the 210bhp under the bonnet was for bragging rights only - couldn't ever use it. (It was stg1 APR when I got rid - but still had problems standard.)

DSG was also great for round town but it should've been a manual, when kicking down it always felt like it made the wrong decision because the engine was too small, and the top end felt very lifeless imo.

Last edited:

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I had a 1.4TSi Cupra previously. Was in the same boat as you and loved the looks of them, had test driven a couple and loved how they drove.

Bought one, had a few months but any time I fisted it the engine light came on, oil consumption was in no way consistent, it'd be fine for a couple of months then suddenly say the sump was half empty.

Sucked all the fun out of owning the thing, and felt like the 210bhp under the bonnet was for bragging rights only - couldn't ever use it. (It was stg1 APR when I got rid - but still had problems standard.)

DSG was also great for round town but it should've been a manual, when kicking down it always felt like it made the wrong decision because the engine was too small, and the top end felt very lifeless imo.

You "fisted it"???? What year and mileage

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.