Project: Heat Elimination

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Just thought I would start a thread on what I am doing at the moment.

As most are aware, one of the biggest problems with this engine is heat. Block temeratures are massive with this engine and its not uncommon to see oil temps of well over 120 degrees after some spirited driving, things only get worse when mapped. And block temps are a major catalyst of the misfiring problems. This results in heat soak, high intake temps and power reduction.

I have got to the stage now after remapping, adding induction kit, fitting an intercooler, fitting a custom exhaust and swapping my radiator with an upgraded one that I have a decent understanding of the car and I believe I can improve things.

I am going to do the following:

1. Improve the air flow through the front of the car
I will cut away any useless plastic, hopfully it will allow more air to hit the radiator and intercooler

2. Insulate the entire manifold/turbo/exhaust system
This will keep heat inside which will make the gasses flow quicker and improve performance whilst reducing under bonnet temps massivley.

3. Insulate all oil pipes, coolant pipes
This will reduce another source of heat under the bonnet. I know oil and coolant need to be cooled down but thats the job of the radiator and the one I have is a beast so i will trade off heat leaving the oil and coolant under the bonnet for the reduction in temps.

4. Insulate the boost pipe that runs past the downpipe

This is a floored design. Downpipe temps will be around 900degrees and boost pipe temps will be around 200 degrees before the air passes through the intercooler. I want to stop heat transfer from the exhaust to the boost pipe and it will reduce any radiating heat.

5. Insulate the intake system.
This will reduce any heat soaking into the intake system from the bay.

My plan.

In brief I will use many layers of different materials.

1. Use high temp paint on the metal surfaces to stop corrosion and help the insulation process. Will build up to a thick layer.

2. Use some cheap fiberglass rolls to cover pipes over 1". This will provide extra voulume that heat will dissipate rather than radiate outwards through the surface.

*For smaller tubes and the turbo and flanges, they will be painted with heat barrier paint instead

3. Some cheap exhaust wrap to contain the fiberglass, it will work as a first with the fiberglass which will slow the time taken for heat to get through to the main heat reducer in step (5) so that that can work up to its full capacity.

4. High temp silicone spray to fill any joins in wrap and preserve the wrap.

5. Titanium wrap rated at 1000 to 1300degrees which should anhialate any heat that gets through

6. Another coat of high temp silicone spray

7# Boost and intake pipes will have a reflective wrap to finish to reflect any radiating heat.

Check mate heat

I will post pics up of my progress

Last edited:

yea_good_1

LOVIN THE BOC
Sep 24, 2010
I was looking into a similar thing when I had my boc might be worth you looking into zircotec that stuff looks like it is the nuts might do a better job if combined with wraps etc? But by the sounds of it you shouldn't need all the wraps and its a lot easier than having to wrap everthing. When I wanted my bits doing they said they were very busy with all of the Formula 1 teams bits at the beginning of the F1 season... Must be good for them to do all the F1 stuff!

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
All my wrap and stuff comes to around 125. That will wrap everything in the bay. I don't know about coating but would be much more

yea_good_1

LOVIN THE BOC
Sep 24, 2010
Yea I would imagine so I didn't realise the wrap was that cheap but depends what gives the best results whether its worth it or not.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
We will see......waiting for the silicone to be delivered with the rolls of titanium. They should be here this week so will be looking at doing the wrapping on the weekend. I will do some data loggin of block temps, intake temps, timing etc to compare pre and post wrap.

It will prove a decent cheap mod if it works. People pay £250 for an intake that increases bhp by 5-10, this wont really give a bhp increase as such, but is even more inportant in my opinion because it should enable the car to hit the dyno figures consistantly rather than one off with the dyno.

Usually after a few rounds of spirited driving, you can feel the power decreasing.

Im finding it difficult atm to identify all the pipes. The big ones are obvious, but the smaller ones are hard to trace. Was wonderng if it was worth trying to paint the block in heat barrier paint, but other than taking it out which i im not doing, I cant see how i would be able to access it

yea_good_1

LOVIN THE BOC
Sep 24, 2010
That's the key with that engine is try to reduce as much heat as possible not trying to get more power and reducing heat will probs increase power anyway but not a lot. I would try and let as much heat out of the engine and insulate everything else. On the subject of cutting stuff to increase airflow around rad don't cut the plastic on the back of rad I asked about that bit apparently the heat wil transfer into the rad from behind its a sort of heat shield

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Yeah. Was going to put it all up as one. The engine build got in the way and still a few issues atm. Exhaust done, turbo and manifold done some coolant lines done,heatshield customized. Will put it all up under my engine rebuild thread once all hardware sorted. Intake pipe done also.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.