Saying bye to the leon

Jordan359

Jan 14, 2011
After much deliberation, endless searching and reviewing of various cars, I have decided to leave the seat behind.

In my search for a new car worthy of providing me with a bit of oomph but also having a nice driver environment for my daily commute to work. I have to decided to go with a 2.0 TDI 170

Scirocco. I personally consider the Scirocco to be a beautiful motor, I had considered the leon and golf however the Scirocco seems to present a unique and almost special look which gives it the edge over the two.

My only deliberation now is the decision on whether to opt for DSG or Manual, this is where you guys come in handy. Please share any relevant information you feel could help me to decide as at the moment i'm torn between the two.

Cheers

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Scirocco looks nice but damn the seats are not the most comfortable. I test drove a few as the missus was infatuated ith them but even she said after being in it that they seats were not comfy enough for her and rear view was also compromised. The golf was a much more pleasant place to be in and comfort was right up there. In you're in a lot of stop start traffic I ould recommend DSG also if you like a nice relaxed and lazy drive. If you are a "driver" on the other hand you will miss the manual changes after a while.

mikey-P

if its for just road use and driving in traffic i would get the DSG, so much nicer having an auto when its all stop start.

Dsgfr11

Mar 30, 2012
Northamptonshire
Had dsg in the Ibiza it was a great experience but I never really used the paddles after the novelty wore off and missed being in control of my driving so went back to manual in the Leon but that was just me I like to drive my car and feel connected but dsg is awesome if it suits you

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
Having owned a 'sporty' Golf diesel (TDi 150). I would suggest that the diesel won't feel as sporty as the petrol. Certainly I missed the petrol engine note. Also diesel lumps tend to be heavy and do affect handling and currently a lot more to go wrong. Yes the torque is fun but its not much fun driving it flat out. - Just my 2 pence.

I would go for DSG no question. Its why I chose to come back to VAG after owing a faultless Mazda. A think the combination of a DSG and a fast petrol is un-beatable as an all round work\pleasure drive.

I also get to drive a Type R - I don't think VW's shift quality can come close - another reason to go with DSG

Last edited:

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012
I'd just echo what everyone else has said about the DSG. Marvellous piece of engineering, and for normal driving it's great.

Personally it makes me feel a bit disconnected, and the paddles don't really make up for having a manual. DSG is just not as much fun.

Jordan359

Jan 14, 2011
Trust me Betty, I have nothing against the leon and certainly do not consider myself to be a "badge snob". My decision is purely based upon my personal taste, when i first got my leon, the scirocco was not a viable option due to the price. However I do still love the curved looks of the leon but in all honesty just fancy a change.

Cheers for the comments on the DSG vs Manual, It has helped me slightly in my decision. However I think ill probably need to test drive both to ultimately decide, as both options present pros and cons.

Dsgfr11

Mar 30, 2012
Northamptonshire
Trust me Betty, I have nothing against the leon and certainly do not consider myself to be a "badge snob". My decision is purely based upon my personal taste, when i first got my leon, the scirocco was not a viable option due to the price. However I do still love the curved looks of the leon but in all honesty just fancy a change.

Cheers for the comments on the DSG vs Manual, It has helped me slightly in my decision. However I think ill probably need to test drive both to ultimately decide, as both options present pros and cons.

I like the scirocco I looked at one before the Leon but wanted a bigger boot and always wanted a mk2 when they came out, let us know how you get on

Last edited:

Jordan359

Jan 14, 2011
Why is that steve? Id rather have the 2.0tsi petrol if truth be told, but I could not justify the £1000 extra a year that it would entail. Unfortunately with the mileage I cover, the diesel makes more sense. Supposedly the diesel 170 can be remapped to 210-215 bhp without any problems, which would provide me with plenty of speed.

I had the a3 sline 140 remapped with the dsg, I got bored with the hesitation, the jerkyness the manual mode wasn't truely manual, the paddles were a waste of time, it could never make up what gear to be in. Its the shortest I've ever owned a car. If you want an auto get a proper one if you like driving get a manual, I swapped mine for the cupra and I'm happy to pay the extra in fuel.

Oh mpg on the dsg is worse, I had a golf before the a3 same engine+ remap it averaged 6mpg more on my normal route, the a3 only got 37mpg. I had a couple of passats on hire, done exactly the same trip and again the manual was better, I didn't get over 60mpg out the dsg, the annual I got as high as 69.9mpg according to the dis,long term on the dis was higher on the manual too.

If you must have a diesel I would have a serious look at the passat cc 140 cr.

Pss53

The Master
Jan 1, 2013
Leeds, UK
Having just swapped my scriocco for a leon fr 170, I'd say I prefer the Leon, just for praticallitys more than anything...

Getting in and out of the rocco is a nightmare, boot space shocking, and rear view is none exsistant...

Saying that, the speed of the 2.0 GT TSI is amazing, 210 standard, had mine kicking about 240....I had the manual gearbox and it's excellent and smooth, I tried many DSG's and just didn't enjoy it...felt like a go cart and not a car...

Last edited:

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
I've just swapped to a supercopa cr170 dsg and I can't ever see myself getting a manual ever again.

Try both manual and auto but for me the driving experience has been increased. You can keep your hands on the wheel and just give it some. There are a few things that annoy though but these have been outweighed by the dsg convenience.

I also tried the scirroco and just couldn't get on with the poor visibility and the doors are massive. Boot wasn't too bad tbh but it is what I call a compromise car. In the end I thought a 320d coupe is a better alternative to a scirroco but I saw my supercopa before I signed for a 320d and that was that as they say.

Either way I hope you enjoy whatever you end up with mate.

tronski

Jan 6, 2006
Yes the Scirocco's are nice, I also test drove one, but as the previous poster said, they are a nightmare to get in and out of. Being 6'4 I'd be forever hitting my head getting in and out of the car which seemed daft. So ruled it out personally for me.

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
I looked at the Rocco. The AWD of the Golf R swung it for me though. The front and profile of the Rocco are beautiful, but the bum is pretty fat. The Rocco is a bit like J-Lo, the back side ruins it.

With regards to DSG, yes I miss manual, but I'm quicker in the DSG and if I want a relaxed drive to work in traffic I just stick it in Comfort (DCC) and Drive and cruise. Clutches tend to last longer in DSGs too.

And to the badge snob comment, which I suspect was a joke, once you've been and sat in a high end VW or Audi you'll realise they are a much nicer place to be. I miss my Cupra for various reasons, but the interior and customer service isn't part of it.

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
I test drove a 170 scirocco DSG today and thought it was awful. At stated before I think the brake pedal is way too high. I'm 6ft 1 ish and my head was touching the roof and the seat was as low as it would go. And it felt so cramped and dark compared to the leon. Yeah it's a 3 door but my 3 door Astra didn't feel as bad. I wanted one before today but I've got to say I don't anymore.

Everybody has their own opinion just my two peneth!

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Why is that steve? Id rather have the 2.0tsi petrol if truth be told, but I could not justify the £1000 extra a year that it would entail. Unfortunately with the mileage I cover, the diesel makes more sense. Supposedly the diesel 170 can be remapped to 210-215 bhp without any problems, which would provide me with plenty of speed.

From what I understand, diesels cost more to buy, and cost more to insure. So that offsets your fuel costs anyway and depending on how long you're going to keep it, it may not be cost effective to do so.

It would be worth taking an hour or so to work through all the costs before assuming a diesel is cheaper.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.