fitted new thermostat today

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
Spent the day doing some servicing items on the car, and as part of it I replaced the coolant thermostat as I was getting the needle dropping symptoms.

So, after an awkward reach with a long extension I finally got the housing off, new stat in and everything back together, then..........

Looked down to see the rubber seal lying!

Aaaaaaaargh! Everything back off again.

Eventually got it done tho and seems to be working properly again.

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
That's the one I followed, mate. Good guide.

Lucky I had the use of a garage worth of tools.

The top bolt wasn't too bad, it was the bottom one that was awkward.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Yeh, Also tryed the ball ended Allen key approach, but snapped the ball clean off the end of the key! I found theres a p clip holding wires, bolted to the alt, once removed, it allowed for much better access. but Yeh fiddly little bit. Would take ten seconds if access was simple!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
You tried fitting a silicone tip to one of these? Ha its a blood nightmare! Lol

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2

I got a neuspeed tip fitted years ago by the tuning garage I've always used, but as my brother in law has a lock up and access to a garage with a lift, 5 minutes from me I thought I'd take the opportunity of using the facilities.

I've done things like fmic fitting and brakes before but now I've got the facility and tools I think I'll start to do more work myself.

Brother in law is body shop/ mechanic trained so got a watchful eye.

I did find however, the cars not the easiest to work on, even the oil filter was a ball ache to get a grip of

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
Will need to look at getting one,

the tool I used was a 3 pronged clamp which you attach to a socket wrench, and the more you turn the harder it grips, was just making contact tho.