Large/Small MFD

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Hi folks,

Quick question...I've noticed that some Leon FRs have large MFDs, whereas my FR has a small MFD - Was this an additional option from new?

Thanks.

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
I have a '07 plate FR TDi, but i have spotted a '57 plate FR TDi with the large MFD. I like the look of the larger MFD so was wondering if it was an option from new.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
The larger MFD came with the bluetooth option did it not?
I don't think you could actualy choose the larger display as an option.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yeah 57 plate FR TFSI with the small MFD here (no bluetooth)

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Yes the larger MFD came with the Bluetooth option. It allows you to view your phone book, change some vehicle settings (comfort indictors, coming home light duration etc etc)

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Yes you can as I have done it but its the whole set of dials and not just the one dial. You just need to make sure is from the same car, I.e. Cupra if you have one or a TDI if you have that etc. you need to get the immob coded to the keys and car as its built into the cluster. The hardest part is getting a suitable cluster!

Also, you can't fit a FL cluster to a pre FL model as they have different fittings on the back.

sclarkson82

Aug 22, 2011
Barnsley
So if I get fr tdi ones, is it just a case of coding and fitting ??

Is there any benefit from having larger mfd other than looks ?..

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Well, I believe the larger MFD can specify what error the car is showing on the dashboard rather than just put out a yellow light on the console. I am sure there are a couple of other things but I do not recall them at the moment.

joostdeblok

Sep 18, 2011
Netherlands
Hi guys, here is one of the large MFD cluster questions. Didnt want to open another new topic though!

I can buy a large MFD cluster in the Netherlands for cheap money, it obviously has the large MFD, a tacho which will go to 280 km/h (170mp/h in the UK I think) and has the same rev layout aswell.

Only problem it's a FR unit, and as I have a Cupra I want the Cupra logo/Rev counter. Does anyone know if it is actually possible to open the instrument cluster and just change the rev counter plate? This could be a delicate job to do but for the money it's worth it.

Thanks in advance :whistle:

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Hi guys, here is one of the large MFD cluster questions. Didnt want to open another new topic though!

I can buy a large MFD cluster in the Netherlands for cheap money, it obviously has the large MFD, a tacho which will go to 280 km/h (170mp/h in the UK I think) and has the same rev layout aswell.

Only problem it's a FR unit, and as I have a Cupra I want the Cupra logo/Rev counter. Does anyone know if it is actually possible to open the instrument cluster and just change the rev counter plate? This could be a delicate job to do but for the money it's worth it.

Thanks in advance :whistle:

I believe it can be done but it is tricky because you need to remove the needles to allow you to remove the dial face. Hubbly in South Africa has a guide for a Ibiza as he changed the leds so that gives you an idea of whats involved. The hard part is getting a Cupra dial.

Also, as you have mentioned, you need to make sure the FR and Cupra are exactly the same in terms of rev counter and speedo because if not that will cause you problems.

joostdeblok

Sep 18, 2011
Netherlands
I believe it can be done but it is tricky because you need to remove the needles to allow you to remove the dial face. Hubbly in South Africa has a guide for a Ibiza as he changed the leds so that gives you an idea of whats involved. The hard part is getting a Cupra dial.

Also, as you have mentioned, you need to make sure the FR and Cupra are exactly the same in terms of rev counter and speedo because if not that will cause you problems.

Thanks Rob, I just red Hubbly his thread. So far all the items (speedy/rev counter) match, except the rev counter logo :think:.

I will use the one from my current Cupra clocks if they will be simple to remove. This might be a start as they share the same 'platform'
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/instrument-cluster-removal-jetta-golf.htm

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.