Center Grille stolen, is the grille the same on all Mk2s?

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
Hi,

Just found out that the Grille has been stolen off my car.
(The upper grille, the one with the S on it)

Is the Grille the same on all Mk2 leons or did they change.
I know the bumper design has changed but wasn't sure if the grille itself has changed.

Last edited:

X cupra

Nov 4, 2012
Oxford
What year is yours bud....2009 facelift grilles were slighty smaller...bad luck mate how did it happen they must of really yanked it off and prob damaged it aswell being the bonnet was shut....b******s

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
Its a 2005 MK2 2.0 TDI Sport

I was at a match so I suppose they had plenty of time to do it.
I can see screwdriver marks on the bumper where the clips were
And the 2 holes at the top of the bumber where the grille was attached are stretched.
I'll have to wait for daylight to take a proper look.

I've seen one on ebay but if i do a google search on the part number I see very few results
1PO853654A

I'm hoping a breakers might be able to help, just hope I don't have to buy an entire bumper!

Last edited:

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
Did you have a chrome one or a black one? You have the same shape grille as me.

eBay are always good for that. I bought my black one via sere-motors on eBay.

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
Just as I post the message I get the postage cost, less than £10 :)

I'd like to look around a bit more first, almost a week before the auction closes.

So it sounds like I'm looking for a grille from a Mk2 Leon pre 2009 facelift.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Its a chrome one.

This is the one on ebay that I found
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEON...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ce6f960c

Just have to find out the price to ship to Ireland

That won't fit your car. You need a pre-2009 grille. That one's for 2009-onwards, as you can see from the compatibility table on the listing.

If you're in Ireland, have a word with Dave at Sere in Belfast in his section of the forum. Not sure what price a standard grille would go for these days though, but the postage might be more favourable being on the same piece of land!

Edit: this is the one you need. But the guy's feedback isn't great!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Leon...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f20af390a

Last edited:

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
That won't fit your car. You need a pre-2009 grille. That one's for 2009-onwards, as you can see from the compatibility table on the listing.

If you're in Ireland, have a word with Dave at Sere in Belfast in his section of the forum. Not sure what price a standard grille would go for these days though, but the postage might be more favourable being on the same piece of land!

Edit: this is the one you need. But the guy's feedback isn't great!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Leon...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f20af390a

great, thanks for the tip off.
I really should have checked that

Its a bit confusing. at one stage I was looking at a similar finished auction from the same seller but with different compatible cars
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEON-FRONT-GRILLE-BRAND-NEW-1PO853654A-/140901181509#vi-ilComp

That link you gave me looks good.
Why does it say 2004 when the Mk2 came out in 2005.

I'll try and contact Dave too.
I think he can't ship outside of UK and I'm in Rep. of Ireland but can't hurt to check it out.

Last edited:

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
That link you gave me looks good.
Why does it say 2004 when the Mk2 came out in 2005.

The Altea's and Leon's have the same grille. The Altea was released in 2004, hence why they mention 2004 onwards :)

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
ah, now the 2004 makes sense.
Thanks Kaza, that might make it easier to find a replacement.

Thanks for that offer Masterkm.
I'm gonna check if I can get something sorted locally but if not I'll get back to you.

ste-lfc

Jul 7, 2005
cheshire
Hey, i have one of these from my old car, it is as new and boxed if you pm me your addy i will send it to you for free............

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
I'm sure I say this every time but I'm very impressed with this forum.
Its a fantastic resource to have and everybody here is so helpful :)
Thank you to everybody.

@Kaza I can't see any damage to the bumper. the places for the clips are still there. I do need to check that the holes at the top will still hold it. If not I might have to use a few washers to hold it in.
I actually didn't put in the new grille yet. I'm waiting until the weekend so that I can do it in the daylight. Work is getting in the way :(
In a way I'm glad the grille came out so easily if the damage was minimal. They must have known what they were doing. Almost feels better to know it was a professional :p

@ste-lfc I'm actually ok now. I got one locally and it didn't cost too much. But thank you very much for your most kind offer.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
TBH mine wasn't that easy to get out and I had the bonnet open and top push clips out.:lol:
One had broken anyway.

Glad they didn't damage anything else. As you have said you should be able to bodge the top hole with a washer or similar to get the smaller fixing hole.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I didn't bother putting the top screws back in when I fitted my Linea. It seemed secure enough. Maybe it's different with yours having been forced out though. It's strange the things that get stolen. Somebody stole the front bumper from my neighbours Transit a few years back!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members