Knocking noise from steering - 2007 Altea

egroover

Nov 18, 2008
Hi all

just noticed today a dull knocking noise when turning the steering wheel either when driving slowly whilst turning the wheel or when stationary. The knock sounds like it's coming from within the engine bay/offisde front wheel area.

It knocks when turning the steering wheel about 5-6 times on a whole revolution i.e. from center to 2 o'clock position, from center to 10 o'clock etc
There doesn't seem to be able play in the steering and apart from the noise there is no issues, but of course I am worried about driving it...it just seemed to come on today

It's an Altea 1.9tdi , just coming up to 4 years old, 35k on the clock

hope you can help, will book it in to the dealers, just wanna brace myself if I am looking at a big bill!!!

cheers all

Sep 10, 2011
cheshire
Hi all

just noticed today a dull knocking noise when turning the steering wheel either when driving slowly whilst turning the wheel or when stationary. The knock sounds like it's coming from within the engine bay/offisde front wheel area.

It knocks when turning the steering wheel about 5-6 times on a whole revolution i.e. from center to 2 o'clock position, from center to 10 o'clock etc
There doesn't seem to be able play in the steering and apart from the noise there is no issues, but of course I am worried about driving it...it just seemed to come on today

It's an Altea 1.9tdi , just coming up to 4 years old, 35k on the clock

hope you can help, will book it in to the dealers, just wanna brace myself if I am looking at a big bill!!!

cheers all

did you find the cure for this mate as im having the same issue

graemep7ii

try jacking up car and see if there is any movement in the steering tie rod or track rod end, also check the drop link for the anti roll bar, only other likely things are bottom balljoint or possible broken spring, none of these jobs are very expensive to fix, if tie rod or track rod then tracking will need to be reset after, but parts are cheap, track rod around 7, tie rod 10, drop link 15, balljoint 25, spring 30-60, all these jobs are dont take long to do, i would expect no more then two hours for the biggest strip down which would be the spring cghange, the rest are max 1 hr jobs,, so you should not see a big bill, btw the prices i got are from euro car parts, you can also get discount if you put in the promo code on the homepage of website, hope this helps:)

Sep 10, 2011
cheshire
Any news guys ,think mine has started doing this!!

No not really but my mate has his own unit and is pretty handy and he's had a look and reckons its the actual steering knuckle which is part of the complete column which I have managed to source but he can't get my car on his ramp because its to low :( so I'm having to live with it for but it's only noticeable when I turn when stationary so it's not too bad I'm just hoping I can get this column fitted one day lol

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Mine just started to do this recently, think its a spring but cant see how to check it, had the car up on ramps during the week and couldnt see anything bent or out of place around the spring, wheel was off also so inspected the CV boot and its perfect, it makes a dull ping when turning left. Checked the wheel bearing also and no movement at all on the wheel completelty solid.

lardyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Mine just started to do this recently, think its a spring but cant see how to check it, had the car up on ramps during the week and couldnt see anything bent or out of place around the spring, wheel was off also so inspected the CV boot and its perfect, it makes a dull ping when turning left. Checked the wheel bearing also and no movement at all on the wheel completelty solid.

Mines exactly the same ive seen somewhere on here it can be the strut bearing at the top of the suspension seizing up causing the spring to twang. my noise is on the nearside when turning, i had mine replaced under warranty about 5 years ago must be a common problem!! but it was like a grinding noise then!!:confused:

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Mine was making a noise similar to CV joint going, changed it, still there. Just chnaged the ARB drop links - they looked and felt OK ie no movement and tight, BUT when removed joints at both ends were as loose as a *****s knickers, flapping about all over the place. Problem solved and cheap to do.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members