High mile PD owners - how are you getting on?

BigV

Apr 17, 2010
My Toledo (150pd sport) is on 132k and it does what it is supposed to (i.e. get me where I wanna go!) and has just flown through the MOT........ however: It is a tad smokey on start up and possibly has a minor oil leak (could be neighbours car tho). It also has an irritating grinding noise when coasting in 1st/2nd gear at low speeds and the turbo whistle is very loud but I'm told that is normal? Then there is the glowplug/check engine light which keeps coming on with a glowplug fault code despite the fact I have had the plugs changed and wiring checked!

Finally, I know 132k is a lot but the paintwork don't half look **** unless a big effort is made to polish it up with a T-cut colour restorer polish (then it looks good for a week or so). My previous leon was the same; the paint on these is very soft and it is realllly easy to pick up minor scraches and stone chips... mine has a lot of stone/gravel rash on the front from all the motorway driving.

It is a nice car and I prefer it to the Leon, but I suspect big bills are always just around the corner on these high mileage PD TDIs, so many things like DMF/Injectors/turbos/clutches can go wrong and one big bill ofsets all the fuel savings over a bog standard N/A petrol.

Having said that for the moment it goes like stink and does 50mpg+ on the motorway, with my overall average being 42/43ish and I'm not sure what else I could get that has this level of performance combined with a sensible insurance price.

Last edited:

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
My Leon (Mk1 FR TDI), which I've owned for all of 5 months and has a massive 57k miles on the clock, has had various faults including:

Failed alternator pulley clutch
Failed rad fans
Slipping clutch
Rear washer doesn't work
Wheel paint bubbling
Yellow paint fading randomly giving horrible patchy/blotchy appearance
Seals above doors are coming away from the bodyshell.

So glad I traded in my old Ford Focus for a 'quality' car.....

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Just got rid of my Leon fr at 116k miles. Only problem I had really was DPF, car was in good condition other than that.

Last edited:

Seatleonfr

I got rid of my 2002 51 plate golf gt TDI 130pd on 253,900 and it is still going strong. Nearly 270k on it now and it's owned by my sister in law. had 4 injectors and a turbo at 44k but that was under warranty.

ivangn

i have 170 k remap and many many drags and zero problems and we people here in portugal like PD130 whit over 150k are god to tune :D

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
I'm at 169k on my 2005 Leon FR TDI 150, had to replace a few things so far since November:

Coolant temp sensor
MAF
Pancake pipe
Various intercooler seals and clips

Finally sorted the boost leaks but I now feeling the dmf/clutch maybe on its way out!

Fun times ahead! Would still like to remap it though at some point.

DarrenJ

Seat like you mean it!
Dec 3, 2008
Galway, Ireland
I'm at 169k on my 2005 Leon FR TDI 150, had to replace a few things so far since November:

Coolant temp sensor
MAF
Pancake pipe
Various intercooler seals and clips

Finally sorted the boost leaks but I now feeling the dmf/clutch maybe on its way out!

Fun times ahead! Would still like to remap it though at some point.

Boost leaks - these engines make a very loud whistle and I find I can hear the air going through the aluminium pancake pipe when under hard acceleration.

Also the open cone and decat increase the sound of air travelling around - this makes me wonder if there's boost leaks - but I went around all the pipes and sealed them up as a preventive measure a good time ago and the boost gauges shows consistent boost.

She isn't boosting anymore though after a remap even though it goes a lot quicker.

She's hitting 77k miles now and wanted a few things since my ownership from 54k onwards:

MAF
Temp sensor
Brake light swithc
EGR cleanout

Actually hasn't been too bad.

It's just the charging air noise does make other people in the car say 'is it meant to make that noise' and I just say back 'Yes it is!'

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Just turned 161,000 on my '05 Altea 2.0TDi BKD, have it since 30k. Oil and filter change every 7,500 miles, I know possibly over spending on oil but not sending it to a garage so don't mind, still very happy with car can still put a smile on my face when I decide to go for a italian tune up.. only gripe is the cost to tax (700euros) but a good note is I got to 560 miles this week on single tank, so everything still ticking over, like to know how others getting on with their high mileage BKD's.

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
I've done 200k in my cordoba, had it nearly 10 years and it's never let me down which is quite good considering I had it remapped after 6 months with 2k on the clock. It's had the same issues as most have like boost leaks etc but nothing serious. My only problem now is whether to spend a lot of money to hold on to it or to do the sensible thing and sell...

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
Just under 170,000 and has never let me down (yet) .Uses a bit of oil but always did .50 plus mpg .
Thinking of changing it but keep putting it off .Its not costing me anything.

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
I feel your pain!
Read a post here a while back from someone who had a Leon mk1 130 and it had 240k on the clock so that's given me something to aim for....

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
I've done 200k in my cordoba, had it nearly 10 years and it's never let me down which is quite good considering I had it remapped after 6 months with 2k on the clock. It's had the same issues as most have like boost leaks etc but nothing serious. My only problem now is whether to spend a lot of money to hold on to it or to do the sensible thing and sell...

simiar to me.
2003 130 PD, i've had it almost 6 years its currently on 203k (135 of them by me) still getting average 54-55mpg and for the last 2 years doing avg 600 miles per week.
considering trading for something else, but then it's not costing me much, next months MOT will help with that decision

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.