DSG owners (petrol or diesel)

fa11ows

Leon FR TFSi
Feb 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Any of you guys find your Leon up shifting to sixth gear by 40mph? I stopped at a roundabout tonight,waited for a car to pass before setting off. Hadn't even done quarter of the island and I was in sixth gear at 38-40mph with the car sounding a bit unhappy?! This normal ?

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
I have DSG but I don't know when it changes into 6th... because I can't remember the last time I ever drove it in D mode ( probably the first day I got it! ). I did notice how it likes to change up too early and I never felt in control, so from then on I have always used Manual mode, it's just a habit now :D Plus the sound when changing gears manually is just magic

rich.leon

Leon FR TFSI, DSG
Oct 25, 2012
Rochester, Kent
yes mine is in 6th just before the 40 mark using light throttle, i thought these gearboxes learnt your driving style ie: if you was a faster driver it would change up a little later even with light throttle but mine has never changed in this respect (2.0 tfsi)

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
yes mine is in 6th just before the 40 mark using light throttle, i thought these gearboxes learnt your driving style ie: if you was a faster driver it would change up a little later even with light throttle but mine has never changed in this respect (2.0 tfsi)

Incorrect.

The DSG transmission shift behavior adapts to variables like internal wear, D or S mode, and other input factors like throttle position and rate of change, uphill or downhill, and applies these variables over an existing shift map. Learning is the wrong term since it means new knowledge that wasn't there before- the transmission cannot learn anything new, it just applyies variables to existing maps. The perception of a reaction to driving style is the result of the change in a number of variables which the DSG compensates for.

rich.leon

Leon FR TFSI, DSG
Oct 25, 2012
Rochester, Kent
Ah ok, hence why it does'nt change its behaviour after a faster driving style when driven lightly again, does make sense, was just something i read on the net ages ago

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
This is the one major thing I can't stand about my DSG. 6th at 40mph! Come on!

The car sounds like it's labouring and grumbles like mad.

And why is it that when the car is in D and in 6th at just under 40mph, when you switch to S it drops to 3rd then revs the nuts off the car? There's another 2 friggin gears between them! Why can't they do a setting in between D and S?

Google DSG reset and there is one but it seems long winded.

I just placate myself by using the paddles and screaming at the car!

On another note, if you don't mind the feeling of wadding through treacle by driving in D the car really does give some good MPG results. I'm getting around 45 mpg just knocking about!

Gonna have it remapped around the 10K mile mark and hopefully this should make it even better.

richroberts

Aug 16, 2007
Worcester
My pd140 diesel will only change up after about 2000 rpm if under slow acceleration. Never experienced it going that slow, in fact sometimes when Im trying to get max mpg I'm waiting for it to change up. Maybe try resetting your DSG, cant remember the method but you hold down the accelerator for so many seconds I think. Somebody on here will know.

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
This is the one major thing I can't stand about my DSG. 6th at 40mph! Come on!

The car sounds like it's labouring and grumbles like mad.

And why is it that when the car is in D and in 6th at just under 40mph, when you switch to S it drops to 3rd then revs the nuts off the car? There's another 2 friggin gears between them! Why can't they do a setting in between D and S?

Google DSG reset and there is one but it seems long winded.

I just placate myself by using the paddles and screaming at the car!

On another note, if you don't mind the feeling of wadding through treacle by driving in D the car really does give some good MPG results. I'm getting around 45 mpg just knocking about!

Gonna have it remapped around the 10K mile mark and hopefully this should make it even better.

There is, Manual.

Pick which ever gear you want = problem solved and you will also get better mpg this way too.

You can reboot the system by turning on your ignition ( but don't start) and push the accelerator down into kickdown mode ( You should hear or feel a click), hold this for 20 seconds then release. Turn off ignition then start it up.

I went out to test in D mode then and it's interesting to note that mine wont change into 6th until around 50mph, no matter how gentle. I have the latest update on the DSG which must have fixed this issue of a labouring engine. So I suggest an update from the dealers :)

Last edited:

volts

Sep 1, 2011
Having just got my 1.6 TDI changing into 6th at 40 heck ive seen 7th at 45-50. It's a weird experience coming from a petrol Focus auto with only 4 gears to play with.

Also found it drops down to 4th to accelerate with the slightest prod of throttle. Learning curve I tell you

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I don't have dsg, maybe next one, but can't you get them mapped anyway to improve all this, sure Revo did a map just for the dsg

Yeah but it really just makes the car more suitable for "sporty" or track driving. And removes the torque limit, and some other stuff

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
I don't have dsg, maybe next one, but can't you get them mapped anyway to improve all this, sure Revo did a map just for the dsg

The people with this issue must not have the latest update. I dont drive mine in D ever but I tried it out the other day and it changes like a dream, into 6th about 49 mph and it doesn't labour in any gear atall.

The revo remap just increases the clutch plate clamping power by increasing the oil pressue which allows you to run more power through it without the annoying torque limiter kicking in ( only in high gears between 2-3k revs and a lot of throttle). I have experienced it a few times but I dont like to do pulls in high gear anyway as it can ruin the turbo, so I always change down and have no problems. The DSG can handle over 400hp and corresponding torque

si_d

D mode in my eyes is there as an an MPG friendly way of driving as it changes up so quickly. I only ever use it if I'm just going to mill about or on a Eco drive.

Put it in M and have some fun!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.