HID headlights

cuprarmikey

hi all
looking at changing to get HID headlights where are the best place to purchase these? and do I need the error cancelling bits with the kit? also which bulb kit D2R or D2S?
cheers mikey

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
Don't need CAN erroer cancelling ones. You'll want H7/H7R ones. D2R/D2S aren't retrofitters, they're for cars which have them from factory.

H7R ones are recommended as they don't dazzle oncoming traffic

Last edited:

kent cupra r

Apr 8, 2011
chatham, kent
Hi guys,, how do you get on with the dredded m o t, i thought as of last year you could not fit any after market lighting only manifacturers units,,

k1_cupra

Dec 26, 2012
I would recommend HIDs direct... Always ordered from them and quality is excellent. If you have any problems just send them back and they send you a replacement straight away! Don't buy the cheap copies from eBay etc... They're crap!

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
I would recommend HIDs direct... Always ordered from them and quality is excellent. If you have any problems just send them back and they send you a replacement straight away! Don't buy the cheap copies from eBay etc... They're crap!

Cheers dude

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
If you got std headlamps as said go for H7R bulbs as the H7 bulb are for angel eye style headlamps
I got 4300k in mine which give off a natural white light,this subject has been covered a good few time & many ppl have said they have not had a problem with them on mot :)

cupra r tdi

leon cupra fr
Oct 21, 2010
gloucestershire
I have a set of decent 6000k in mine and work very well but remember if you buy cheap thats what get which is the mistake i made when i bought a set for my audi.

frazpot

Sep 27, 2011
York
Thats another +1 for Hids-direct, great service and quality looks brill.
Just got mine installed, nearly got frost bite in the process mind! :p
- 4300k 55w - Wow! Waiting for it to go dark to check em properly.
The slim ballasts are very small, managed to get them fixed in no probs in the end- on the shelf in fornt of the battery and on the same shelf on drivers side as i couldnt get the washer bottle out!!

georgen

Jan 17, 2013
Sunderland
They don't fail the mot providing they are aimed correctly and they are the right colour, their fitment is irrelevant.

I Have heard they are cracking down on Hids and whats needed to run them, I lifted this off a MOT tester forum.

Quote:
Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.
The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.
This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems. Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose.
It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.
HID headlamps can be easily recognised as they generally:
u take a few seconds to reach full intensity
u have a bluish tinge to the light
u have an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp
u may also have ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.
Headlamp washing and levelling systems are mandatory for all vehicles fitted with LED headlamp systems, although these are not yet widely used and only tend to be optional fitment on some executive marques. However, as LED systems improve and because they can be arranged in almost any design configuration, they are sure to become more common.
Where headlamp levelling or cleaning devices are missing or defective, but there is doubt as to whether they are required, the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued.

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
I Have heard they are cracking down on Hids and whats needed to run them, I lifted this off a MOT tester forum.

Quote:
Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.
The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.
This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems. Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose.
It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.
HID headlamps can be easily recognised as they generally:
u take a few seconds to reach full intensity
u have a bluish tinge to the light
u have an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp
u may also have ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.
Headlamp washing and levelling systems are mandatory for all vehicles fitted with LED headlamp systems, although these are not yet widely used and only tend to be optional fitment on some executive marques. However, as LED systems improve and because they can be arranged in almost any design configuration, they are sure to become more common.
Where headlamp levelling or cleaning devices are missing or defective, but there is doubt as to whether they are required, the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued.

Thats a can of worms opened :clap:

If they fail easy to pop a set of std bulbs in for mot

georgen

Jan 17, 2013
Sunderland
Thats a can of worms opened :clap:

If they fail easy to pop a set of std bulbs in for mot

Mates a tester too, and he says if theres any evidence of HIDS or the ballasts, it should FAIL. But its like everything, as it says if in doubt you have to pass, there is also very very strict testers and not so strict, so I suppose time will tell ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members