Oh no.

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hi all, I've been away for a while due to other commitments but I've still got the mk1 cupra.
It's been faultless but when I left work this afternoon I heard what I thought was a police siren in the distance, I work on a dodgy part of Manchester and it's the theme tune to life round there!
Anyway I soon realised it was my car: oh no the bloody turbo! I drove home carefully, it didn't feel quite right and there was a weird kind of thrumming which could be felt if I went faster:

I got home and am trying to enjoy my sons third birthday today but at rhe back of my mind I'm thinking oh sh£&t!

Is it looking like a new turbo? And if so where do you go these days for a new one without going to the agents?

Any help would be great, many thanks indeed.

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
im getting the same problem, lots of siren sounds. mines on 131k so its expected but i think im gonna get a reconditioned turbo. starts from about £250, a new turbo could set you back 500 quid or more!!

Last edited:

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hi, who does the recon items then please? I've been looking in the classifieds, I've seen a few over rhe months but I didn't need one then!

Could I get mine reconditioned at all?
Thanks, 20v roper.

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
Hi, who does the recon items then please? I've been looking in the classifieds, I've seen a few over rhe months but I didn't need one then!

Could I get mine reconditioned at all?
Thanks, 20v roper.

is the turbo smoking at all or not?if not you can always check the shaft and see if there is anyplay in it,just a little wiggle but there should not be anymassive movement in the shaft of the turbine.that is one way for sure if your turbo is shot.
A reminder to some......after owening a old renault 5 turbo i was always told to let the car idle for few mins let it warm up and the same for when parking the car,same as before let the car idle for few mins then switch the engine off,after a long run or motorway drive i normally allow at least 4 mins or so max.
the pure reason for this is that the oil lubes up the turbo and for it to run all good you atleat need warm oil and this in turn keeps the turbo running all good.
it might seem abit oot yo do and let the car warm up and down but it will save your turbo big time.

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hi I've seen 'smoke' in very cold weather but I've put this down to start up conditions especially when sat in traffic.
It's only today I thought I could hear a police siren in the distance but then I realised it was my car. I'll see how or goes, or will be ok to drive gently do you think ?.

Thanks 20v roper.

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
to be honest, i bought mine in august last year, previous owner said when he had owned it, it used to siren. Its still sirening now but runs perfect i can really boot it and its still fine. i dont suppose it could be a massive issue...until it blows up obviously

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
Hi I've seen 'smoke' in very cold weather but I've put this down to start up conditions especially when sat in traffic.
It's only today I thought I could hear a police siren in the distance but then I realised it was my car. I'll see how or goes, or will be ok to drive gently do you think ?.

Thanks 20v roper.

yeh id give it a few weeks or 2 see how you get on.mine will smoke abit then its normally away in the air,its when youe smoking bad from the turbo that your in trouble thick somke that is (white also)like i said,otherwise check the turbine shaft its self,think of metal to metal and thats normally the turbo crying out its not a good sign

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Thanks mate, it's a bit 'gruff' to drive and doesn't sound right!
Just what I didn't need. Can't seem to get through a January unscathed these days!

Thanks 20vroper.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.