• More than Once / 3 to 12 months

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Once / Over 12 months

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • More than once / Over 12 months

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

BlueDay

The problem being I have an 18" stress fracture. Took it to my local SEAT dealer who said the warranty guys will not replace a screen twice (my origional screen was scratched and damaged on delivery to the dealer) and in any case, if there was a problem with the screen it would have cracked more or less straight away, not 13 months later. So if anyone on here has had theirs replaced more than once under warranty, and how long before it cracked, I'd love to know!

Cheers,

Dale

BlueDay

Tried a search but I can't find out what I need to know.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Stress crack problem

When went to test Leon Cupra R before buying the one I test drove had same problem. Was told by salesman ( an honest trustwothy salesman - rare I know) that this was a common problem and would be fixed under warrenty. Something to do with the stiffness of the chassis. Where does it crack?? I've seen two, both at drivers side about 8" from bottom.

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
Junior Senior said:
When went to test Leon Cupra R before buying the one I test drove had same problem. Was told by salesman ( an honest trustwothy salesman - rare I know) that this was a common problem and would be fixed under warrenty. Something to do with the stiffness of the chassis. Where does it crack?? I've seen two, both at drivers side about 8" from bottom.
I had a cracked windscreen in exactly the same place, 8 inches up on drivers side.....it were a long one......
Do you think I can speak to my dealer about being reimbursed the £50 I paid the insurance company for the repair?? Sorry dont mean to hijack this thread.!!! :thumbup:

Neilr134

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Passenger side 8 inches up.

Had 20,000 miles.

Garage said they would only replace upto 6000 miles, as if it was a stress fracture then it would have happened before.

There was definately no stone chip, they said they could not find any ( used magnifying glass) but could not be arsed arguing over £50.

I think one windscreen place has a life time warranty, if its going to go multiple times, maybe have a look at that

skOOby

Sep 2, 2002
Bucks
Visit site
Windscreen number 4 at the minute - 20,000 miles :censored:

First was a stress crack - replaced under warranty :clap:

Second was also a stress crack - Dealer had none of it :censored: and reckoned it was a stone chip :censored: so had that one replaced by a certain windscreen company that uses orange vans.

Number three was damaged at the time of fitting - and the wrong glue used - so I had a 1" gap at the top and nothing at the bottom where the glass had slipped!

Now, touch wood, on Number 4, which so far has been ok during all this hot weather. (Seemed to be the cause of the first two stress cracks)

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

FriarFR

Jul 3, 2005
Hampshire
just had exactly the same thing - passenger side, 8 inches up, from edge inwards + horizontally

6 inch crack appeared from nowhere - I pushed it to see if it were bad - extended to 8 inches!

thankfully covered under work insurance

only got car in August
10k miles though :shrug:

FriarFR

Jul 3, 2005
Hampshire
was that a repair or a replacement? you can normally get chips repaired for free if you have fully comp insurance and your no claims remains unaffected... :doh:

May 30, 2002
Bedford (innit)
Had 2 new windscreens.

First was when I left the car overnight, came out and it had a massive crack going from bottom left corner going diagonally upwards.
Had this replaced under my old companies insurance, so nothing to pay there.

2nd time (about 12 months later) again came out to find crack in windscreen similar to the 1st one, managed to get it repaired for free by autoglass under their guarantee (they fitted the 1st one) after they eventually found the details in their computer system!