Cupra vs Cupra R

Sep 17, 2011
lol, just look for one in a dealer and take it for a test drive and you will see what i mean!
take my advice and get a revo map instead!

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Both the LC and the LCR are good cars... find a good condition example of either and you will be happy.. buy on condition - not mileage.

At the time I was looking in 2005 LCR's were out of my price range for anything that was in remotely good condition and not abused hence I landed up buying an LC for nearly half the price of the LCR at the time ... the few extra upgrades on it were not worth the cost difference in my book. I also felt the LC was the more 'mature' option being less 'boy racer' which meant I could park it anywhere without worrying too much about the car.

Also keep in mind the LCR's do tend to be more abused than the LC's due to the nature of the people who buy them ... therefore finding a nice LCR that hasn't been abused or messed about with these days is in fact very hard. You will find it easier to find an unmolested or abused LC for sensible money.

I've had my LC nearly 6yrs now ... its been one of the best cars I've owned. Ultra reliable, great fun to drive and modify and I certainly don't think I'm missing out by driving an LC instead of an LCR. It drives beautifully and better than a lot of cars that have done half the mileage of my LC and half the age as it has had no expense spared. It's worth noting I've driven some immense cars in years gone buy so to hold the LC in such high regard is a pretty mean feat!

If you are serious about buying an LCR then I would spend as much as you can on buying the best example you can find ... buying a £2k-3k LCR is going to end in tears.

As for coming from a Fabia vRS .... I have one of those as well ... just keep in mind the running costs for the LC / LCR are DOUBLE of the vRS ... it might not be an issue for you but nothing worse than buying a car you cannot afford to run.

HTH :)

Last edited:

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
If you plan on doing alot of tuning to the car I would say an LCR is a better starting point straight out of the box. But if your not fussed about the difference in looks and doing alot of mods then an LC will be ok for you. I just love the look of the LCR and if your planning on keeping and modding def worth getting the LCR. Mines standard at the moment but will start adding parts this year. I love mine puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it which im sure will be alot bigger when theres alot more horsies under the bonnet lol

chrispyvrs

Dec 25, 2012
Both the LC and the LCR are good cars... find a good condition example of either and you will be happy.. buy on condition - not mileage.

At the time I was looking in 2005 LCR's were out of my price range for anything that was in remotely good condition and not abused hence I landed up buying an LC for nearly half the price of the LCR at the time ... the few extra upgrades on it were not worth the cost difference in my book. I also felt the LC was the more 'mature' option being less 'boy racer' which meant I could park it anywhere without worrying too much about the car.

Also keep in mind the LCR's do tend to be more abused than the LC's due to the nature of the people who buy them ... therefore finding a nice LCR that hasn't been abused or messed about with these days is in fact very hard. You will find it easier to find an unmolested or abused LC for sensible money.

I've had my LC nearly 6yrs now ... its been one of the best cars I've owned. Ultra reliable, great fun to drive and modify and I certainly don't think I'm missing out by driving an LC instead of an LCR. It drives beautifully and better than a lot of cars that have done half the mileage of my LC and half the age as it has had no expense spared. It's worth noting I've driven some immense cars in years gone buy so to hold the LC in such high regard is a pretty mean feat!

If you are serious about buying an LCR then I would spend as much as you can on buying the best example you can find ... buying a £2k-3k LCR is going to end in tears.

As for coming from a Fabia vRS .... I have one of those as well ... just keep in mind the running costs for the LC / LCR are DOUBLE of the vRS ... it might not be an issue for you but nothing worse than buying a car you cannot afford to run.

Excellent, thanks for all the advice. It does seem if I can sell my fabia privately then i'd save some money in regards to buying a LC, I reckon thats one of the reasons why im considering one, although running costs would be a slight worry but I am doing smaller journeys now. Lots to think about!

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Excellent, thanks for all the advice. It does seem if I can sell my fabia privately then i'd save some money in regards to buying a LC, I reckon thats one of the reasons why im considering one, although running costs would be a slight worry but I am doing smaller journeys now. Lots to think about!

Don't look at buying an LC as 'saving' money ... it's not going to happen. :lol:

A vRS is a very reliable car ... we've put 25k on ours and it's only needed tyres, oil and MOT ... returns 50-60mpg all day long ...

A Cupra on the other hand will likely have niggles that need sorting such as leaky doors, coil packs, boost leaks and so on ... then will return 28-30mpg instead...

So you may land up buying a 'cheaper' car depending on what the vRS sells for but that cost difference can soon disappear if the Cupra in sorting any niggles out and the fuel economy.

IMHO your reasons for changing aren't sound TBH so give it some serious thought. You don't buy a turbo charged petrol car to save money...

... that's BEFORE you start modifying it ... not IF but WHEN... :rofl:

greck999

SLOW work in progress....
Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Mr ocd. How do u rate the fabia vrs overall. I've been looking at possibly getting one in the future. I think they look really smart. Especially with the light interior.
The economy is the major factor here, with my LCR costing more and more. Tax costs high and fancy a change.
Thanks.

Neil.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Mr ocd. How do u rate the fabia vrs overall. I've been looking at possibly getting one in the future. I think they look really smart. Especially with the light interior.
The economy is the major factor here, with my LCR costing more and more. Tax costs high and fancy a change.
Thanks.

Neil.

Great cars... cheap to run and maintain... excellent chassis with a pokey engine... not build as well as our Leon's.

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
not thought of the deisel leon?? my pd130 is pretty quick and with a remap it gets to at least 150hp and its still pretty good on fuel

Guizado

Aug 13, 2012
South West London

Now dont get me wrong Mr OCD, I think you are totally right, but sometimes calculated risks can be taken, I have owned 3 Previous cars that were all CAT D's, 2 of them the 1.8T engine and never had any problems with the cars, neither of them had Service History, now im not saying you should buy one without, but sometimes if you really want a specific car then you might be willing to risk, I just dont agree that 100% of the cases will end in Tears, ill give you my example of how i maintain may Cars, im super carefull about Mechanics, oil changes services etc, but to be honest I slack alot, regarding washing my car, and I often smoke in my cars.

ANYWAYS the point I want to make is that I dont recommend buying a car on the low end of the price, but if you really want that car and if you are aware that you might end up spending £1000 on a course of a year, then HELL go for it.

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
Don't look at buying an LC as 'saving' money ... it's not going to happen. :lol:

A Cupra on the other hand will likely have niggles that need sorting such as leaky doors, coil packs, boost leaks and so on ... then will return 28-30mpg instead...

So you may land up buying a 'cheaper' car depending on what the vRS sells for but that cost difference can soon disappear if the Cupra in sorting any niggles out and the fuel economy.

IMHO your reasons for changing aren't sound TBH so give it some serious thought. You don't buy a turbo charged petrol car to save money...

thats true if your thinking of owning a turbo car you wont be saving money at all.it might strech a bit further but not very far at all.the leons are pertty good i find on the motorways if your crusing at about 65/70 and pretrol is pretty good.
compare the the renault 5 i owned that was pretty ok on petrol with a std exhuast but when i switched to a side exit exhuast then it would lose about 5,6,7 miles or so but its the thing i taken to.the leon even with the foot down can be a stinker but then its up to me to pay for the petrol ect.
if you want to save money on petrol then get a old or even new 1L or so car.ie i had my mums KA for 5 days used 1/4 of a tank and must of covered up to about 100/130 miles or so :rofl:
I went in a taxi one which was the skoda and one which was the audi..............imo the skoda was ok looking but the interior was a joke and horrible same with the audi not the best unless your talking about the rs4 interior then thats a diffrent story.
the new audis remind me of good looking women,good looking on the outside but the inside is a joke and hasnt got a clue:whistle:

MMA FR150

MMA Team Gladiator
Jul 4, 2009
stoke
I thought I would chuck my two Pennith in, I test drove 180 20vT Cupra ,150 Cupra fr+ TDI a lcr225 (BAM). The difference was unbelievable. IMO Cupra was nice drive pretty quick good handling. Cupra fr+ was really strong through the revs pulled like a train and no effort. Put deposit down I liked the look and drivability. Went home happy as a pig in poo. Then looking on Internet found a LCR225 onvi yellow and only 40k, researched it a bit and put deposit down to secure a viewing. Went 2days later and fell in love with it straight away the looks low down aggressive stance was awesome. The seat was like a glove. Black interior recaro Cupra R seats. Took it for a test drive and it was EPIC. The difference was unbelievable. Had a stage 1 fitted straight away and it was brutal. Done exhaust lowered and remapped for exhaust and it was unbelievable. Best car I have owned. It was still returning 32mpg easily and on a run to Cornwall was hitting 40mpg no probs. I admit I did drive a little spirited and the loud pedal did sing to me putting me in a trance. I was gutted to get rid. The point I am trying to make is that you know you have gone from a sailing yacht to a motor yacht. The cost is different because the cars are completely different. I know people thrash the Cupra R but they thrash the Cupra to make it as quick as the Cupra R. Different turbo not worth it. I spent a fortune on my Cupra R and don't regret it at all. CUPRA R all the way but it has to be 225 Bam. The looks on people's faces when you put the foot down and pull away from cars £20k+ was hilarious.

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I thought I would chuck my two Pennith in, I test drove 180 20vT Cupra ,150 Cupra fr+ TDI a lcr225 (BAM). The difference was unbelievable. IMO Cupra was nice drive pretty quick good handling. Cupra fr+ was really strong through the revs pulled like a train and no effort. Put deposit down I liked the look and drivability. Went home happy as a pig in poo. Then looking on Internet found a LCR225 onvi yellow and only 40k, researched it a bit and put deposit down to secure a viewing. Went 2days later and fell in love with it straight away the looks low down aggressive stance was awesome. The seat was like a glove. Black interior recaro Cupra R seats. Took it for a test drive and it was EPIC. The difference was unbelievable. Had a stage 1 fitted straight away and it was brutal. Done exhaust lowered and remapped for exhaust and it was unbelievable. Best car I have owned. It was still returning 32mpg easily and on a run to Cornwall was hitting 40mpg no probs. I admit I did drive a little spirited and the loud pedal did sing to me putting me in a trance. I was gutted to get rid. The point I am trying to make is that you know you have gone from a sailing yacht to a motor yacht. The cost is different because the cars are completely different. I know people thrash the Cupra R but they thrash the Cupra to make it as quick as the Cupra R. Different turbo not worth it. I spent a fortune on my Cupra R and don't regret it at all. CUPRA R all the way but it has to be 225 Bam. The looks on people's faces when you put the foot down and pull away from cars £20k+ was hilarious.

Even more fun in an LC though... last thing thats expected :cartman:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.