Leon Cupra project “The Black Mamba” 800++ HP 1.8t build(engine assembly page 9)

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
finished working on the "welding jig" today, we made provisions to insert the back purge argon into each runner individually. at the end of the day we almost finished all of the first run of welds but ran out of Argon gas in one of the balloons so more gas was ordered for tomorrow morning ,we should finish welding up the rest of the runners tomorrow and completely finish welding the whole manifold. distortion to the runners was eliminated by letting the welds cool before continuing to the next so there was no torque and all the runners fit back into their place after dismantling them this is also why we build the second jig in order to hold everything in place while removing the runners to be welded two at a time.

IMG_2597_zpsb04789fa.jpg

IMG_2592_zps4ac64350.jpg

IMG_2588_zps4e70865e.jpg

IMG_2585_zpsd4ffd80c.jpg

IMG_2579_zps132d2610.jpg

IMG_2572_zps10ea2d35.jpg

IMG_2570_zps5151e8d7.jpg

IMG_2569_zpsb3afb001.jpg

IMG_2567_zpsaad8b0c3.jpg

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Thanks mates for all the compliments!!!

I had to make the Manifold as compact as possible in order to clear the transfer case that sits directly beneath the manifold and make sufficient room to possibly root a 4" DP, at least up to the driveshaft...I am almost sure that further than that it won't be possible unless I modify the tunnel and firewall a bit.

By the way if anyone is interested I will be mass producing the manifold for anyone looking to run a Twin-scroll Turbo

alfa

Hi Talx....

Can you PM me please....

i'm looking for a set of rear caliper brackets :D

alan

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Finished working on the valve cover, I removed the original breather and the back wall of the valve cover then welded in the hole left from the breather and finally flattened it out on the mill
so now the valve cover is nice and flat and clean looking. next thing to do was make a spacer plate for the FSI coils which are taller than the original 1.8t coils.
just need to drill the valve cover for the new breathers and weld them up and then it goes out for powder coating.

IMG_2672_zpsbe2baf3d.jpg

IMG_2673_zpse6381c2d.jpg

XIMG_2677_zpse779fd9c.jpg

XIMG_2684_zps29402936.jpg

XIMG_2680_zps76ebf295.jpg

also milled the turbo manifold flange flat next week I will take it to my cylinder head shop to get a perfect finish for the flange mounting surface.

XIMG_2641_zps6519b016.jpg

1/8 NPT 40mm fuel pressure gauge for the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. sand blasted primer and panted black, it's all in the details. :D

XIMG_2689_zps1f35ab0d.jpg

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
did some work yesterday on some bits and pieces, got the valve cover sand blasted and ready for powder coating only problem is I couldn't find any powder that will hold up above 200* so I ordered some which should arrive next week also thinking on getting my own powder coating gun since I do a ton of parts and the industrial guns need about 2-3 kg to fill the system.

next thing on my list was the hot side charge pipe I sketched up the correct V-band flange and sent it to my milling shop to get CNC'd this has special dimensions as acquired for the EFR compressor housing. got the nipple shaved off of the compressor housing (sounds painful LOL) but couldn't finish of the surface because the drill bit wasn't long enough so a longer one will arrive next week.
you can see I am using a hard bend off of the turbo that will be welded to the V-band flange and the bend got cut back as much as possible to insure a low profile for the pipe and to clear the AN 12 breather hose fitting on the valve cover

IMG_2764_zpscbc058a8.jpg

IMG_2763_zps48c84384.jpg

IMG_2716_zpscb43d4ef.jpg

IMG_2713_zps67974ad2.jpg

IMG_2712_zps372de6d4.jpg

IMG_2720_zps88476801.jpg

IMG_2765_zps8ac7c030.jpg

IMG_2789_zps8a65e444.jpg

a few small bits arrived Mocal oil cooler thermostat sandwich plate which I needed to cut the original pipe holding the oil filter in order to fit it and also got some K-nuts heat resistant 10mm nuts in order to withstand the heat of the turbo manifold. they should not cease under heat and also not come loose under extreme conditions, expensive but I guess that attention is in the details

IMG_2790_zpsbdebc451.jpg

IMG_2795_zps7a8470c9.jpg

IMG_2784_zps17defa49.jpg

Reactions: EmDee

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
small update, cool it thermo insulations came in for the turbo manifold and the turbo oil and water lines, also received a Cat Cams ca gear, I will be taking it in to have the gold hard anodize removed and have it reanidized in black
gota keep it all black in the engine bay.

I finished work on the compressor cover and received a Vibrant Band which I needed to modify the lips in order to work with the "small" 2.5" V-band on the compressor cover
got the compressor and valve cover powder coated matt black. they came out looking awesome if I may say so myself lots of work went into that valve cover.also the coil spacer will be anodized as well.

next thing on the list is the engine block machine work, I finished working on the SW sketch for the CNC work getting done to the block, more about that in detail when I get to it also took a mockup block to the CNC shop to get measured for the program and install for the work I hope maybe next week we will start the actual work on the engine block finally.

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
finished working on the turbo manifold ,got it back from the shop after having the head flange surfaced flat for optimal metal gasket sealing ,also got it wrapped up in the cool-it header wrap to hold in as much heat as possible

received a Setrab oil cooler its 15 rows and 405mm long so it's a bit bigger than the standard 19 row 235mm core
I don't have any room to mount it in the fog lights because one side has the fuel surge tank and one side is the intake duct , therefore I will be mounting it above the intercooler id the middle of the upper grille got a set of bsc1/2 to AN 10 fittings for the oil cooler sandwich so I can do an AN oil line setup

Next update is engine block work stay tuned ;)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Top work with the manifold mate, looks proper! :)

That oil cooler also looks decent. Love this build.

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Thanks guys.

One of the things I have been trying to figure out is how to root the turbo oil drain line. I have added 3 photos of the optional roots. the one that is horribly sketched up in windows paint is a hard line setup form stainless steel that roots threw the runners to the back down to the oil pan and then converts to a braided line into the oil pan I am actually leaning towards this setup although it roots threw the runners I have raped the manifold and have a special heat shield for the oil line as well.

Any opinion on which option you like the best is welcome.

option 1

option 2

option 3

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise