cupra overheating!!!!

jamesginge2012

My mate has a 2001 ibiza cupra.
started overheating today needle was in 120 mark!
has fresh oil in it, no fuses are blown, fans are all working, perfect amount of coolent and water in car, radiator is working fine, yet temperature still rises when he drives.
can anybody help or have any ideas lol
cheers james.

jase_cupra

top man james
my old man reckons its to do with the water pump and all that..
hopefully someone on here and help?

JacketJ

Jul 13, 2008
Hampshire
Could be a few things. How quickly does it overheat and do the radiator pipes get hot? Maybe thermostat is stuck shut.

jase_cupra

car will sit at correct temperature and then when i start driving the temperature will climb fairly quick

jase_cupra

im pretty sure the radiator pipes are pretty hot to when i held them

jase_cupra

yeah man i checked all the fuses first because i read up theyre prone to melting or something
they are all sweet tho

Jul 4, 2007
bristol
check the thermostat first off. Then I would be checking compression and for coolant in the oil.
Trouble is if it overheats for any reason it can warp the head very easly so don't let it get above 90 whiles fixing the problem.

jase_cupra

yeh the fans do kick in mate

where abouts is the thermostat mate and how do i check it?
how do you check for compression?
sorry for all the questions i just need to get the car sorted asap as have just landed a decent new job and need to drive to it!
thanks all

Willow86

The thermostat is under the inlet manifold I found it easier 2 take the manifold off so u can get at it easier, not sure top of my head how much the thermostat was think it was about £8? And I replaced the I let manifold gasket that was only a few quid 2, less than £20 for the two, to check compression haveu got a gauge for it? U just take ur coil out and spark plug one by one and check the readings against each other not sure what it should be tho, have u lost any power? Or oil in water or vice verser?

JacketJ

Jul 13, 2008
Hampshire
Thermostat is next to the alternator, under the inlet manifold. Here's a guide on how to replace it without having to take too much apart: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=16925102. If the pipes are getting warm as normal though it might not be the problem.

Could be waterpump as mentioned, some have plastic impeller blades which can snap off and cause all sorts of problems. This will be a lot more hassle to change than the thermostat though, and you don't really want to just throw parts at it. Maybe worth getting to a garage if you're really not sure!

jase_cupra

if my thermostat wasnt working properly then surely the car would take forever to get hot?
this is not the case as that all works fine and radiator piping is hot and working as it should be
when car is at idle it is fine
when i start to drive/boost ect the cars temperature just climbs pretty quick untill it beeps and the redlight flashes
i dont want to drive it when this is happening as i dont want to do any damage
when i stop the car will cool down again and the light will turn off
is the waterpump and electrical or a mechanical pump driven by a pully??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members