Ibiza 1.4 SE - a terrible car?

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
Well, probably when all these turbocharged supercharged whoopy-doopy engines have blown out and are costing a fortune to fix, the old 85PS lump will still be, well, lumping along...

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Just traded my mk4 Ibiza cupra TDI in for a mk5 60 plate 1.4 goodstuff (based on the SE). Sure, it can't pull the skin off a rice pudding but I knew that when I bought it. Priorities change, and I no longer require the power, nor want to incurr the insurance costs. What I have is a well specced car that I enjoy driving (it rides better than the cupra and seems to go ok round the corners) and costs peanuts to run. Incidently, I've averaged around 47mpg on a run between Newcastle and York.

JonIbizaSC

Speed Blue
Jan 25, 2011
Worcestershire
I own a 1.4 SC which is the 85PS unit and agree that is slow. Very slow in that fact. But I love the looks, and the build quality is very good considering other cars in this market.

It hasn't missed a beat in the 2 years I've owned it....all be it I have only done 15K in it :)

Thomaso

Have a 1,4 and its slow as **** but gets the job done in normal city traffic and does have to decente fuel consumption at normal road speeds and not much worse at 90-100 mph cruise.

Aint any power before 3,5-4k rpm to be able to perform a some what safe overtake at 45-55 mph roads but the gearbox is pretty slick and its fun to use it.

Its not the car you would like if you want to have some kind of tourqe/power att low revs. But as some other said its fun to carry the speed(momentum) through corners. The steering is very light and lacks alot feel but is suprisngly precise when you learn it characteristics. the standarad chassis is pretty decent but understeery as most cars are.

tahiti25

Jul 22, 2012
I traded my 308cc 1.6turbo petrol in last year for an seat ibiza 1.4 copa se.
A big difference main reason was we got another dog who is a bit larger and eager than our other dog so didnt fancy the leather seats getting damaged.

After owning Peugeots for a number of years it has to be said I love build quality more in my seat as for power it does lack pace and sounds quite noisy ideally I would have liked the 1.2tsi but I got the 1.4 for 4k less than rrp. Reading the forum with all the problems people have with the tsi units I am glad I have the 1.4 its an old engine been in the polo for years but is reliable. I had a 1.4 rover years ago from new it was quick quiet and reasonable on mpg but after 30k on clock head gasket went.

Touch wood the ibiza will be ok