How to cook headlights open?

Juhuts

Nov 17, 2010
Finland
I´m doing Joeys mods to Cupra headlights and i have a little problem. Headlights doesn´t want to open. I´ve cooked them at first at 100 celsius about 20minutes. That didn´t have any efect on those lights.. Then i tryed another tip. I put my oven to 200 degrees and tryed at fist 1minute. Then two minutes... Then three...

Im begining to think that those headlight melts into one pile before than cracks open...
I have tryed to open them with screwdriver too, but it doesn´t help either.

Have anybody here opened the H1/H7 headligths? Any tips?

Juhuts

Nov 17, 2010
Finland
Problem solved.

I think that my first headligt was already opened by someone and putted together again to last some atomic bombing. I removed lenses with force.

Second one was easy. 100 celsius for 23 minutes and it was easy to remove with screwdriver.

Juhuts

Nov 17, 2010
Finland
Joeys mod.
If you´re headlight is like this:
Seat%20Cordoba%20Headlamp%2099-02.jpg

You open it and paint it to look like this:
18385940_1.jpg

Usualy Cupra headlights are already painted black, but sometimes they don´t.

May 25, 2008
cambs
Uk spec cupras all come with the darker headlights it's the lesser models that come with the chrome reflectors , European spec may differ though

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
I been wanting to do this for ages to paint the inside black rather than have black plastics, good useful info!

Bake at 100 degres for 23 minutes and serve with cup fo tea

Juhuts

Nov 17, 2010
Finland
Uk spec cupras all come with the darker headlights it's the lesser models that come with the chrome reflectors , European spec may differ though
Yes. Many eurospec cordy´s/ibiza´s comes with darker headligts, but there are still some models that don´t :p

I think 20minutes will do that too at 100 degrees. I just was so pissed off after that first one so i left it there for longer time.

I´ll might post some pics from this project after i´ve painted and putted glasses back together.

crisrik

Seat Cordoba 6K 1.4 44KW
Apr 23, 2009
Arad
www.clubseat.eu
Yes. Many eurospec cordy´s/ibiza´s comes with darker headligts, but there are still some models that don´t :p

I think 20minutes will do that too at 100 degrees. I just was so pissed off after that first one so i left it there for longer time.

I´ll might post some pics from this project after i´ve painted and putted glasses back together.

please do that..
we are a few interested guy's ...
thank you

nutzu

Nov 5, 2009
ROMANIA , GL
anyone tryed whit boiled water on headlights ? i hear that is a good metod :) i will try it . the oven i think is too riscant

Apr 12, 2008
Hello!
I had problems opening my old headlights..baked them 20 mins on 140 deg celsius and i barely managed to open them...however, silicone sealant that is suposed to melt stayed pretty hard..almost like plastic, not soft at all...i will clean it up and put some new silicon sealant...
Any advice what kind to use?
I read somwhere that headlights can be baked at 200 or even 300 degress for 3,4 minutes..any1 knows if thats ok..i am afraid they would melt?
Also, when spraying inside healights, what kinda of spraypaint to use? Temperature resistant?
What kind of primer for the spraypaint?

Last edited:

Finan

i went jap.. :O
Jan 18, 2009
Eíre
bebo.com
Is this *cooking* safe?
Cause it also meant to work with Civic lamps.. I knows its off topic but credit to the guy who had balls to put his headlights into the oven haha

dc1984

Are standard headlights and cupra ones the same apart from the black internal bit?
I want to convert my caddy van to mk3 Ibiza front end but cupra lights are expensive and hard to find compared to base model ibizas.

Thanks,
David.

Juhuts

Nov 17, 2010
Finland
It was safe to put headlights into oven. Atleast Vag ones handles the heat well, and sealant gets flexible so you can get it to open. Surely there would be instructions to civic headlight cooking somewhere too (I Would presume, because it is quite usual car too).

Standard headlights are quite the same ase Cupras if they are H1/H7 (I think, not sure about, but with two bulbs). Standard headlights can be too with H4 bulb when they differ a bit. That separate reflector part doesn´t have those little fins like in cupra ones, but basically they are pretty same.

dc1984

Thanks mate, no point in paying £100 for cupra light if the only difference is the tint when I can get base model lights for £30 then all I need to do is strip them and paint them.

Thanks,

David.

RayRoocroft

i used to do this to my fiesta headlights with a hair dryer, pretty much the same thing but much more concentrated heat on particular sections of the sealant.

Im wary to use the oven.... is it really that easy? 100 degrees for 20 mins? is there no risk of it cracking ?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members