need help with horn

Lewis7618

prior to me buying my gti someone has removed the steering wheel for a deep dish one an not attached a horn but i cant seem to find the two wires to create a push button horn?!! any help would be gratefully appreciated?!

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
there are no obvious wires for the horn,
theres a metal tab thats attached to the steering column on the plastic indicator shroud, thats one side of the circuit, the other side is the steering column itself which the horn earths through...

So really what you need to do is trace the wire back from the tab and just wire an earth finding switch
I think the wire colour you need is brown and blue but best check with a multimeter

Lewis7618

I've just replaced my indicator stalk should I of noticed it then as I saw no wire there mate? Sorry not really good when dealing with electrics but il have a snoop around

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
steering_colmn_copper_dust2.jpg

There you go mate, picture paints a thousand words and all that...

Connect that copper tab to a switch and the other side of the switch to earth and thats your new horn...
Better still if you can trace the wire that feeds the copper tab you can tap into that... usually you have to cover the bit of copper with tape or heatshrink etc for aftermarket wheels, as it may touch the 'steering wheel boss' and cause the horn to go off

Last edited:

Lewis7618

Mate your a legend cheers for that will give that a blast some time this week an let ya know