Is 38 MPG normal for 2.0 TDI (140 bhp)?

Wheakau

Mines a standard PD140 DSG, always returns 48 mpg in M mode, i normally change up between 1800/2000rpm, 46mpg in D...

Hope this helps...

I used to get about 39mpg (7.1l/100km) from my 2007 PD 140BHP DSG; mostly urban with about 25% motorway (@80-90 mph [130-150 kph]!).

This is almost 10 miles difference between same engines with DSG.. Odd indeed.

However taking into account my driving style and MPG described here I think there is nothing wrong with my engine. It seems to me that PD140 is just not most economical of all diesels..

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
i have a cr170 dsg my friend has a cr170 manual they are both brand new 62 plate cars and we both do a similar comute (i know its sad and we may as well be married but) i average 40mpg he averages 46mpg obviously long motorway drives are different

James_85UK

Feb 23, 2009
Leicester
I haven't actually got my Leon yet (picking it up on the 18th) I have a 90 mile round trip commute to work, I go from North Leicester to Northampton daily... My current car an 04 plate Fabia VRS is averaging about 52mpg unless I get involved in a race. Eager to see how well I can do with the Leon ;) (I know I'm sad)

Welby88

Oct 17, 2011
Chesterfield,Derbyshire
Mines a pd170 and all I get is arrr mate your driving it rong should be getting 60mpg (Vxr owning twats) as I'm getting about 38mpg until yesterday me and my mate put a custom induction kit on and I'm now getting 40 round town and its alot faster and sounds amazing

Mar 3, 2012
southampton, UK
I usually get about 43 on avaerage and mine is driving in town. I try to clear out the pipes at least once a week tho.

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
I was thinking about swapping over from my cupra 1.8t with a stage 1 remap to either the 1.6 cr or 2.0 ltr tdi's, does anyone do general motorway driving at a steady pace? I just roll along in the left lane behind lorry's now and i am getting between 42-45 mpg on standard and around 47mpg on super be it lorry speed is around 50-60 but i am not in a rush these days plus i get 6-7 days worth of travel out of a tank 80 miles a day but just wanted to know if anyone was hitting between 60-80 mpg out of the tdi's?

James_85UK

Feb 23, 2009
Leicester
I haven't actually got my Leon yet (picking it up on the 18th) I have a 90 mile round trip commute to work, I go from North Leicester to Northampton daily... My current car an 04 plate Fabia VRS is averaging about 52mpg unless I get involved in a race. Eager to see how well I can do with the Leon ;) (I know I'm sad)

Managed to beat my record this week, in the VRS I've managed to get 58-60mpg... took a lot of patience and a lot of abuse to get there though.

cupralite

Nov 26, 2004
Warrington
I normally get about 42-45mpg in my PD140 DSG. Have had up to 50mpg if I drive like a nun and the roads are clear and as little as 35mpg with a heavy right foot or lots of traffic.

The post about 1800RPM being the sweet spot is interesting - I'm going to test the theory out myself! Although economy runs are no match for right foot. :confused:

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi

I run a 2006 PD140 DSG with stage 1 Superchips map.

My run to work is 25 miles & mainly motorway with one stretch of about 20 mins stop start which kills the economy. However I still manage about 50mpg on this sort of run. On way home with less traffic I can get about 52mpg. That's driving about 70-75mph & not accelerating too hard!

My 'Trip 2' reading on the MFD is showing 49.2mpg after approx 1,200miles which obviously includes all types of journey inc motorway/town etc.

My engine definitely got more frugal as the miles built up & from about 25k onwards has probably been at its best. The Superchips map also helped the mpg as long as you don't boot it all the time.

As most have already said, the biggest impact on mpg is always the driver. When travelling plan ahead for what the traffic is doing ie if you see brake lights ahead on a motorway, come off the throttle & then use the gears to slow down.

All the best.

Roganjosh

Jan 1, 2013
I just filled my pd170 to the top, cost me £71 and the trip computer is telling me 445 miles to the tank! So thats roughly 40mpg, say 30

Last edited:

zak

Feb 2, 2012
london
PD140 inner london driving i would get around 41 mpg considering i shift gear before it hit 2000rpm.

Wheakau

Hi

I run a 2006 PD140 DSG with stage 1 Superchips map.

My run to work is 25 miles & mainly motorway with one stretch of about 20 mins stop start which kills the economy. However I still manage about 50mpg on this sort of run. On way home with less traffic I can get about 52mpg. That's driving about 70-75mph & not accelerating too hard!

My 'Trip 2' reading on the MFD is showing 49.2mpg after approx 1,200miles which obviously includes all types of journey inc motorway/town etc.

My engine definitely got more frugal as the miles built up & from about 25k onwards has probably been at its best. The Superchips map also helped the mpg as long as you don't boot it all the time.

As most have already said, the biggest impact on mpg is always the driver. When travelling plan ahead for what the traffic is doing ie if you see brake lights ahead on a motorway, come off the throttle & then use the gears to slow down.

All the best.

These are great numbers you get there.
My daily commute is quite identical to yours and I cannot manage more then 40 MPG.

Could it be that just the remap gave you 10 more miles?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members