Fault with FR 1.9 TDI 150PD

George 3G

KW & Weitec
Jul 28, 2009
Herefordshire
Hi all,

My sister has a problem with her Leon FR 1.9 TDI 150PD. She was recently overtaking a car when she lost the majority of power, the car started producing black smoke and she reported a "whooshing" noise.

I scanned the car today with VAGCOM which came back with 0 errors. I then test drove the car and experienced the same symptoms whilst under boost, and then afterwards whilst just cruising at 10-20mph the car would stutter quite violently.

I then logged the car, but due to the way the car was driving I could only take it around the block and log WOT once or twice in 2nd gear:

logs_zps33ee9cae.png

I'd appreciate any pointers to what it could be please!

Last edited:

FR dagley

Jul 21, 2009
Mansfield
I had a very similar problem with my old seat Ibiza FR 130PD check the turbo intercooler hoses they wear with age it may not have come out completely but loosing boost pressure.

The hose that goes into the top of the intercooler can come loose just hope that it isn't the bottom one that is £70 (you would need to remove the undertray to access the bottom hose).

Hope this solves your problem.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Actual boost is not hitting requested... The black smoke will probably be due to the engine running too rich as there is not enough air available.

Start by checking your boost hoses, if one has popped off its a cheap fix :)

FR dagley

Jul 21, 2009
Mansfield
I will be honest the log looks like the screen from the matrix all numbers and letters to me. But as described it sounds to me like a turbo hose problem not enough boost (black smoke). My old Ibiza FR boost pipe came off on the A1 once and basically plunged the north back to the industrial revolution with the amount of black smoke. I bodged it and did 100 miles until I got home and used it for 2 days before getting the new pipe lol. I don't recommend you use it though I had to :p

Last edited:

KarlB1

Nov 15, 2012
Aylesbury
Yeah most likely the intercooler hoses, mine wasn't meeting requested boost because i had a damaged bayonet on the end of the pipe on the drivers side where it meets the itnercooler, new hose sorted it bt mine kept underboosting, now my turbo sounds like an elephant with it's nuts caught in a vice, so if your turbo is making a 'siren' style noise i'd get it checked soonish as mine went from that to the elephant noise in less than 3 miles...but some people go on for months like it.

One other thing could be the vanes on the trbo are sticking so not opening and closing properly, this would cause the same symptoms and can temporarily be fixed with something like Innotec turbo cleaner treatment or the 'Mr Muscle' method, but ideally you'd want it overhauled.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Had someone bring a pd150 over to mine the other day, all the joints in the pipework looked fine, seems as the the core itself had split
According to my mate at audi this is not uncommon for the actual intercooler to fail and leak

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise