Advice Wanted - Kwik Fit Related - Oil Leak Following Service..

Aug 1, 2011
Get an aerosol can of brake cleaner to clean up the area.. Will do a better job than wd40.

The 'staining' of the oil looks higher up than the sensors anyway. More like the filter has been over tightened and split the o ring on the plastic carp for th oil filter.

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
I looked for any tool marks but couldn't see anything obvious. I think the sensors they might have been referring to were the oil feed lines which are the two lines with hex nuts on going in at the lower right hand side.

When I first returned the car to them the mechanic told me that the O ring at the top of the oil filter housing had gone and that was the cause of the leak and he had replaced this free of charge so that no more oil would leak. That's when it got even worse. It's not horrendous, but enough to make a fresh patch if the car has been parked for over an hour.

I've cleaned it up anyway, and I'll check it out tomorrow evening when my gf returns home from work.

I do appreciate you all taking the time to write comments in return by the way, thank you.

Earthling

Beetle Mechanic
Feb 3, 2013
Mountain hideaway, SE Spain
I'm not 100% sure about Seat, but a new O ring seal is included in the replacement filter kit for Opel diesels.

Out of interest, do you know if the filter cap was replaced, in the photo it looks new?

Last edited:

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
I'm not sure to be honest, I don't think they replaced it. Perhaps because the filter cap is made of plastic and is black it doesn't look dirty or they cleaned it up.

The mechanic did say to me that he was cleaning all the oil up so he could try to find the leak but I can't see any evidence of cleaning from looking under the bonnet. He must have meant underneath.

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
Looks like its been coming from the filter housing did they fit the new o ring ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Earthling

Beetle Mechanic
Feb 3, 2013

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
You always put a new O ring on the oil filter houseing the plastic. If it were myself I would go along with the parts ie a new filter and show them that they have failed to do the job properly and that you want your money back as you are going to re-do the job.

If they cant change an o-ring they probably didnt change the sumpbolt either.

Harris.

Apr 5, 2010
Essex Bruv
That is a classic case of the seal either failing or being pinched when refitting, or they have over tightened the lid. filters only need to be tightened to 25 nm. it even says that on the housing lid! All genuine vag filters come complete with new seals too.
This is incompetence on whoever fitted its part and shows that they don't quality check their work before the car returns to the customer, and blaming it on the sensors in the housing is just a big fob off. Hope you get it sorted soon

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
When you fit the o ring just smear with oil or grease so when its re fitted it doesn't pinch the new o ring and make sure its fitted in the correct recess then visit the monkey at kwik fit with the spanner you used lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
In case anybody was interested I've finally had time to get the car up on some axle stands.

I cleaned all the bottom of the car as it was caked in oil, I then ran the engine for about 10 mins and went for a look and the oil is leaking from the gasket between the engine casing and the oil sump. As far as I can tell anyway.

I can't seen any oil coming from the places that Kwik Fit told me it was coming from (I.e the oil filter housing).

I have also checked the oil level on the dip stick (making sure the car was on level ground and had been resting for over an hour without the engine being turned on) and it is about 4mm above the maximum oil level. This is after a few weeks of it leaking as well so it must have been even higher when it left Kwik Fit. Could this cause a build up of pressure in the crank case maybe? This could perhaps burst through the gasket possibly?

Before cleaning:
IMAG1574_zpse74557a0.jpg

After cleaning it all and running the engine for ten mins:
IMAG1582_zps55a1221a.jpg

I also did a little video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1ZlydAtUA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

not sure if this will work as a link as only just uploaded it.. If you can see the vid though you'll see that there is no oil leaking from the oil filter housing and that it's all coming from the gasket.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take this to a local garage that has been recommended by my friend and ask them to replace the gasket.

Last edited:

Earthling

Beetle Mechanic
Feb 3, 2013
I have also checked the oil level on the dip stick (making sure the car was on level ground and had been resting for over an hour without the engine being turned on) and it is about 4mm above the maximum oil level. This is after a few weeks of it leaking as well so it must have been even higher when it left Kwik Fit. Could this cause a build up of pressure in the crank case maybe? This could perhaps burst through the gasket possibly?
No, that's not possible, crankcases are vented.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take this to a local garage that has been recommended by my friend and ask them to replace the gasket.
Have you checked that the sump bolts are tight?

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
I have never heard anything good about Kwik Fit. Ever.

A friend of mine 'tested' our local Kwik Fit a few years back and put brand new pads on his car, and also had 4 identical tyres all round. He took the car to Kwik Fit to get them to change the pads 'as they are worn' and acted like he knew nothing about cars.
When he picked the car up they had replaced the new pads with old, worn down ones and they had also changed one of his front tyres to a very low tread and a completely different make.

Needless to say he pretty much ripped them a new one.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have never heard anything good about Kwik Fit. Ever.

A friend of mine 'tested' our local Kwik Fit a few years back and put brand new pads on his car, and also had 4 identical tyres all round. He took the car to Kwik Fit to get them to change the pads 'as they are worn' and acted like he knew nothing about cars.
When he picked the car up they had replaced the new pads with old, worn down ones and they had also changed one of his front tyres to a very low tread and a completely different make.

Needless to say he pretty much ripped them a new one.

I'm not paid by KwikFit or anything, but that tale if its true means that that branch of KwikFit have a bandit working in it and needs reported to somewhere. I don't tend to use places like KwikFit as I do my own servicing and tyre sourcing and try to support independent tyre places, but, I did once take my daughter's late 6K Ibiza in to get tracking checked due to crap tyres wearing unevenly (car just bought secondhand), went back an hour later to get told, "we did not check the toeing as after we gave it an initial once over we discovered that that car has a camber setting issue" - now that was KwikFit being truthful - pity I had not spotted that before giving them the car. Seat dealer did a four wheel alignment, this misalignment would have been due to the car being kerbed in its previous life - that model had the "camber" adjusting bolts on the hub/strut.

I tend to find that generally, people that get problems using KwikFit, are either tight when it comes to running their cars or have little or no mechanical knowledge, so expect that paying someone roughly £15 an hour is smarter than paying the £85+ an hour at a dealership. You know what they say "there are no free lunches" - and its not just happening in the car fixing trade.

Last edited:

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
He did report it as far as I was aware, it was a long time ago but I believe he did sort it out with them in the end.

I've never used Kwik Fit myself, purely because I've always had people able to help or taken it to other places to have work done. I can understand people going to cheaper garages these days as no one is made of money, and it is difficult at the moment with the lack of jobs etc and with so many people having to rely on their cars to get about.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.