225 tyres for 17" Cupra rims...?

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
I was wondering if anyone had tried fitting 225/40 or perhaps 225/35 tyres to their Cupra TDi rims? If so did any problems occur? If not was it a worthwhile upgrade?

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
Just stick to the 205/40's, they look big enough as it is ha

Always room for improvement...if increasing the tyre width is an improvement. Regardless of what they look like I'm interested to know if anyone's tried it out and found it to be a benefit?

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
I had 225/45/17 from the previous owner and they scrubbed like hell. Why would you want anything other than 205/40/17? A more comfortable ride? You'll end up with an inaccurate speedo..

Last edited:

mickyp1989

Dec 8, 2011
iv gone for 215/40/17s on the front of my FR which were 205/40/17 standard. im also lowered about 30mm on the front and i have no issues at all with them. definate improvement in grip. i went for the goodyear eagle f1s. dont look too different. bit wider on the side wall. check my build thead

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
I had 225/45/17 from the previous owner and they scrubbed like hell. Why would you want anything other than 205/40/17? A more comfortable ride? You'll end up with an inaccurate speedo..

The a more comfortable ride would be a bonus, but that's not the main reason. I wanted to give the car a wider foot print. I wouldn't be looking for 45 profile, 40 would suit. However I'm little dubious in proceeding with the mod if it is indeed detrimental to the car.

Do you think the tyres were scrubbing as of the increased width or height? Have you lowered the car, changed suspension etc?

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
iv gone for 215/40/17s on the front of my FR which were 205/40/17 standard. im also lowered about 30mm on the front and i have no issues at all with them. definate improvement in grip. i went for the goodyear eagle f1s. dont look too different. bit wider on the side wall. check my build thead

Thanks for your input, glad to hear the tyres didn't scrub. I think I may well have to take the route of 215 40 s over the 225 s. Are you using spacers on your wheels? You mentioned that grip has increased, do find there's less wheel spin on accelerating in lower gears?

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
I am on standard 1.2 suspension.

Use this tool to check out how much your speedo will be at different speeds. http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

To be fair, it'd only be a 2.72% difference in the speedo reading with 225 (eg: shows 70mph when doing 72mph) so it shouldn't matter too much, however I'd only go to 215 as the sidewall width does increase despite the profile (40) not changing..

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
I am on standard 1.2 suspension.

Use this tool to check out how much your speedo will be at different speeds. http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

To be fair, it'd only be a 2.72% difference in the speedo reading with 225 (eg: shows 70mph when doing 72mph) so it shouldn't matter too much, however I'd only go to 215 as the sidewall width does increase despite the profile (40) not changing..

It's the scrubbing I'm worried about mostly. Thanks for link anyway, appreciated :)

Are you using spacers on your wheels? I'm wondering if this could've been a contributing factor in causing the tyres to foul the arches?

mickyp1989

Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for your input, glad to hear the tyres didn't scrub. I think I may well have to take the route of 215 40 s over the 225 s. Are you using spacers on your wheels? You mentioned that grip has increased, do find there's less wheel spin on accelerating in lower gears?

i only went for wide tyres on the front coz they needed to be replaced. i also figured that coz the steering and power is put through the front wheels it makes sense to have slightly wider tyres. there is also a massive improvement in grip but my old tires were very cheap.

I have 15mm spacers on the rear as i figured the wheelbase would be similar to the front with the wider tires?