Seat Leon FR tdi turbo noise

Smithy1981fonze

Hi there,:confused:

I bought a 2010 seat Leon FR Tdi 170 cr in December last year so not had the car that long. Now the weather is picking up iv been driving around with my window open and I've noticed a funny noise coming from my turbo! It sounds like something is flickering in it, it's a constant noise wether I'm accelerating or coasting in gear. The noise does faster as i accelerate. The turbo whistles as it should but I'm concerned about this flickering sound. Does anybody know what this could be? If not i will take it to seat as still under warranty. Appreciate any info... Cheers guys*

Smithy1981fonze

What's a wasegate?? It's the first Tdi I've owned so not sure what is the right sound. It's got the nice whistle sound still just has this annoying flicker. It's as if there is a crunchy leaf in it which I know isn't possible but thats what it sounds like. Might just take it to my local deisel engine garage as Seat is a treck away. Cheers for you reply mate

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
I had the same noise on mine and it's normal

I asked the Seat garage when mine was in for service and apparently it's some sort of release valve on the Diesel Pump/Common Rail

They even let me take a brand new car out and it made the same sound

Smithy1981fonze

Took the car to a local engine tuning garage and they said sounds like an alternator noise, so taking it into Seat when get the chance.

cogdoc

My vote is your VNT vanes regulating boost, do a google search there are some good you tube videos on it. It's not your typical open/close wastegate.

fenman

Aug 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
I think this kind of a ticking noise is normal for all CR engines - heard it coming from Skoda Octavias, Audi A4/5/6 and anything else with our 2.0CR TDI engine. Something to do with fuel injection rail I think.

Smithy1981fonze

Going to a diesel engine garage later so see what they have to say about this noise. Will post outcome later. Cheers for the info guys

jkay

I know this is an old thread mate, but did you get this problem sorted? If so/not what did seat boil the noise down to?

Much appreciated

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Funnily enough, I was noticing a similar noise on mine this afternoon. Mine is definitely related to Engine RPM, as if you dip the clutch, it goes away. Sounds like a bike with a drinks straw pinging in the spokes!

jkay

It sounds to me like a leaf is caught, but its a more ticking sound :(.
Im going to seat next week as its still under warranty. I hope its nothing to serious!

Smithy1981fonze

Got a mechanic from Seat to listen to the noise i was concerned about and its fine. Its something to do with the fule pump on our type of engine. Glad its nothing to worry about!

figolovechild

Leon FR CR 170TDI
Sep 12, 2011
Glenrothes
I get this noise but I noticed I never get a turbo whistle. I used to own a Golf GT TDI 150 and the whistle on that was very noticeable. Does the CR engine lack the whistle with the turbo?

figolovechild

Leon FR CR 170TDI
Sep 12, 2011
Glenrothes
Well a 62 plate GTD passed me today whilst I was washing my car and the whistle from that was so loud it reminded me of my old MK4 GT TDI. I don't get why my Leon doesn't have this whistle considering it's the same engine??

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.