Brakes

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
ok so ive just foundout that the standard brakes are poop.

what can i get under the stock wheels.

LCR/MK4 Cupra R/312mm

i take it i can fit pretty much anything thats 5-100?

GMInsite

Apr 3, 2009
Im looking into this and do is quite a few other people. Full re conditioned 312mm setup with new disks and pads £270 on ebay

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Im looking into this and do is quite a few other people. Full re conditioned 312mm setup with new disks and pads £270 on ebay

i saw this but they come with shite pads/disks

id want to get some ferrodo ds2500s on some nicer disks!

anyone know the part number for ds2500s for the 312s?

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
nah not worth the investment, im going to be going for 220bhp/220ftls so a biger stup is required

The frictional surface area difference is negligible, so upgrading to 312s on the same (brand, age etc, obviously bigger) discs and pads will produce very little increased braking capacity.

What it will help with is heat dissipation, so if you're heavily braking often and suffering from brake fade then larger discs can help alleviate this problem.

However, the primary reason most people upgrade to 312mm brakes is for aesthetic purposes.

If you're purely after increased braking capacity I would advise against bigger brakes, if you're doing it to combat brake fade and for the looks then crack on!

Aug 3, 2011
I'd try new pads first, I'm amazed at the difference the red stuffs Have done For my cars brakes. They were given a trial by fire (almost literally) but they held up brilliantly with no fade.

Jay

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
The frictional surface area difference is negligible, so upgrading to 312s on the same (brand, age etc, obviously bigger) discs and pads will produce very little increased braking capacity.

What it will help with is heat dissipation, so if you're heavily braking often and suffering from brake fade then larger discs can help alleviate this problem.

However, the primary reason most people upgrade to 312mm brakes is for aesthetic purposes.

If you're purely after increased braking capacity I would advise against bigger brakes, if you're doing it to combat brake fade and for the looks then crack on!

brake fade.

looks like its 312s unless i can find some cheap APs or brembos :)

Mar 13, 2010
Grooved disks (not drilled) and decent pads will stop the fade so much if your after soemthing a little cheaper than a full 312mm set-up.

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
null-7.jpg

Mine: seat sport AP's, EBC ultimax rotors discs and ferodo ds2500 pads

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
All in the full upgrade (312 front 256 rear) cost me around £700. Fronts are definitely easier to do than the backs lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thats not even that bad!! rears really that hard? are they worth doing? whats the pedal feel like?

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
thats not even that bad!! rears really that hard? are they worth doing? whats the pedal feel like?

All calipers came to 250 second hand (bargain) had strip down the rears and replace the seals at £20 for parts, discs were around 300 ds2500 for the front were 130, racing blue brake fluid was £15 iirc and had to get different carriers for the rear (2nd hand ones were ruined due to poor fitment) at £30 so £700-750 not including a couple of tools I had to buy.

The rears weren't too bad, I only say that because of the problems I had with the carriers. The rear set up came from a TT Quattro and the carriers are a different shape so the previous owner had fitted them at an angle causing the disc to burn right through the carrier into the bolts lol. Ended up using ones from an octavia VRS

Edit: pedal feels a million times better! The car actually slows down at speed :O haha

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
All calipers came to 250 second hand (bargain) had strip down the rears and replace the seals at £20 for parts, discs were around 300 ds2500 for the front were 130, racing blue brake fluid was £15 iirc and had to get different carriers for the rear (2nd hand ones were ruined due to poor fitment) at £30 so £700-750 not including a couple of tools I had to buy.

The rears weren't too bad, I only say that because of the problems I had with the carriers. The rear set up came from a TT Quattro and the carriers are a different shape so the previous owner had fitted them at an angle causing the disc to burn right through the carrier into the bolts lol. Ended up using ones from an octavia VRS

Edit: pedal feels a million times better! The car actually slows down at speed :O haha

all i needed to hear.

let me save some dollars together adn this will be the first thing that happens to the boc. :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.