Lightweight interior.

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
Have I still got the only MK5 with different seats? It's been a few years since I fitted them. Factory seats were very heavy, side airbag issue can be solved with resistors, seat belt warning sound switched off on computer, mounting same as MK4 or make custom ones like I did. I think it could be done for £500 if you use 2nd hand/cheap parts.

GMInsite

Apr 3, 2009
I will be looking at fitting some bucket seats next month or so but struggling to find sone mounts. And location for harnesses.

Aug 3, 2011
My rear seats are out but that can be changed back in ten mins. not gone the whole hog. Dont think I will. I like having the functionality of 4/5 seats too. Im not as hardcore as you :)

Jay

LJA

Oct 8, 2010
Derbyshire
+1 If I had another daily, The Boc would be fully stripped out track slut... but not yet, It remains my daily

GMInsite

Apr 3, 2009
All my rear interior is out and my spare wheel bounces all of the place making a racket. Is there anyway i can secure this properly instead of the black screw in stay.

Need mounting positions for harnesses

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
I was looking at lightweights but want style too, so would be retrimming in red leather which would add some weight.

I reciently slipped a disk training for a powerlifting meet so I also need comfort and lower lumbar support, any ideas anyone?

Ben-ibizaFR

Sep 23, 2012
Preston
I was looking at lightweights but want style too, so would be retrimming in red leather which would add some weight.

I reciently slipped a disk training for a powerlifting meet so I also need comfort and lower lumbar support, any ideas anyone?

bloody hell ! Bet that hurt ! Lean back to a around 110ish recline degrees pal. Suppost to offer better lumbar support. I trapped a nerve last summer doing a dodgey heavy squat. The recline helped allot ! I fly too and the upwrite position was awful !

As for the interiour ! I realy like my seats !! Only thing missing is FR stitched into it.

Does removing the rear seats realy help that much ? And how so :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
rear seats heavy due to metal plates on back. some people are claiming much more power than I have but their 1/4 mile times are slower, only reason is my car weighs so much less.

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
youtube 'MK5 Ibiza - spring clean' OMP seats and 4 point harness, custom mounts and rear bar by Tenon Engineering, all factory belts removed, rear carpeted in lightweight black, rear trim lightened, sound deadening foam removed, rear speakers binned, lightweight spare wheel and alloy jack from 2002 Polo.

GMInsite

Apr 3, 2009
The custom mounts for the harnesses as i have started stripping mine and cant find anywhere to mount them.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
bloody hell ! Bet that hurt ! Lean back to a around 110ish recline degrees pal. Suppost to offer better lumbar support. I trapped a nerve last summer doing a dodgey heavy squat. The recline helped allot ! I fly too and the upwrite position was awful !

As for the interiour ! I realy like my seats !! Only thing missing is FR stitched into it.

Does removing the rear seats realy help that much ? And how so :)

Cheers for that, I will try, It might be about 110 already, have to have a look. Ive not trapped a nerve but where the jelly like substance from inside the disk has oozed out, its in contact with the S1 nerve so I have the dreaded sciatic nerve pain. dMine too was through squatting, did 3sets of 11 reps at 100kg so not even that heavy, was working towards 140kg for a couple of reps, racked the weight and collapsed.

I find the standard seats dont provide enough support low down unless you get right into them, I have a foam pad that I use which helps, if I get any seats re-upholstered, I will ask for a cutom padded part built in .

Cant believe your fr didnt have the logo stitched on???

Aug 3, 2011
I'll be honest, im not sure I could look at 100kg of weight without my arms falling off:scary:

Im unfortunately a skinny stick. Thats my excuse for keeping heavier front seats in. i dont weight much :D

Sorry for O/T

craig cupra

Drive it like u stole it!
Jul 13, 2010
essex
Have I still got the only MK5 with different seats? It's been a few years since I fitted them. Factory seats were very heavy, side airbag issue can be solved with resistors, seat belt warning sound switched off on computer, mounting same as MK4 or make custom ones like I did. I think it could be done for £500 if you use 2nd hand/cheap parts.

Forgive me for being a muppet but can you use mk4 ibiza mount subframes in our mk5 Cupra/ Boc's? Also could u put a pic up of where u connected your harness' to. Thanks

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
I'll be honest, im not sure I could look at 100kg of weight without my arms falling off:scary:

Im unfortunately a skinny stick. Thats my excuse for keeping heavier front seats in. i dont weight much :D

Sorry for O/T

I only weigh 72kg, powerlifting is about strength:body weight ratio. Need to be light so I can run, comes in handy on 1/4 mile drag races too.

Back to topic though, this is aimed at ibizaracebreak. On the fabias theres a 30kg weight hidden underneath the rear bumper. Wondering if you have looked into this as part of your weight saving.

Also do you know the weight of the std ones vs the lightweight seats you installed?

Ben-ibizaFR

Sep 23, 2012
Preston
Cheers for that, I will try, It might be about 110 already, have to have a look. Ive not trapped a nerve but where the jelly like substance from inside the disk has oozed out, its in contact with the S1 nerve so I have the dreaded sciatic nerve pain. dMine too was through squatting, did 3sets of 11 reps at 100kg so not even that heavy, was working towards 140kg for a couple of reps, racked the weight and collapsed.

I find the standard seats dont provide enough support low down unless you get right into them, I have a foam pad that I use which helps, if I get any seats re-upholstered, I will ask for a cutom padded part built in .

Cant believe your fr didnt have the logo stitched on???

Yer sure, you realy do have to get the position right to get that support. Can be a fiddle, wouldn't change them tho :)
Wow ! That sounds a tad painful ! The sciatic nerve pain is a right... Well pain, hate the leg aches you get with it, how long will it take to heal/mend ?

Yeap no FR logo :(

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
They say for a connecting tissue damage can be up to a year. Getting better slowly though. I'm sure you could get it stitched on by an upholstery company for 25 quid per seat

Aug 3, 2011
isnt the 30kg in the bumper to assist handling though?

Only for people that are scared of a bit of fun ;)

I've my rear end out so thats quite a bit out. Ive never had any scary moments, I was worried pushing hard would make the back step out on transitional turns like hall bends, but it was pretty neutral for me :)

Jay

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members