Fr or cupra tdi, which is the best buy?

tomrolinson

Hi everyone, I am looking at buying an ibiza diesel. I am not sure what would be the best buy between the fr and cupra? I do about 300 miles a week and need a diesel. What's the average miles you guys get to a tank? And how much does it cost to fill it. The extra power which the cupra has is a massive postive, but is there a bigger difference in how economical it is?

Cheers all.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Had my Cupra TDi a week so far, I do about 45-50 miles a day, 250-300 a week. Filled up last Monday then filled up yesterday and had used marginally over 22.5 litres, so at a push about 500-550 miles on a tank in the Cupra TDi if you drive sensibly, which admittedly, is hard. :rolleyes:

tomrolinson

That's really good, how much did it cost you to fill the tank? Considering the power that is brilliant! Thanks for getting back to me

Lowe

Jan 8, 2012
Newcastle Under Lyme
in my Cupra TDI I fill a tank and get 400 miles without fail doing about 75/25% Motorway/Town. Averages about 47-47mpg. Due to the gearing your most economical speed in a Cupra TDI is 60-65mph.

Andi

Back in Black
Mar 5, 2006
Inverness
My Cupra is mapped. I fill up once a fortnight, costs average £55 to fill. Makes 400 miles per tank full.

Last edited:

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
If you want power straight out the bag then go for the Cupra.It also has better brakes.

The FR is slower but can also shift quite well 30-70 mph and can be easly mapped to the same power if needed.

You save (depending on your age) a fair chunk of cash on the insurance as the FR is (was) group 8 and the Cupra 14.

Road tax is the same. I guess the FR may be slightly better on fuel but i doubt much as you may push it harder. They look pretty much the same.

;)

Fuel wise i get around 44 town and 60 on a run from my FR. My best run ever was 67 mpg.

Last edited:
May 21, 2009
On my fr tdi I've seen upto 80mpg if driven steady and have had 700 miles from a tank (that was steady driving on the motorway though) on average I see between 45-60 normal driving

As for fr vs cupra depends on what you want the insurance was a lot more on the cupra and I couldn't have ordered xenon headlights either so I chose the fr because as said with a map they will run more than a standard cupra and it was a lot cheaper to insure! When you consider a remap is upto 400 quid over a couple of years it still worked out cheaper than going the cupra route!

Oh and the fr can shift nicely too

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
On my fr tdi I've seen upto 80mpg if driven steady and have had 700 miles from a tank (that was steady driving on the motorway though) on average I see between 45-60 normal driving...

What speed were you driving at :-o

I've got a 2003 Sport which is basically the pre-facelift FR and it's great. I average 400-450 a week and I can easily breeze that on a tank and get about 46mpg. I would get more but a majority of the miles are town and twisty country roads.

I can get about 55 liters in the car from 0 miles on the OBC :whistle:

I've driven both the Cupra and FR and settled for the older model FR/Sport for mainly insurance reasons. Apart from the different brakes and the increased power from the start, I couldn't justify the extra £1000 difference between the FR and Cupra model.

May 21, 2009
50-55mph on cruise mate, was when I went to trax at silverstone was a lovely steady drive

Also I couldn't justify paying more on the insurance just for brakes and wheels

I bought them seperately (brakes cost me 200 and wheels were 400) and got to be honest they weren't worth the extra cash so sold them on and returned to fr brakes and wheels.

The cupra wheels are so easy to curb and the brakes are common for seizing when replacing pads which means a refurb! Plus they quickly go pink so I was happy to sack them off

Apr 12, 2010
I get 40 ish on my commute. If I set pace and don't arse about I've seen 60+ on a run from Leeds to Weymouth. Both calculated not off the dash.

Jonbmx900

Jan 5, 2013
I have the cupra tdi insurance isn't an issue for me got a traders policy as soon as I brought it I had it revo'd and think its just awesome power and torque wise also put it on ap coilovers as the stock suspension was to harsh

I had a mk5 golf gt tdi before this that was mapped to 180 bhp and was nothing on this so if you can get cupra all day long if you can afford the extra insurance you won't regret it

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
I have the cupra tdi insurance isn't an issue for me got a traders policy as soon as I brought it I had it revo'd and think its just awesome power and torque wise also put it on ap coilovers as the stock suspension was to harsh

I had a mk5 golf gt tdi before this that was mapped to 180 bhp and was nothing on this so if you can get cupra all day long if you can afford the extra insurance you won't regret it

The insurance won't be an issue as soon as you are 26+. I am 27, 28 In June and insurance on my Cupra tdi is around 450 a year with 8 years no claims. Having never driven the fr it's hard to compare, but all I can say is that the Cupra is amazing!

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Ill list some good points for both hope it helps u decide

Good points fr

Cheeper to buy
Cheeper to insure
About 3/4 mpg better
Slightly better ride softer bushes etc
The fr pulls well and a simple remap will inprove the power level of the fr to Cupra but even mapped to 165/170 bhp the Cupra will still out pull the fr due to gear ratios in the Cupra standerd

Good points of Cupra

Diffrent larger front bumper
Front mount intercooler standerd
Faster than the fr and wheel spin matic when mapped lol
Better front brakes ap 4 pot calipers with 312mm discs
Alloy wish bones and uprated bushes.

The diffrance in appearances they both have

Cupra or fr badges on seats etc
Diffrent alloys both 17s
Cupra has a diffrent front bumper
Cupra has oval exhaust tip fr has twin tip
Fr has silver mirror caps Cupra had black

That's all I can think of in my opinion I'd got for the Cupra over an fr just becasue to get the fr to a Cupra level it would cost u more than what the price diffrance is now

Last edited:
Ill list some good points for both hope it helps u decide

Good points fr

Cheeper to buy
Cheeper to insure
About 3/4 mpg better
Slightly better ride softer bushes etc
The fr pulls well and a simple remap will inprove the power level of the fr to Cupra but even mapped to 165/170 bhp the Cupra will still out pull the fr due to gear ratios in the Cupra standerd

Good points of Cupra

Diffrent larger front bumper
Front mount intercooler standerd
Faster than the fr and wheel spin matic when mapped lol
Better front brakes ap 4 pot calipers with 312mm discs
Alloy wish bones and uprated bushes.

The diffrance in appearances they both have

Cupra or fr badges on seats etc
Diffrent alloys both 17s
Cupra has a diffrent front bumper
Cupra has oval exhaust tip fr has twin tip
Fr has silver mirror caps Cupra had black

That's all I can think of in my opinion I'd got for the Cupra over an fr just becasue to get the fr to a Cupra level it would cost u more than what the price diffrance is now

cupra has black headlineing too.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.