Alternative to coilovers

BoostHard

Complete Plonker
Nov 25, 2012
At Work.......
www.Passionford.com
I want to fit new suspension to my LCR, I am not interested in
coilovers at all. I don't want to lower the car as far as it will go and ruin the handling.

I purely want to stiffen things up a bit and maintain a moderate drop, say 20mm.

The car is used daily and I have kids in the car so want a comfortable ride.
After performance over the 'how low can I go' approach.

The car will be doing 3-4 track days a year.

Can anyone recommend a decent kit that they have used?

Budget is £500, give or take a bit.

Last edited:

lcrsammy

May 4, 2011
berks
your probably goin to get a hail of 'use the search button'

but head over to the dpm page in the trading area, damian will sort you out.

sammy

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BoostHard

Complete Plonker
Nov 25, 2012
At Work.......
www.Passionford.com
Cheers, Ive just been using the search function, Granted I probably should have done that before posting
this.
I have just found a thread asking why people want coilovers instead of spring and damper, Good thread
but not much in terms of kits to go for.

I will continue with the search function and check out the DPM page,

Cheers

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Fixed suspension kits will out perform 90% of coilover kits as not many people ever set their coilovers up properly!

Plus on fixed kits the damper matches the spring rate unlike on coilovers (unless you buy some fancy damping adj ones)

I used AP shocks and springs once and was quite impressed, the choice is pretty much endless!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I've just fitted the Weitec 40/40mm spring and shock kit a few weeks ago. That gives a 20mm drop at each end as the 40mm is quoted based on standard Leon height and the Cupra R is 20mm lower already. It's a small, subtle drop, looks a lot better just for 20mm and the handling feels a bit better and a good bit less crashy and harsh. Bizarrely I find I scrape on speedbumps a lot less than before too. I got mine from DPM.

Sounds like your requirements were about the same as mine (no kids for me, not yet anyway) so I'd suggest that's a good option for you. Change all your topmounts and bearings while you're at it and remember to allow a few weeks for it all to settle down to it's final ride height.

BoostHard

Complete Plonker
Nov 25, 2012
At Work.......
www.Passionford.com
I've just fitted the Weitec 40/40mm spring and shock kit a few weeks ago. That gives a 20mm drop at each end as the 40mm is quoted based on standard Leon height and the Cupra R is 20mm lower already. It's a small, subtle drop, looks a lot better just for 20mm and the handling feels a bit better and a good bit less crashy and harsh. Bizarrely I find I scrape on speedbumps a lot less than before too. I got mine from DPM.

Sounds like your requirements were about the same as mine (no kids for me, not yet anyway) so I'd suggest that's a good option for you. Change all your topmounts and bearings while you're at it and remember to allow a few weeks for it all to settle down to it's final ride height.

Cheers 8bit, My LCR was lowered on springs and standard shocks and crashes about terribly,
Sounds like the above will be the best option.

beastgtir

Dec 26, 2012
mine was on koni suspension, lovely ride.
the shocks were a goldish sort of colour.

couldnt find receipts for them so cant tell the exact spec,
i would say it was a 20mm drop no more!

was perfectly driveable over ramps.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
mine was on koni suspension, lovely ride.
the shocks were a goldish sort of colour.

couldnt find receipts for them so cant tell the exact spec,
i would say it was a 20mm drop no more!

was perfectly driveable over ramps.

Gold Konis are the FSD ones, a bit pricey for what the OP needs ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.