Cupra tdi front spring just snapped!!

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
My NSF spring has just snapped are new springs only available from seat or are patten ones available? Any idea how much seat charge for them?
Any other parts worth replacing while I have the strut off?

.Si.

Feb 14, 2012
sunny essex
try tps,or gsf..they will be able to sort you out a spring
and maybe while its off replace the top mount and bearing.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
My NSF spring has just snapped are new springs only available from seat or are patten ones available? Any idea how much seat charge for them?
Any other parts worth replacing while I have the strut off?

Drop link and top mount probably worth replacing. The nut on my drop link sheared off with corrosion when I took mine off.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Had this issue with both front springs on my old sx, first one snapped on holiday in Cornwall, destroyed the strut bearing and drop link too, 2nd time happened pulling off from work car park and that was just a spring and drop link. Don't think the drop link was damaged it just broke when they had to remove it as it was seized up.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My way of fixing this is to buy everything except the new springs from VAG, the silly people in Skoda land that make these springs seem to use "not too good" material, so maybe buy springs from GSF - Lemsforder(sp?) only make springs, so they will only use proper material and heat treat it properly. This caustic way of thinking comes from paying VW prices for a pair for a Polo 9N, and discovering that the packaging said "manufactured in CZ". Actually, maybe that contributes to why the droplinks rot as well as the TREs! Taking these bits of these cars can end up being a lot trickier than it should be due to the use of "rotten" materials.

Last edited:

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
You should change both springs at the same time really and might aswel change top mounts and bearings while its all apart.
If you not changed a spring before allow extra time as it can be a pain in the ass!!

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I couldn't find anyone that did the cupra springs so I ordered one from seat £53+vat which isn't too bad only problem is they are back order so it will take a week to arrive!! I will replace top mount and bearing plus drop link while it's off. I know I should do both sides but will just one the one for now. I've done springs before on mondeos and my old e36 m3 and a few others so hopefully it won't be much different?

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I suppose you have seen this guide. At least yours is the easier side to do.

Both mine snapped a few weeks ago. I don't have a garage and needed too many tools (spring compressors etc.) so I paid my local MOT place to fix it for me.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I suppose you have seen this guide. At least yours is the easier side to do.

Both mine snapped a few weeks ago. I don't have a garage and needed too many tools (spring compressors etc.) so I paid my local MOT place to fix it for me.

That looks a helpful guide.
I can't work out why the drives side is harder to do? Both sides have drive shafts but I glad it's the easier side though.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise