LCR door lock problem, but not the normal one

paradigm

I hate the orange game!
The passenger door on my 2004 (53 plate) LCR is playing silly beggars. I've done all the reading up on the MK4 golf platform door locks, how they work and how they are integrated into the "control module" in the window regulator motor. I've searched the (and other) forums for my symptoms but they don't appear in the results (or at least I can't find them throughout the plethora of other threads that contain "door" and "lock" and/or "problem".

So, in a nutshell, currently the lock "sounds" like it's working, and when it actuates I can feel it makes a difference to how far I can pull the internal handle cable, I can also feel the vibration through the door skin to know that the motor in the passenger door lock is definitely moving. The door however doesn't unlock, no amount of unlocking and locking makes the door unlock, you pull the handles (interior or exterior) and the door is most definitely locked.

A bit of background. The door lock certainly wasn't working (motor not actuating at all) a month or so ago (and had been playing up for months), it finally died a complete death and wouldn't make a peep regardless of how many times I pressed the fob (or the internal lock/unlock buttons), or regardless of how hard I hit the door (I actually hit it that hard that a piece of the sound deadening broke off). I had to dremel the door card off (I have a replacement waiting to go back on) to gain access to the window regulator panel, and managed to squeeze that off too (with the door still closed).

I tried and tried to manually open the door by spinning the cog on the motor manually (screwdriver), but in the end I had to give in, and managed to "persuade" the door lock out of the door (well, the electronic portion of it at least), which gave me access to the latch which I actuated with a screwdriver and finally got the door open!

I then sourced a working replacement lock (which I tested outside of the door many many times before fitting it into the door), fitted it, and am now stuck with a door that won't open again [:@] Just in case it was a bad signal from the door control module, I replaced the window regulator motor with a working spare, which did nothing to change the situation, so I'm back on the original now.

So, as far as I can tell, I now have a working door lock (electrically at least), but it doesn't appear to be taking the deadlock off, I think.

Please help me before I nuke the car from orbit, I'm on my last straw with this LCR, and if it doesn't play nice soon I'm going to scrap it and only drive my A6 from now on.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Weird one.
I'd suggest (if you have the radio code) remove the battery terminals and touch them together this discharges the system and puts it back to "new"

cra19n

C14 RGG
May 8, 2010
glasgow
Hi. Did you ever get a solution to this as my rear o.s. door is doing the same. Is their some sort of safety release to open the door?
I've not to Long ago replaced my driver door lock due to the usual problem.
This is just extra annoying as their is no way to change the lock without getting door open.