Does anyone know this cars previous owner-SD59

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Renaults go round corners well and reward the driver. However you would never really see that unless you were really pushing it on a track. In a straight line, especially with a remap on both cars, the Leon is going to be faster.

Lets be honest and admit the Leon isn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability or build quality either and the dealer/manufacturer support is questionable at best.

For me both the Megane and Leon both lack something - all wheel drive.

Robban

Oct 15, 2011
Växjö, Sweden
Honestly of course price has a serious impact.
The Cupra is in that way bargain.
I bought my brand new in December for less than 20k, however was a stock car produced in 2011.
I would go for the BMW M135i, which is sick and affordable...the scirocco R and S3 is set totally wrong in price.
BR
Robert

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
If they are the worst cars ever built why did you keep buying them........ you say you have had many.

I keep buying seats, they're definitely not the worst but they certainly aren't the best either...no doubt I'll look back a few years down the line when I'm in something "better" and think seats are the worst car in the world compared to what I'll be driving then, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy owning them or having a bit of brand loyalty at the time :)

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
What's everyones problem?
My car, my money, my choice.
The megane rs has proven time and time again its the fastest all round fwd car ever produced and even though the design is now 4 years old essentially, no one can beat it to this day. Fact.
All cars have their problems , trying to say a car manufacturer shouldn't be in business based on one persons experiences is absolutely delusional.
Oh and I don't understand where you get that from Al, it has a better power to weight ratio than a Cupra R, new Astra VXR, new ST and infact every other hot hatch apart from the Focus RS. Stage 1 remap to 310-320hp and Cupra R to 300hp aswell. Its only when you get to stage 2/+ when the cupra will see more gains. Turbo is only good for 340 on the RS.
I don't know why there is a slanging match, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, Just because I have swapped my car doesn't mean i'm not allowed to contribute on the forum. I loved my FR and Leons in general but the two cars are aimed to two completely different types of people and are both fabulous at what they are designed to do and lets leave it at that. Please go and test drive one and you will see what i'm on about.

Last edited:

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
What's everyones problem?
My car, my money, my choice.
The megane rs has proven time and time again its the fastest all round fwd car ever produced and even though the design is now 4 years old essentially, no one can beat it to this day. Fact.
All cars have their problems , trying to say a car manufacturer shouldn't be in business based on one persons experiences is absolutely delusional.
Oh and I don't understand where you get that from Al, it has a better power to weight ratio than a Cupra R, new Astra VXR, new ST and infact every other hot hatch apart from the Focus RS. Stage 1 remap to 310-320hp and Cupra R to 300hp aswell. Its only when you get to stage 2/+ when the cupra will see more gains. Turbo is only good for 340 on the RS.
I don't know why there is a slanging match, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, Just because I have swapped my car doesn't mean i'm not allowed to contribute on the forum. I loved my FR and Leons in general but the two cars are aimed to two completely different types of people and are both fabulous at what they are designed to do and lets leave it at that. Please go and test drive one and you will see what i'm on about.

Granted they are very capable on a track but in a straight line drag as standard they can't beat the new focus st with the meg in 265 guys.... Let alone the vxr. Plus "many" people who have experience with French cars will more than likely agree the reliability is poor in general. I had a megane and it was absolutely sh*t. Continuously breaking down however I am sure the newer ones are better. Plus a 2.0 tfsi ko4 LCr will see 320+ bhp I'm yet to see a new meg make more than 305 on the many dyno days I've held at extreme

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Granted they are very capable on a track but in a straight line drag as standard they can't beat the new focus st with the meg in 265 guys.... Let alone the vxr. Plus "many" people who have experience with French cars will more than likely agree the reliability is poor in general. I had a megane and it was absolutely sh*t. Continuously breaking down however I am sure the newer ones are better. Plus a 2.0 tfsi ko4 LCr will see 320+ bhp I'm yet to see a new meg make more than 305 on the many dyno days I've held at extreme

Lol I take it your referring to the well know "motoring show" topgear who depict things incorrectly to make the show more funny/entertaining. You should take everything on there with a big pinch of salt. If you look at the real results of a fair drag race then you get the true picture. On jeremys onboard shot you see his 0-62 time was 7.5 seconds ( some 1.5 seconds slower than it should be) on the renaultsport monitor, so the result was fixed for the purpose of his piece. Renault were actually livid with it apparantly. The ST won by a mile from two cars that have better power to weight and LSD etc... work that out. Granted once tuned then its a different story because the megane utilises a smaller more effiecnt turbo to keep boost better and keep lag to the minimum.
Just a few:
I haven't found one yet where any of the other fwd cars win apart from on topgears **** fixing scandal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izCoSemS_qo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5eqVgcBdPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kzqDE69Cas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-iYYFBnIM4

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Lol I take it your referring to the well know "motoring show" topgear who depict things incorrectly to make the show more funny/entertaining. You should take everything on there with a big pinch of salt. If you look at the real results of a fair drag race then you get the true picture. On jeremys onboard shot you see his 0-62 time was 7.5 seconds ( some 1.5 seconds slower than it should be) on the renaultsport monitor, so the result was fixed for the purpose of his piece. Renault were actually livid with it apparantly. The ST won by a mile from two cars that have better power to weight and LSD etc... work that out. Granted once tuned then its a different story because the megane utilises a smaller more effiecnt turbo to keep boost better and keep lag to the minimum.
Just a few:
I haven't found one yet where any of the other fwd cars win apart from on topgears **** fixing scandal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izCoSemS_qo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5eqVgcBdPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kzqDE69Cas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-iYYFBnIM4

So, the Megane is a snifter quicker over a quater mile but the Astra is a lot quicker on a track because the front end is better. You bought the wrong car then?

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
So, the Megane is a snifter quicker over a quater mile but the Astra is a lot quicker on a track because the front end is better. You bought the wrong car then?

:lol: what on earth are you going on about? I suggest next time you make a comment like that, you atually look up the stats, because you have made yourself look silly :) It must be why the rs goes around the nurburgring 18 seconds faster than the VXR then? Faster around anglesey, hockenhiem, rockingham, bedford, magny cours... in fact i can't think of a track where the vxr is faster or any front wheel drive car for that matter. What's with the hate anyway, the Leon isn't the be all and end all of cars, my bad for suggesting otherwise... :)

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Fixed that for you ;)

Na you never! I learned to drive in a Sierra and all my cars since then have been front drive the the exception of a Scooby. Rear drive with big power is as much of a hindrance as front drive with big power in the wet which is more than half the year if 2012 is indicative of future wearer patterns!

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
Love the debate guys

Facts and figures are great, but if you've got beef I suggest a wager,on track of course. Put your money where your mouths are or keyboards in this case, after all a car is only as capable as its driver

Jet my 2pc so let's not get ours knickers in a twist over my suggestion

Peace out lol!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Oh and I don't understand where you get that from Al, it has a better power to weight ratio than a Cupra R, new Astra VXR, new ST and infact every other hot hatch apart from the Focus RS. Stage 1 remap to 310-320hp and Cupra R to 300hp aswell. Its only when you get to stage 2/+ when the cupra will see more gains.

Which makes the Leon faster ;)

Being honest I like the Renault and if anything was sticking up for you chum. Fact is though that in a straight line at least once maps have been done, the Renault will trail. As G said above the Renaults don't make the figures once fettled and the engines don't last as well when fettled either. Not trying to score any browny points one way or another - statin what I have seen. Will look at your YouTube clips when I get home :)

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Love the debate guys

Facts and figures are great, but if you've got beef I suggest a wager,on track of course. Put your money where your mouths are or keyboards in this case, after all a car is only as capable as its driver

Jet my 2pc so let's not get ours knickers in a twist over my suggestion

Peace out lol!

I'd be glad to go on track although more for banter than to prove anything. The Focus RS lads all got a scare when I showed up at their day and the only one that I struggled with had over 600bhp. Ask WeeG if you don't believe me :)

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Which makes the Leon faster ;)

Being honest I like the Renault and if anything was sticking up for you chum. Fact is though that in a straight line at least once maps have been done, the Renault will trail. As G said above the Renaults don't make the figures once fettled and the engines don't last as well when fettled either. Not trying to score any browny points one way or another - statin what I have seen. Will look at your YouTube clips when I get home :)

I wasn't having a go just last time I checked I thought they only went to 300. I was at RS tuning last week in leeds and the 2 cars that were there, one 250 and a 265 got 322 and 313 stage one, but i suppose it's all down to the dyno etc. Anyway I wasn't on about tuned cars because that changes the game massively, the whole argument is coming from a couple people making some outrageous claims. I suppose I will just have to wait for it to fall to bits and for a vxr to come flying past me and then maybe I will come back to the seat brand for the new leon cupra and start again.. :p

aaronb84

Feb 25, 2013
Brighton
Drove the RS265 at Bedford on an RS trackday and it is fantastic. Handling grip and sound are fantastic. But my own experience of Renault is of poor build quality and reliability issues. My megane (not RS) had 2 replacement window regulators by the age of 4 and an endless list of other faults along with poor built quality with rattles etc. May sound ridiculous but my 08 Leon feels a much more complete car. Not a knock at anyone's personal purchasing preference just my own experience and feelings of other owners when attending national meet and trackdays.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e

Apr 15, 2009
Wolverhampton
Drove the RS265 at Bedford on an RS trackday and it is fantastic. Handling grip and sound are fantastic. But my own experience of Renault is of poor build quality and reliability issues. My megane (not RS) had 2 replacement window regulators by the age of 4 and an endless list of other faults along with poor built quality with rattles etc. May sound ridiculous but my 08 Leon feels a much more complete car. Not a knock at anyone's personal purchasing preference just my own experience and feelings of other owners when attending national meet and trackdays.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e
The problems with the Meganes is wide spread, I moved to Seat purely for build quality. The quality compared to the Megane is second to none, I have not had one single issue. Granted the Megane is a fantastic drive but thats it. I never understood why people slated Renault so much but now I have owned one I can see there theory behind it all. Its a stigma it will never get rid of regardless of what they do to there cars.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The 135 in that clip above is a bit rapid :). Don't they cost just a bit over the VXR too?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
:lol: what on earth are you going on about? I suggest next time you make a comment like that, you atually look up the stats, because you have made yourself look silly :) It must be why the rs goes around the nurburgring 18 seconds faster than the VXR then? Faster around anglesey, hockenhiem, rockingham, bedford, magny cours... in fact i can't think of a track where the vxr is faster or any front wheel drive car for that matter. What's with the hate anyway, the Leon isn't the be all and end all of cars, my bad for suggesting otherwise... :)

I commented because of this video that you posted you **** splash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5eqVgcBdPg

You posted 3 videos where the Megane was quicker in a straight line and one where the Astra was quicker around some track I've never heard of.

Wind your neck in eh?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members