Steaming up!

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Thanks Crispdust, it seems easy, even for me! I will let you know how I get on:D

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Hi Crispdust. I removed the Scuttle . Not much rubbish there at all really and all drain holes were clear. I replaced it all after a good hoovering and then cleaned the interior of the windscreen.:)
This evening I drove away without the blowers on and guess what? It started to steam up again. Back to square one.:cry:
Still at least I know the Scuttle isn't the problem! I don't suppose anyone has any more ideas? Thanks:)

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
I have had a fair few problems with my Altea steaming up and the Leon before it as it happens. I've found that although the air con clears the screen, it's as if the water condenses elsewhere in the air con system and is held there until you next run the blowers (without air con).
So I try and run the air con as little as possible, and if I have I will try and dry the system out by running the blowers at full heat and full fan for a couple of minutes when the car's warm.

This minimises the problem for me.

Jon

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
I had a similar problem some 3 years ago and it turned to be that the recirculation flap was stuck in the recirculation position i.e. not letting fresh air into the car.
The problem was fixed by my dealer under warranty so I cannot say exactly where the problem lay.
Hope this may help
John

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
I have had a fair few problems with my Altea steaming up and the Leon before it as it happens. I've found that although the air con clears the screen, it's as if the water condenses elsewhere in the air con system and is held there until you next run the blowers (without air con).
So I try and run the air con as little as possible, and if I have I will try and dry the system out by running the blowers at full heat and full fan for a couple of minutes when the car's warm.

This minimises the problem for me.

Jon
Hi Jon...do you run the heaters before you shut the car down.switch off? Thanks:)

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
I had a similar problem some 3 years ago and it turned to be that the recirculation flap was stuck in the recirculation position i.e. not letting fresh air into the car.
The problem was fixed by my dealer under warranty so I cannot say exactly where the problem lay.
Hope this may help
John

Somebody else mentioned this earlier, I THINK that the recirc button is OK but I will have this checked by the garage if I continue to have problems with it.:)

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
I very rarely run the aircon. If it has been on, then in the following days I find that the screen will mist up. Running the heaters on full fixes it. I don't have a more prescriptive way of doing things.
Try as you say running the heaters without aircon for the last 5 minutes of your journeys and see what effect it has.

Good luck,

Jon

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
press the econ button and middle of the top 3 buttons at same time - screen should reset and fill with all characters. it cycles thru all the flap movements so might reset a dicky recirc flap?

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Crispdust. Today I tried to listen to see if I could hear the re-circ flap cutting in, but I couldn't. I reset the climate control as you suggested and it now seems to work.

I will let you know how the 'steaming up' goes. Thanks for all your help.:D

Dandle

Dec 17, 2007
Ashford
Did you ever get to the bottom of the steaming up. My wifes Altea stems up when its damp out side and I am looking for pointers.

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
I've had three or four strategically placed 10g silica gel bags in the cabin and had no steaming over winter.
Helps in the interim.

Dandle

Dec 17, 2007
Ashford
I thought of doing that but it doesnt stop the fact there must be damp somewhere. I tried on recirc the other day to see if that would dry out the air inside but it made it ten times worse. Guess I will have to start looking for a leak somewhere.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
I thought of doing that but it doesnt stop the fact there must be damp somewhere. I tried on recirc the other day to see if that would dry out the air inside but it made it ten times worse. Guess I will have to start looking for a leak somewhere.

Recirc won't dry the air out, you need the aircon on for that ;)

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Still got problems with steaming up! I will get some more silica gel pads and see if they help!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.