Good Rubber?

andycupra

status subject to change
i looked at vreds but i cant see any in the 225/40 i think i would need.

online there are a few Goodyear f1s with a slightly different name

i know the bottom ones are rated diffrently but the top 2 are the same as far as i can see
tyres_zpsc4d76ee3.jpg

the code in blue is different and they give very different results for fuel economy..
like you im wondering what the difference is!

oh and grippy.co.uk have these fitted for £117.99 (may vary for area)
camskill (delivery only) are £102 (XL) and you get £10 in fuel vouchers for each pair ordered (at time of writting)

Falken ZE914's are good too
i presume these a slightly less performance orientated than say the 472/473 with a longer life?

Last edited:

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
The 914's are brand new... I rate them as highly as my Hankook V12's which are superb.

I never rated the FK451 / FK452's myself.

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
does anyone know what load rating i should need? the eagle f1s are £99 for 88s or £103 for 92s?
and camskill do the vreds in the right size but they are lower rated than the eagle f1s.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
I'm on the look out for 2 new rear tyres. Has anyone tried the new Falken 453? They supersede the 452, which is the tyre I have been running on my LCR for the last few years.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
the code in blue is different and they give very different results for fuel economy..
like you im wondering what the difference is!

oh and grippy.co.uk have these fitted for £117.99 (may vary for area)
camskill (delivery only) are £102 (XL) and you get £10 in fuel vouchers for each pair ordered (at time of writting)

i presume these a slightly less performance orientated than say the 472/473 with a longer life?

Hey Andy, I'm glad I saw your link above for www.grippy.co.uk as they are quoting £89.49 all in fitted at my front door for Falken 453! Best fitted price I have seen online so far, though blackcircles.com is £80 delivered, but would obviously need to find and pay someone to fit 2 of them.

Xizor

Sep 22, 2002
Oxfordshire
Visit site
How much! :O

Kumho ku31's or falken ze914's

No need to go for mega expensive tyres! Can't go wrong with middle range kumho's / falkens!!

I agree, don't waste your money on overpriced premium tyres.

Just put a set of Kumho KU37's on my LCR. Nice and quiet and plenty of grip in the wet and dry. Great price too!

Tyres are very difficult to buy because you can't try before you buy. Can't take them back if you don't like them either. :(

andycupra

status subject to change
Hey Andy, I'm glad I saw your link above for www.grippy.co.uk as they are quoting £89.49 all in fitted at my front door for Falken 453! Best fitted price I have seen online so far, though blackcircles.com is £80 delivered, but would obviously need to find and pay someone to fit 2 of them.

hi,

i was looking at the Ze914s maybe, but grippy seem to think they are no longer available..
Id liek to go back to goodyears, maybe i need to save my pennies

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
I agree, don't waste your money on overpriced premium tyres.

Just put a set of Kumho KU37's on my LCR. Nice and quiet and plenty of grip in the wet and dry. Great price too!

Tyres are very difficult to buy because you can't try before you buy. Can't take them back if you don't like them either. :(

I disagree with this tbh, I've driven a variety of cars with a huge span of tyres and notice the improvements in the more expensive tyres. Yeah fair enough mid range tyres are adequate but the premium brands like pirelli and continental have much better construction and road handling. But then again I have the advantage of being a single Franchise mechanic so can know the cars I work on like the back of my hand.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
hi,

i was looking at the Ze914s maybe, but grippy seem to think they are no longer available..
Id liek to go back to goodyears, maybe i need to save my pennies

The 914 looks like a good tyre... http://www.falken-europe.de/?q=en/reifen

However I think the 453 is their flagship model, but tbh they all cost roughly the same from what I have seen.

Also with regards to grippy.co.uk who quoted me online £89.49 per tyre all in fitted for the 453 (thats including their FB discount too!) I called them up to see if they could do better as I got a local place to price match them and they came down to £85 all in fitted per tyre. In other words once you have your best price, even if its them, just call them up and ask if they will price match a local place to you who have quoted you £5 less per tyre. Call their bluff as they didn't check with me (though it was true!) the young lady just asked her manager and he simply said yes! So you could easily save a further £20 on 4 tyres! :)

Last edited:

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
I disagree with this tbh, I've driven a variety of cars with a huge span of tyres and notice the improvements in the more expensive tyres. Yeah fair enough mid range tyres are adequate but the premium brands like pirelli and continental have much better construction and road handling. But then again I have the advantage of being a single Franchise mechanic so can know the cars I work on like the back of my hand.

I agree we only run Pirelli.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.