Considering getting a cupra.... Worth it???

Lukeyy

Apr 10, 2012
Watford
Hi all

I currently have 2010 bocanegra which I had for a year now on a 3 year hire purchase. There's a black 2010 leon cupra facelift with 17,500 miles for £12,995 at my local seat garage.

So anyway went in there today and ended up test driving it and I was very impressed over the boc. Anyway we talked figures and it would only be an extra 20 a month than for I'm paying now but for four years hire purchase. The main reason is my warranty on my boc has ran out so if any problem now arises I'm paying for it etc.

So I just wanted to know a few things:

1. What's it's like to live with? What friends etc think of it? Mpg etc

2. Any common problems?

3. Now the only mod I'm very keen to get is a milltek cupra r exhaust (twin pipes like the golf r). Does anyone know how much this costs with all the new diffuser etc?

4. Just a short summary of your leon cupra

Thanks would be appreciated :)

If all goes smoothly could be mine by next Thursday :)

Thanks

Luke

Apr 9, 2009
I've just gone from a Boc to a Leon Cupra and the Leon feels much better inside (Even more so with your facelift model) I do miss my boc, it was a lot of fun even though it was less powerful. The Cupra doesn't get great mpg compared to the boc so bare that in mind as you will spend more per month on petrol lol

I'm looking forward to modding my Leon as i think i'll be much happier with it in comparison!

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
Got an FL LCR and for the most part i love it - though (hypocritically i admit) i do keep thinking of downing it for an Audi S3 of the right spec.

On a run i can squeeze 34/35mpg if the roads are right etc.

My mates love it, it's pretty damned good to live with really, biggest pita atm really is that it constantly wants to spin in 1st,2nd and in some cases 3rd with all this cold/damp/wet weather were having atm, it's been VERY reliable - no real trouble at all and is very practical and easy to live with and bloody quick too:D

Mine has the Milltek TB system on and last i knew the system alone was somet like £1200+ (mine has the sportcat)

Last edited:

Lukeyy

Apr 10, 2012
Watford
My boc hasn't played up since I've had it (touchwood) apart from minor niggles. My warranty has ran out and I've heard horror stories with other boc owners so I can't be living with a potential problem.

I can imagine the leon won't be as fun to drive as it won't be as chuckable as the boc. Also I've seen videos of cupra s spinning in 3rd which does concern me abit about how much power is actually usable when doing standing start sprints etc. my mate has a 2.0tsi sirocco and he says its bad in the wet putting power down. Handling wise I didn't really get to test this out which was a shame. Does it tend to under steer, grip well?

My job now is only 4miles from mine so I'm not going to be doing many miles in it so the fuel bill will be higher but not by much. I hope lol

Downsides with this particular car is it has no Bluetooth and sunroof. Also it doesn't have the LCD screen radio :( which my mates sirocco has which looks pretty snazzy.

Lukeyy

Apr 10, 2012
Watford
Got an FL LCR and for the most part i love it - though (hypocritically i admit) i do keep thinking of downing it for an Audi S3 of the right spec.

On a run i can squeeze 34/35mpg if the roads are right etc.

My mates love it, it's pretty damned good to live with really, biggest pita atm really is that it constantly wants to spin in 1st,2nd and in some cases 3rd with all this cold/damp/wet weather were having atm, it's been VERY reliable - no real trouble at all and is very practical and easy to live with and bloody quick too:D

Mine has the Milltek TB system on and last i knew the system alone was somet like £1200+ (mine has the sportcat)

Thanks for the feedback :) do you have any videos of the exhaust???

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
Thanks for the feedback :) do you have any videos of the exhaust???

No mate sorry, never done any vids of the car at all!

Does sound lovely though, nice burble at idle and isn't too boomy either if you sit at 70mph ish on the m/way - does get quite loud if you give it the beans though!:D

One thing you may want to consider though! The engines seem to suffer quite badly from mayo (emulsified oil) in the filler neck etc if you only use them for very short journeys and never really get the oil hot! Mine suffers like this as i'm only doing about 4/5 miles to work in a morning (go a different route home at night which is longer deliberatley) which obviously points to the engine/oil never getting upto temp (in the morning atleast) just thought it worth mentioning. it has got me thinking about leaving the car at home and getting another mountain bike to go to work n back on with the journey being so short, but i'm too lazy to do it!:rofl:

One wee point that a lot o folks don't realise is that your engine oil can take a good 10/15+mins longer than your coolant to come upto temp, and by this i mean when you see your coolant temp gauge reach normal (half way'ish) temps, then your oil will still need a good bit longer before it reaches it's proper operating temp. i fitted an oil temp gauge to a previous car so can speak from experience of seeing how much longer it took to come up!

Last edited:

Lukeyy

Apr 10, 2012
Watford
No mate sorry, never done any vids of the car at all!

Does sound lovely though, nice burble at idle and isn't too boomy either if you sit at 70mph ish on the m/way - does get quite loud if you give it the beans though!:D

One thing you may want to consider though! The engines seem to suffer quite badly from mayo (emulsified oil) in the filler neck etc if you only use them for very short journeys and never really get the oil hot! Mine suffers like this as i'm only doing about 4/5 miles to work in a morning (go a different route home at night which is longer deliberatley) which obviously points to the engine/oil never getting upto temp (in the morning atleast) just thought it worth mentioning. it has got me thinking about leaving the car at home and getting another mountain bike to go to work n back on with the journey being so short, but i'm too lazy to do it!:rofl:

Thanks for the advice :) look you'd never see me riding a bike to work.

So do you reckon its worth it? It felt amazing but you can't really tell after a 10min test drive

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
Thanks for the advice :) look you'd never see me riding a bike to work.

So do you reckon its worth it? It felt amazing but you can't really tell after a 10min test drive

Well only you can really decide that can't ya!

If you fancy a change & you liked the Cupra then yeah i'd say go for it, there's a lot of potential for tuning/pepping them up & making them a damn sight quicker if you find what you have isn't enough and they do look good, are comfortable/practical blah blah blah.

Yes - laying the power in the damp/wet can be a pita and the soft engine bushings can sometimes give rise to a horrible sounding "bang bang bang" from the wheel tramp you get (maybe the Cupra isn't quite as bad as the LCR for this!?!?), but this can be cut down to a great degree for not a lot of money spent on a SALK/lower engine mount combo.

Being brutally honest i do keep thinking of an S3 over my LCR, but for silly reasons if i'm honest, and i've never driven one so don't know if it would address the stupidly pidly picky things i wish my LCR did a bit better!!! If you want to know what i mean then:-

1) As comfortable as the seats are in the LCR (& they are comfy!) i do kinda wish they gave more support up around your shoulders when ya want to chuck it about a bit more (my old CTR seats were brilliant in this regard as they hugged you and held you tightly) and some of the S3's come with the RS4 style buckets which looks like they offer greater support (whether they actually do or not though!???)

2) The standard stereo isn't bad, but can be bettered, and on mine i've swapped it out for an aftermarket jobbie with upgraded speakers etc, but i still think it lacks some bass and can sound a bit "tinny" & harsh on some tracks, and some S3's have the Bose sound system which i'd think will sound pretty bloody sweet compared to mine i suspect!

3) With the S3 having Quatro i suspect that laying the power in wet weather will be MUCH less hassle and mean better get-aways/launches on the occasions when you don't want spin - but is all too easy to provoke with a powerful FWD car! Downside i suspect with an S3 would be increased weight meaning pound for pound in the dry the LCR would be quicker (More so once rolling)

Sorry for going off on one there as that's just my theories really as i have nothing concrete to back it up, but thought i'd atleast explain myself fully incase you were wondering!;)

End of the day if you liked the cupra and like i say you fancy a change anyway then why not mate, there's a lot to like imo.

Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
Well only you can really decide that can't ya!

If you fancy a change & you liked the Cupra then yeah i'd say go for it, there's a lot of potential for tuning/pepping them up & making them a damn sight quicker if you find what you have isn't enough and they do look good, are comfortable/practical blah blah blah.

Yes - laying the power in the damp/wet can be a pita and the soft engine bushings can sometimes give rise to a horrible sounding "bang bang bang" from the wheel tramp you get (maybe the Cupra isn't quite as bad as the LCR for this!?!?), but this can be cut down to a great degree for not a lot of money spent on a SALK/lower engine mount combo.

Being brutally honest i do keep thinking of an S3 over my LCR, but for silly reasons if i'm honest, and i've never driven one so don't know if it would address the stupidly pidly picky things i wish my LCR did a bit better!!! If you want to know what i mean then:-

1) As comfortable as the seats are in the LCR (& they are comfy!) i do kinda wish they gave more support up around your shoulders when ya want to chuck it about a bit more (my old CTR seats were brilliant in this regard as they hugged you and held you tightly) and some of the S3's come with the RS4 style buckets which looks like they offer greater support (whether they actually do or not though!???)

2) The standard stereo isn't bad, but can be bettered, and on mine i've swapped it out for an aftermarket jobbie with upgraded speakers etc, but i still think it lacks some bass and can sound a bit "tinny" & harsh on some tracks, and some S3's have the Bose sound system which i'd think will sound pretty bloody sweet compared to mine i suspect!

3) With the S3 having Quatro i suspect that laying the power in wet weather will be MUCH less hassle and mean better get-aways/launches on the occasions when you don't want spin - but is all too easy to provoke with a powerful FWD car! Downside i suspect with an S3 would be increased weight meaning pound for pound in the dry the LCR would be quicker (More so once rolling)

Sorry for going off on one there as that's just my theories really as i have nothing concrete to back it up, but thought i'd atleast explain myself fully incase you were wondering!;)

End of the day if you liked the cupra and like i say you fancy a change anyway then why not mate, there's a lot to like imo.

Man after my own heart - apart from the critique on the sound system. I don't give a toss, if I can hear music I don't really care about the quality 'cos most of the time I turn it off whe i'm booting the car...

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
Man after my own heart - apart from the critique on the sound system. I don't give a toss, if I can hear music I don't really care about the quality 'cos most of the time I turn it off whe i'm booting the car...

Lol!

Like i say i was being REALLY picky with that wee list as for the most part my LCR ticks EVERY box i want it too and the pace of thing is something i don't htink i'll ever get bored of as they are a genuinely quick car! The stereo sounds good enough 95% of the time, but the ood track does show up it weaknesses, but like anything it's horses for courses isn't it!

My biggest single gripe atm is the lack of traction or how easy it is to break in the lower gears atleast, Ive got decent rubber on all four corners but would just like it more if it layed the power a bit better! maybe a proper ATB LSD would help with this quite a lot, but i don't really fancy spending £1500+ to find out and with the car having that XDS thing and traction control aswell would it a waste of time anyway!???

Be a different story anyway when we finally get some drier/warmer weather!

Last edited:

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
thing is though you are saying your warranty expires soon on 2010 boc then you want a 2010 leon cupra where the warranty expires this year...... doesnt add up to me pal. and your paying more a month for the same age of car. just a thought for ya matey.

kohmikey

Black Ibiza SC Cupra
Oct 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
I was in exactly the same situation as you, I had my Ibiza cupra 60 plate and it was coming up to the point where I needed to either trade it in, give it back or keep it. Whilst I was car shopping I came across a red LCR 11 plate ex demo 3000 miles on clock for £18k. I have always wanted a one and have never been in the situation to shell out £20k plus for one and bearing in mind I didn't need the mpg anymore because I changed jobs and now work 4/5 miles from home I bit the bullet and bought it. I can honestly say apart from the Bluetooth there isn't anything else I really miss. The leon seems much more planted and I really did miss normal gear changing so love driving again now. This might sound strange but I didn't like the feeling that the Ibiza engine was going to mess up at any point whereas with the leon it does feel bulletproof (touch wood lol). You need to bear in mind I was seeing 35-40 mpg round town with the Ibiza and doing the same driving am seeing 20-25mpg in the leon but I knew there would be a difference.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.