oil temp gauge fixing....

davepm-mk3

Sep 17, 2012
right im wanting to fit an oil temp gauge to my car and believe that you put the sender unit into where the sump plug bolts in. only problem is my cupra is about an inch off the ground so will tear the bugger out :( is there anywhere else i can put it to pick up a reading?

thanks

Depending on what make you get the sensors only stick 5mm or so out so woundnt get smashed off.

My AEM sensor sticks out quite a bit

20121119_185103.jpg

20121119_185110.jpg

20121119_185126.jpg

My car is inch off the ground also (i am running a shallow sump tho 10mm shorter over oem 1) amd mine hasnt got a mark on it

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Mine is fitted in the oil filter housing and I regularly see 120 'c on the gauge... Is this as its in the housing as opposed to the sump?

Iirc I was told the correct way is in the sump.. But was fitted when I bought it. Am I right thinking that it causes high readings in the filter housing??

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
never fitted a oil temp sender in the sump
if you look at cars that have a standard fit oil temp sender they are allways fitted in the oil filter housing or have a temp/pressure sender combined that is fitted in the engine block or filter housing

Oem senders will be in the block or oil filter housing as thats where there designed to go lol

Iirc aftermarket are designed to go into the sump as they need to be completely submerged in oil

I only see 170 F° on hard thrash and 140 -150 F° normal driving :)

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Oem senders will be in the block or oil filter housing as thats where there designed to go lol

Iirc aftermarket are designed to go into the sump as they need to be completely submerged in oil

I only see 170 F° on hard thrash and 140 -150 F° normal driving :)

Ah this must be what I heard.

. Hmmm...170f is less than 80'c matey. 140 is 60'c they can't be real numbers, your oil should be about 95'c when warm... 100' f is 37'c which is a really hot day. Do you run an oil cooler?

Mine is 95 warm and works up to 120 if kicking it a bit.. This is Celsius. And I feel also a little hot.

Last edited:

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
20121230_113101.jpg

I only drive 10miles a time so might be that.

I run a stat sandwhich plate which opens at 80° my cooler maybe slightly to big for stage 1 haha

Running 1 of them intake gaskets aswell lol

The short journey will be the culprit, it can cause excessive wear if not heated properly. Try taking it a good 15 mile blast n then kick its ass a lil and see what temp you get. Iirc 90 to 105'c is optimum temp. 194 to 221'F

With the thermo plate it shouldn't over cool.

JacketJ

Jul 13, 2008
Hampshire
Mine usually sits at 90 in normal driving, have seen almost 110 but that was a hot day and a long hard drive. This is with the stock cupra r gauge. 120 does sound pretty hot.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Mine usually sits at 90 in normal driving, have seen almost 110 but that was a hot day and a long hard drive. This is with the stock cupra r gauge. 120 does sound pretty hot.

If sat at 85 mph plus and boosting up n down with stopping in traffic etc it does get to 120'c, switching on the air con brings it down again tho... Making me think its the sensor itself getting hot causing the high reading rather than the oil heating it to that temp. Never gets a boosting till its at 90' and generally calm down a little when it reaches 120'

Where is you temp sensor located as I can buy one from the dealer if I know where it is located...

Last edited:

JacketJ

Jul 13, 2008
Hampshire
If sat at 85 mph plus and boosting up n down with stopping in traffic etc it does get to 120'c, switching on the air con brings it down again tho... Making me think its the sensor itself getting hot causing the high reading rather than the oil heating it to that temp. Never gets a boosting till its at 90' and generally calm down a little when it reaches 120'

Where is you temp sensor located as I can buy one from the dealer if I know where it is located...

Had a gander today - looks like it's in the housing just above the oil filter.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.